finally introducing myself after being a lurker for ages..

Options
hi all! no idea what to write but why the f not...

amanda here.. 25.. super apple shape, basic knowledge of weight loss... love strength training, hate cardio and dieting, im told a 'lifestyle change' is the way to go by my best friend, who hasn't denied herself any food she wanted but made sure to eat all her veggies and healthy stuff FIRST. she lost thirty pounds as a result.

ive used mfp for awhile but never really used the site to its full capacity. hope to make some friends and maybe get some real, sustainable advice from people =]

Replies

• hasses
    hasses Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda,

I'm personally the other way around haha. I like to do cardio but don't enjoy strength training, even though I know that it's good to gain muscle since muscle burns more calories than fat. I think your friend has some good advice. i just really try to watch my portion sizes by weighing my food and trying not to eat too much "junk" food, although I don't cut it out altogether. My New Year's resolution this year was to eat more fruits and veggies, and I've actually found that eating fruits throughout the day helps curb my sweet tooth.

I've also never used the community part of MFP before, but I needed some inspiration and new motivation, so I figured what the hey!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not required for weight loss, or for fat loss. You can absolutely lose fat by just adhering to a calorie deficit and doing little, or even no cardio. Strength training coupled with an adequate protein intake (much higher than MFP recommends) will ensure that you preserve your muscle mass while losing weight so that most of your weight loss is fat. My suggestion:

1. Set up proper macros for your body weight
    2. Eat whatever you want that has you meeting your macro goals, your fiber goal, your micronutrient goals, and your calorie goal and you will absolutely lose the weight you want
    3. Lift heavy to failure to force your muscles to stick around
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not required for weight loss, or for fat loss. You can absolutely lose fat by just adhering to a calorie deficit and doing little, or even no cardio. Strength training coupled with an adequate protein intake (much higher than MFP recommends) will ensure that you preserve your muscle mass while losing weight so that most of your weight loss is fat. My suggestion:

1. Set up proper macros for your body weight
    2. Eat whatever you want that has you meeting your macro goals, your fiber goal, your micronutrient goals, and your calorie goal and you will absolutely lose the weight you want
    3. Lift heavy to failure to force your muscles to stick around

this sounds awesome, AJ_G.. except i have no idea what proper 'macros' for me are =[ and if i did, im scared its another one of those fads that'll hurt my in the long run.. what you said about cardio is a relief though.. i love a woman with muscles but cardio seems to drain the life out of me =[
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    also--i cant get over how nice and helpful people here are! thank you guys =]