Please tell me i'm not the only one that gains this easy???

Options
(wasn't sure which forum to put this on)

So today was the big weigh in after Christmas. Reason my start day for my healthy eating is today is because i had NYE last week and went out, NYD (family meal) work do on Saturday and Sun yet another family meal (christmas style) so today was the best day for me to start cause i have nothing in my way now.
I had managed to lose 9.5lbs before Christmas, took me about 7/8weeks and i also got to my Christmas goal of 11st7 (161lbs). 2 weeks on and i have gained a whopping 10.3/4lbs :sad: Luckily i wasn't too devastated when i saw the number cause i've always been able to gain so easily :( When i say to people that i only have to sniff food to gain, i literally mean it!
So, 7/8 weeks to lose 9.5lbs, 2 weeks to gain 10.3/4lbs. Wow that really annoys me, i just wonder how long it will take me to lose this chunk, so bloody easy to gain yet it's different when it comes to losing it. All i know is that i'm so ready to kick *kitten* now!
So does anyone else gain this easy or just me??? x

Replies

• Adriennrus
    Adriennrus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me all the time. My boyfriend literally eats like 1 kg of meat for lunch with potatoes (and he is thin and toned as hell without gym) and I can only eat a salad or some very light meal, because if I have like a normal meal I feel like my tummy is getting heavier. Not to mention if in the holiday season, eating more than average I gained back 5 kgs, something like you.. in 2-3 weeks, and I worked for those to go for months.. So I think we are just unlucky.. I mean if I ever get to be the size I want, maintaining weight will be as hard as dieting. I eat clean and healthy, but cheat days don't work for me, if I cheat one day it crosses out my whole weeks work :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    its more likely that you retain water really easily... its very doubtful that you gained 10lb of fat....
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    During the holiday season (for me, 5 birthday parties, 3 Christmas parties, 2 New Years Eve and Day parties), I 'gained' 4 kilos (just about 9 lbs). After I was done celebrating, I drank tons of water and went on a few long walks with my dog and I lost those 4kg in 2 days. Because it's just water weight.

Unless you ate 33,250 calories above your maintenance, I highly doubt you gained that much "actual" weight.
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I finished Insanity on 22nd Dec and was in the best shape of my life. Took a week off working out and decided to not worry about what I ate for 2 weeks. Now I'm 8lb up and the cut stomach of 2 weeks ago (see profile pic!) is a dim and distant memory! I'm back on it properly this week, and hoping most of it was water :-). You've lost it before, so you can lose it again! I know next year I'll try to remember what this feels like and be a bit more restrained!
  • Dimpleschick55
    Dimpleschick55 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am sorry Charloo. Today was the first weigh in after starting my challenge and I gained too. OK, it was only 0.4 lb that I gained but I was hopeful to have lost that amount of weight or more. It's only been 5 days since my challenge. I've been evaluating my week and my diet so I guess I will need to be more patient and give it more time.

Since May I have started to gain weight more easily and it's frustrating. My job requires rotating shifts so it's hard to eat at the same times. I need to get motivated to add more cardio, like walking daily, but again my job schedule is inconsistent which is a big factor in not being able to eat and exercise when I want to.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's not just you!
    I've always been a very fast weight gainer - the gains tend to be out of all proportion to my intake and activity!!
    Have also always found it incredibly easy to counteract very high exercise levels by what appears to be a normal diet for someone much less active.
    MFP suggested calories for weight loss didn't work for me and I had to custom set my calorie goal.

Typically for me a week away on holiday eating and drinking whatever I want (not a binge - just eating good food without caring about calories) will see about 7lb or 8lb gain even if I'm very active and still working out. Usually I find that a good proportion (~50%) of that is just temporary bloat which goes within a few days of eating normally.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You didn’t gain 10lb of fat. That will be mostly water weight, with a little bit of fat. You also have to bear in mind that when you come from eating at a deficit to eating at maintenance or above, your body starts to replenish its glycogen levels, so it’s completely normal to gain up to 5lb that way. This will happen when you hit your target and up your calories, by the way, so don’t be worried.

It won’t take you that long to lose it either. Get back on track, drink plenty of water and most of that should come off in the next 2 weeks.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I retain water very easily - I 'gained' over the Christmas period, had my weigh in last Sunday and its already all gone. Its mostly water - you may have gained a couple of pounds, but give it a few days you'll notice a massive drop.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    So glad it's not just me and i know it is mainly water weight and after 1 good week a big chunk will be off but it is still annoying cause whenever this happens to me i'll lose about 5lbs in a week and then it slows down after the first week and takes about another 3 weeks to get the remaining gain off. Ordered Jillian Michales Banish fat Boost metabolism last week so that should arrive any day now so exercise defo starts this week and will drink more water to flush all the crap out!

Its42uk, you look amazing and have done so well. As you say, we've done it before, we can do it again!
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    the water retention could be caused by an increased salt intake over christmas - try a week on v. low sodium and see what happens?

(I'm the same, my wife eats about the same as I do but weighs exactly half..)
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Ha ha. Me too.

10 pounds on over 2 weeks of holiday, but 4 of those came off overnight.

I really, REALLY, must stop weighing myself so much!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Not just you. You eat too much, the weight goes on. Metabolism never varies to the extent that other people can be gluttenous and stay thin.