Help! I hate my elliptical!!

Options
Ok, I need some advice. I have a very nice elliptical sitting in my bedroom. The problem is that I hate that thing!! I get bored. I have tried to listen to my ipod or looking through a book or magazine while I plug away on it, but after about 15 minutes I am done with it. Another question is when is a good time to spend some quality time with my elliptical? I leave early for work and I stay fairly active all day at my job. When I come home, by the time I get the kids to bed, it is about 9:00-9:30. Is this too late for me to try to rekindle any relationship I once had with that dreaded machine? What do you do to occupy your time on these boring indoor machines?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i also hate the elliptical. i mean seriously exactly what movement is that supposed to simulate in real life anyway :laugh:

if i were you i'd try to trade it with someone who has a rower but wants an eliptical
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Can you watch TV on it? You could also switch it up. You don't have to do the elliptical exclusively just because you have one. 15 minutes on elliptical, 15 minutes of a video, something like that. Do some weights for part of your routine.

Some people don't like working out at night because they have trouble falling asleep. But if that doesn't bother you, go for it.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my elliptical - it has been relegated to the basement and rarely gets used.

But, when I DO manage to get on it for any amount of time, I try to change up the settings every few minutes to keep things somewhat interesting. Changing the resistance or pedalling backwards helps. If that doesn't work, just do something else :ohwell:
  • Dragonslayer183
    Dragonslayer183 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You body eventually get use to treadmills, ellipticals, ect. I use a variety of workout videos. I recommend fitnessblender.com
  • mylimeputtymortar
    Options
    I watch TV and time goes by fast. Do 6 miles each session
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is the worst piece of equipment for me. No, wait, the stationary bike just might beat it! Don't do it. Jump rope and do bodyweight exercises instead.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio in general... Ahem.... Put a tv In front and veg out to a show. Or if it has a stand prop a tablet up and watch Netflix.

If you really can't stand it- sell it! Go outside for a run (Which you're obligated to be more present and aware for) and invest in some weights.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You body eventually get use to treadmills, ellipticals, ect. I use a variety of workout videos. I recommend fitnessblender.com
    that's why you either go faster or use more resistance.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    if you have an ipad, download and watch a tv show you wanted to watch but haven't watched.

And make a pact to only watch one episode while on the elliptical.

This should give you 45 min - 1 hour of good elliptical time.

7 seasons? That's a good 6-7 months on the elliptical lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    If you hate it, then you'll probably never use it. So get rid of it and get/do something else you at least partially enjoy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike the elliptical until I met the Arc Trainer :noway:

When I am on the elliptical I put on my headphones and turn the music up loud, then I kind of imagine I am dancing and get a rhythm going then I get really into it! Songs that work well for me on the elliptical include: "The Distance" Cake, "Let the bodies hit the floor" Drowning Pool and "Dreams" Fleetwood Mac.

I really prefer the treadmill, I like running on it and walking intervals, but my knees and hips can't take it for long or every day. The elliptical is good for people like me whose knees or hips can't take as much impact.
  • ejs192
    ejs192 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you feel done every 15 minutes, just do 15 minutes - once in the morning and once at night. That's 30 minutes a day.

Or, set yourself a goal - you can get off when you've burned a certain number of calories - and race yourself (try to get there a little faster every day).

It definitely works to find a guilty pleasure (magazine or TV show) that you only indulge when on the elliptical... for a long time, I didn't have cable TV at home and could only watch it at the gym. I would spend a full hour doing cardio just so I could see the end of the show!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I agree the elliptical is boring so I do short intense workouts on it when I'm not using it to hang clothes on :tongue:

I'll do 20 minutes 1:1 tabata hiit on it or do squat and oblique intervals hands free on it. Sometimes I'll run on it.

If you really hate it tho sell it.
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Zombies Run 2!
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I've always hated my treadmill. But I completed the C25K program on it last year by watching 30 Rock during each run :smile: pick a tv series that you LOVE and only watch it when you're on the elliptical.
    I am about to embark on some more running and am currently deciding what to watch next. Without a tv show I just can't do it. Exercise is SO tedious.
    Any time is fine, too, by the way. If 9pm is the time you can fit it in, then do it. Better than never. I have been known to do workouts at that hour and I don't even have kids! And man, I sleep well afterwards :laugh:
  • hasses
    hasses Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I ride a stationary bike most of the time and it becomes very boring after a few minutes. I generally watch TV or read a magazine or book to pass the time. If the book is really good I don't even notice that I've been on the bike for 30 minutes. And I usually always work out at night. Seems to work for me.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I actually like the elliptical haha! I do intervals (either 20 sec on, 10 sec off OR 30 sec on, 30 sec off) and increase resistance every minute just to keep it interesting or just vary the resistance in general actually. I also do the usual steady state :smile:
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    This is what I do so I don't fall asleep on the elliptical.

Switch on the TV or some great music.

Set up a timer.

Go one minute HARD on the elliptical, then one minute of push ups, one minute HARD on the elliptical, one minute of sit ups, one minute HARD on the elliptical, one minute of burpees, one minute HARD on the elliptical, one minute plank, then rest one minute.

Repeat 3 or 4 times.

Since you change what you are doing every minute, it is hard to get bored. You should also be sweating buckets and pushing your heart rate high.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you hate it, then you'll probably never use it. So get rid of it and get/do something else you at least partially enjoy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    that ^ ^ ^
    fwiw, I recommend going outside to run (or start out walking and just a little bit run),
    where there sunshine, fresh air, other people, cars, rocks, ditches, and all that stuff makes it fun and interesting :)
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I actually love the elliptical! I use that time to just let my brain do nothing (something I rarely get between work, kids, and husband). Seriously. No music, no TV, nothing. I just pedal away and let my mind go blank.