Question--want to lose fat but gain a bum [read]

Options
HI everybody! First post--be nice to me!

Basically, I'm eating at a 500 cal a day deficit [trying to anyway] to lose weight--Im a classic apple shape. All belly and boobs with a small bum. My legs have always been strong and solid, my bum has a nice curve to it but like every girl doing squats, I'd like it to be bigger, rounder, perkier, whatever-er.

Now from what im reading in the other forums, you need to eat above TDEE to gain muscle mass... but i want to gain muscle mass pretty much only there-arms and legs [abs too, clearly] i'd just like fat loss +toning and strength.

So basically im confused. If i eat above my TDEE to get a bigger bum, don't i run the risk of gaining elsewhere? If i stay under, at my deficit, will squats work? or will it all be in vain if im eating at a 500 cal deficit? I want the bigger curvier booty but not at the cost of also getting a bigger, rounder gut! so should i keep eating under or start eating over my TDEE? =[ help

hope this makes sense. any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Most of the time you don't really need to gain much mass to display more tone. Also as you lose the weight your bum may stay the same size and look for proportionate. I'm not a beachbody coach or anything but I would recommend the beachbody program Brazilian Butt Lift. It's hard but it does wonders for your butt!
  • Appalachia7
    Appalachia7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reading up on Pauline Nordin's butt building exercise information. She has a website. I am apple -shaped also and her Butt Bible exercises have really helped me.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    thank you darling! appreciate it. afraid 'tone' means 'shrinkage' though =[ will check into brazillian butt lift. hard is good! if thats you in your picture you have my dream arms!
  • amandakev88
    Options
    will check it out! thank you!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    squats and the elliptical are two of the very best things for your butt.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You could try eating at maintenance and lifting in the hypertrophy rep range (and weight) for your butt. I don't know what you'd do for the other parts as the answer always seems to be 'lift heavy', lol.

But the butt part is the best way I can think of that isn't a bulk.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    thank you darling! appreciate it. afraid 'tone' means 'shrinkage' though =[ will check into brazillian butt lift. hard is good! if thats you in your picture you have my dream arms!

By tone I meant firm and develop the muscle. My measurements are smaller because I have lost weight but my butt is perkier and sticks out more since I got it toned. I agree butt bible is also great, albeit a little repetitive

Thanks! It's my son and I in the pic ;)
  • Adriennrus
    Adriennrus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do lunges for a lifted and round butt, they actually say it makes your bum a bitt bigger by lifting it.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i'm an apple and doing weight training. I'm eating at a very slight deficit, but have increased protein and lowered carbs. I'm happy to notice that my but is not disappearing and in fact is getting a bit of a lift. My weight loss is slow but steady.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    The elliptical or arc trainer make my butt bigger and that is not what I need. Squats and lunges also help
  • amandakev88
    Options
    all very helpful. thank you-will look into what cafeaulait said as well as lunges but lunges literally KILL me.. like not in the good, feel the burn way, but in that they physically hurt everything, every joint, every muscle. ive tried changing form, weights, no weights, etc. i can do a few before my knees and lower back start getting this really bizarre feeling. hard to explain =\
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Looking to the strong curves program. I know it has lunges, and if those don't work for you, definitely look into the other lifts in the program. You can't spot gain weight just like you can't lose. I'd recommend eating adequate protein levels to help preserve muscle mass, continue eating at a moderate deficit and incorporate more lifts that target the glutes.