Body changes with weight loss?

Options
I am a guy that has started dieting about a month ago. I really like myfitnesspal and it has been pretty effective. I've lost about 12 pounds total from when I started, but I only switched over to myfitnesspal 3 weeks ago from livestrong. What im wondering is why I am losing this weight but noticing nothing different with my body?

I wasn't overweight in the start, I am 5'11" 168 pounds currently btw. I used to consume on average probably 3500 calories a day on average because I snacked like crazy. I weight train about 3 times a week and I haven't noticed an difference in my strength besides a very minimal drop on my bench results. I still have a lot of weight in my stomach and side area, so I would just like to know when everyone thinks I would notice changes.

Also I have kept track of measurements and i have lost about an inch on my waist and hips, and my jeans are feeling much more loose. I take a picture every week and notice nothing different from week 1 to week 5.

Thanks for any responses!

Replies

• popmaeas
    popmaeas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also I perform cardio exercises pretty often I play basketball often, about 4-5 days a week and live a pretty active life.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    If you are as active as you say, your protein intake could be on the low side. As a result, you may not be seeing the results you are expecting because your body is busy destroying the muscle you are trying to build up. What you should do is switch out some of your carbs for proteins. For someone as active as yourself 30% protein, or even higher, is what I would expect on your diary. At the moment it looks like it is less than 25% for the past couple of weeks.

What you should see after a couple of weeks of an increased protein intake is an increase in your strength and a reduction in overall fat.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    What is your weight training like? You said 3 days a week, but do you just to a full body workout each day or do you have a day dedicated to different muscle groups. What kind of set and rep schemes are you using and are you lifting to failure? I'd have to disagree with the above poster, to me it looks like you've been consuming plenty of protein. For your bodyweight, anything over 140g of protein will just be used for energy and will no longer be used for muscle synthesis, so as long as you're consuming 140g+ per day of protein, you're getting the full benefit for your muscles.
  • popmaeas
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, and for weight training I do perform full body workouts, I lift until failure usually, and I lift medium reps medium weight usually. I would certainly say that my lifting isn't intense though and I do know that I take too long of breaks between sets.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not comparing pics every week. If I were you (I wish I had taken at least 1 pic before starting strength-training), I would compare photos less often. I think this would be more effective on a monthly basis. What I noticed is that it takes about 6 weeks to see a difference in your body.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    In 3 weeks that 12 lbs is mostly water weight.. your not going to notice that in most cases. Its going to take a bit of time to start noticing it as your body doesn't always take weight from where you think it should.
  • gr34t
    gr34t Posts: 15
    Options
    Additionally to what others have said, keep in mind that you will be losing quite a bit of water when you start building up your deficit. I haven't checked your diary but losing 12lbs of 'tissue' (fat and muscle) in 3 weeks is rather rare (think of hardcore marathon runners who run one marathon a day over weeks who lose that much).

However, I feel your confusion. I've lost 28lbs in the last 3.5 months and see improvements in the mirror - but less than I would have expected. I realise the change in clothing size etc. but having gone from borderline obese to average (based on %body fat) should have been a bigger difference - a difference that other people notice, though. What's the reason for this? Your brain. Give it time to adjust to the fact that your physical appearance has changed. As with everything, our brain sees what it wants to see (ie is used to).
  • popmaeas
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yeah I kinda figured I could still be losing water weight and I will stick to my diet and see if I get results.
  • popmaeas
    Options
    Just an update: I've now noticed body changes and my waist is becoming thinner! I'd just definitely advise that if people are getting discouraged by not seeing fast results, just keep going! You will see results and just keep working!