Is it possible to drop two dress sizes in two months?

Options
Has anyone done it?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll bite. :smile:

If you're in a calorie deficit, a dress size is generally about 10 pounds lost, which would be 20 pounds in two months. This is just a general estimate, but that's too much to lose too fast, I think, unless you are obese.

No, have not done it and I don't care to, unless I'm eating at a surplus, building his body of mine, and end up losing 2 dress sizes in two months from weight lifting.

Have you done it?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

If you're in a calorie deficit, a dress size is generally about 10 pounds lost, which would be 20 pounds in two months. This is just a general estimate, but that's too much to lose too fast, I think, unless you are obese.

No, have not done it and I don't care to, unless I'm eating at a surplus, building his body of mine, and end up losing 2 dress sizes in two months from weight lifting.

Have you done it?

I disagree with the 10 lb part....sort of. I'm willing to concede that is true for some sizes, but, for example if you were going from a 24 to a 22 it might be more like 20 or more lbs.

When I started losing weight I did lose 2 dress sizes in 2 months (well, pant sizes) while losing less than 10lbs, but I also had started heavy weight lifting. I lost another pant size after I was in maintenance with losing no weight (body comp changing). But I do agree with your message that for most people it probably involves losing weight too quickly.

So...i guess I really don't actually disagree.

Unless you want to start lifting weights, op.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    If we equate dress sizes to men's pant sizes, then I have dropped a pant size per month for the past five months. However, when I started at 355 pounds I had a lot of weight to lose so, to be honest, that feat is not all that spectacular. I am still a fair ways from my goal and my rapid shrinkage is starting to slow down.

So, is it possible? Yes, but not for most people. For most people it is probably more dangerous than what happened to me due to the higher percentage of weight loss that this would entail.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on a number of factors. If you are short it might be easier. I think my situation was unusual, but I lost 10 pounds or less and went down 2-3 sizes. I had also just started lifting weights. It took me about 2 months. But, I was already pretty slim, I just got leaner and firmer. And it took me six months to see all the full changes and improvements from lifting weights. At first my legs really were going through a transformation and I could see major changes and shifts in my muscles. I also got a lot of knots in my muscles, so I need to use the foam roller and get my thighs deep tissue massaged by a professional (and I ended up covered in a crazy amount of bruises). So, that's my weird story.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    No one can really tell you, as it depends where you carry the weight. I lost 25lbs, and only one dress size, and yet I'm only 4'11 and 117lbs.

Plus dress sizes vary so widely from store to store/ different fits. And if you add in exercise there's one more factor to estimate.

If you have a specific weight/ body fat percentage in mind that would be more helpful in telling you whether it was realistic or not.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It took me 15lbs to drop a jean size - that was 155lbs to 140lbs, I'm 5'2" and even then it only happened once I started strength training.

I hold all my weight in my bum and thighs and am losing slowly from there but dropped 2 top sizes in the same time as I lost a lot of belly and arm weight.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    No one can really tell you, as it depends where you carry the weight. I lost 25lbs, and only one dress size, and yet I'm only 4'11 and 117lbs.

Plus dress sizes vary so widely from store to store/ different fits. And if you add in exercise there's one more factor to estimate.

If you have a specific weight/ body fat percentage in mind that would be more helpful in telling you whether it was realistic or not.

I agree. No two makers have the same size dresses. Even if they claim to be the same size.

It also depends on the person, how much they have to lose, and where the extra fat comes off.
    I'm only 5'3" and there was a time where it seemed like I was buying new (smaller) pants every couple of months. I went from a size 16 to a size 6 in aboout a year.
  • Ben_Avery
    Ben_Avery Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is easy, depending you start high enough. If your a 20+ size, go for it. If your a <10 size, get help.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    You also can not guarantee where the weight will go from - I've lost over 60lbs and have gone from a size 22 to size 18 pants but my tops have gone from an 18/20 to a size 14. Again is can also depend upon the store as I've noticed that some places are far more generous than others.
  • Adriennrus
    Adriennrus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually noticed that size goes down a bit after you lose the weight, in my case I lost, 15 kg and dropped only 1 size, but then I didn't lose any weight for months, only 1-2 kg and suddenly I was one size smaller again. Obviously you can make that process quicker by exercising.
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'll add some more detail! Thanks first off all everyone :) I am short, at just about 5'2. As for where I carry the weight, I am basically only a size 16 because I am VERY large-chest (actually going to a breast reduction consultation tomorrow). I have started doing some weight training, but it's slow-going because I feel awkward when I do it.

The reason I want to lose in that amount of time is because I found a BRAND NEW BCBGMAXARIA dress at a thrift store for only $10 (original price was 60 - the tag and everything was still on the dress, seriously never worn) and I just hate waiting. I bought it because I didn't have time to try it on before the store closed but I haaadd to have it. Honestly, if I can't lose two dress sizes that fast, so long as I lose by my birthday in April I am good :)

So, just to make sure though, it's easier to go down in dress sizes/full body inches with weight lifting?

I found a dress size calculator based on inches, and it appears that I have to lose around 7-10 inches in my bust, waist and hips separately to be a size 12. Yikes! Guess I am bigger than I thought. http://clairehunter.com/dress-size-calculator.htm
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Have you done it?

I disagree with the 10 lb part....sort of. I'm willing to concede that is true for some sizes, but, for example if you were going from a 24 to a 22 it might be more like 20 or more lbs.

When I started losing weight I did lose 2 dress sizes in 2 months (well, pant sizes) while losing less than 10lbs, but I also had started heavy weight lifting. I lost another pant size after I was in maintenance with losing no weight (body comp changing). But I do agree with your message that for most people it probably involves losing weight too quickly.

So...i guess I really don't actually disagree.

Unless you want to start lifting weights, op.
    I think you are right about the sizes.