A new runner with Shin Splints

Options
Hello all,

I've recently taken up running and signed up for the London Duathlon later in 2014, which is a 10k Run, 44k cycle and a further 5k run.

I cycle a lot already, and do regular 40+ mile rides at speed on the weekends, and my base level of fitness is fine. At the moment I am following a Couch to 10k running program, which is easing me in to running, but after a few weeks I am now finding Shin Splints unbearable. I'm stretching before and after runs, and there's conflicting advice - some say run through, some say stop altogether for a few weeks.

Any real work examples/success stories you can share about what worked for you?

Replies

• aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I sympathise!! I suffered from shin splints when I started distance running a few years ago and they are truly horrible and very frustrating.

I'm not sure exactly what sorted it out for me but I did all of the following and eventually something worked and I've got rid of them now:

1) Build up your running gradually. This is really important as I found that the dreaded shin splints always came on faster if I significantly upped my distances too quickly.
    2) Do some strength training for you legs and core. I started doing body pump and I think my stronger quads and hamstrings have helped a lot with my running efficiency.
    3) Stretch your calves. Tight calves can alter the way you run and put more pressure on other muscles. I found sports massages really helped. Also putting tiger balm or deep heat along my shins before a run seems to minimise the soreness.
    4) See a podiatrist about orthotics and/or the type of trainers you are running in. I know that there are 2 schools of though on this subject, however I have custom insoles which I just wear for long distance runs and they do seem to make a difference.

Good luck!!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Don't try and run through shin splints. You can do serious long-term damage.

The above advice is good, with the emphasis on good running shoes.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    Hi!

Good luck with your duathlon :) I used to suffer awfully with shin splints. Like you said, I found conflicting advice too. The biggest thing for me was having trainers that suited the way I ran, that helped hugely. Also, as the person above me said - strengthening of quad and hamstrings helps and stretching of calves. I ran through it, I took ibuprofen before running and iced and stretched (thoroughly) after running. Make sure you're not pushing yourself too far and allow your body some time to adjust. I was a run through it person, I don't think resting will do anything, it was about building up my strength.

I hope that helps :)
  • mroliver1980
    mroliver1980 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you - all your responses reminded me to pop the equipment down, I use Brooks Beast shoes (as a 300lb/21 stone/135kg runner).

These I'm told should be a good thing!

Thanks for your advice, I always stretch my shins out, but rarely the calves. I'll hit the streets again tonight and feedback after a couple of weeks off.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Running through is only going to make things worse. AIUI, the muscle is being stressed and pulled away from the shin bone. The more you do it, the more it gets pulled. Eventually, it will detach which will require surgery.

Rest is your best option then slowly build back up.

I would also consider increasing your intensity much more slowly (your legs haven't got used to running at the pace or regularity that you're doing it).

Do various leg strength training to work the calves and thighs. (Oddly, I do heavy squats and deads yet still got it.)

Do focused shin exercises eg: lean against a wall with your hips touching the wall, place both feet about 12 inches from the wall (in front of you), raise and lower your toes to strength the muscle and connective tissue in front of the shins. You can also raise and lower the toes any time but the exercise I just described is the best for strengthening without using weights (you can try dumbbell curls but it's awkward; you could also hang upside down from a pull up bar... but that's dangerous).
  • kschlap
    kschlap Posts: 15
    Options
    Back when I was in high school I used to get pretty bad shin splints and would see the school trainer about them. I can't remember exactly what her definition was, but maybe some tendon or muscle was separating from something in the leg. I believe that she told me that they'd remain until I gave them a couple of weeks rest. However, if you must continue to run, then icing your shin splints after you run should help them "cool down" once you finish running. They'll still be sore, but you should be able to continue your activity.

I also invested in a really good pair of shoes, I'd suggest saving the deals on the internet for some other item and going to one of those shoe stores where they have you stand on a machine and measure the pressure points in your foot. Tell them very specifically what you're looking for and then trust the recommendation of the machine. It'll help make running an all around more enjoyable experience. To this, add a shoe insert, once again, I'd suggest going to one of those shoe insert machines and having it measure your foot and give a recommendation.

Basically, I think it's caused by the high impact nature of running and being able to cushion the bounce as much as possible will help your legs. Of course, I'm no doctor and I don't think athletic trainers are doctors either so I can't really speak to the credibility of the whole thing.
  • mroliver1980
    Options
    Thanks all, perhaps the Couch to 10k has ramped up the distance a bit too much. Will shorten the runs a bit and build up slower!
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mine disappeared fairly soon after starting to do toe raises and shin/calf stretches. I didn't lose much weight or change running shoe at the time so I'm reasonably sure it was the new drills.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    FOAM ROLLER AND LACROSS BALL!!!!

1. Get a lacross ball. put it at the bottom of your feet while standing(socks off, bare foot) and roll it around while putting pressure on it. It'll loosen up your entire shin/leg muscles with the pressure point. Do this for 5 min or so.

2. foam roller!!!!

--> put pressure and roll your shin(where it hurts) around on the foam roller. It'll feel EXTREMELY painful and numb. You'll get cold sweats. However, keep doing it( 1 min on, 1 min off x 5-6 times) keep repeating it.

You'll notice that your shin splint is gone in about 6-12 hours. or reduced significantly.

It's pretty amazing actually. I fixed my left shin splint this way every time it appears.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I sympathise!! I suffered from shin splints when I started distance running a few years ago and they are truly horrible and very frustrating.

I'm not sure exactly what sorted it out for me but I did all of the following and eventually something worked and I've got rid of them now:

1) Build up your running gradually. This is really important as I found that the dreaded shin splints always came on faster if I significantly upped my distances too quickly.
    2) Do some strength training for you legs and core. I started doing body pump and I think my stronger quads and hamstrings have helped a lot with my running efficiency.
    3) Stretch your calves. Tight calves can alter the way you run and put more pressure on other muscles. I found sports massages really helped. Also putting tiger balm or deep heat along my shins before a run seems to minimise the soreness.
    4) See a podiatrist about orthotics and/or the type of trainers you are running in. I know that there are 2 schools of though on this subject, however I have custom insoles which I just wear for long distance runs and they do seem to make a difference.

Good luck!!

^^^^ Good advice. My problem turned out to be #3, tight calves. No shin problems once I started focusing on stretching my calves.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Don't run with shin splints. I started running in May. Got shin splints in July/August. I still have them. I don't run now. But have been training at the gym and been doing yoga, trying to build up the strength in my legs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    new sneakers.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    Re-evaluate your shoes like someone else said, the foam roller is amazing!
  • dalguard
    Options
    In addition to trying to run too far, you may be trying to run too fast. You especially don't ever want to try to run faster and longer on the same day - one or the other.

Also, if you have an option to run on a softer surface, use it. Dirt is better than asphalt, asphalt is better than concrete. Treadmills are like concrete in my experience. If you're running on the road, swtich sides half way through. Roads have crowns (they're highest in the middle, sloping off on the sides) so if you always run facing traffic then one leg is always shorter than the other. If you switch sides then at least they each get a turn. And if you're on the sidewalk, in many places sidewalks are concrete and roads are asphalt. I always take the asphalt when I can. I'll probably get run over some day but you have to pick your poison.

You might also look into massage. Ultimately, that was what permanently cured my shin splints as opposed to all these other methods which "helped".
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You CAN run with shin splints. You just really need to take care of yourself when you do. I ran through shin splints when I first started running, I just was really easy.

You can keep doing C210K, it is just an extended version of C25K, and with your current athletic background with biking you have the aerobic fitness built, now it is just adjusting your body to the new activity.

~Take an extra day of rest between each running day. So instead of one rest day, take two. This will give your bones an extra day of rest.
    ~Ice after every run. This will help reduce the inflammation.
    ~Invest in some compression sleeves. These helped me with my shin splints. I would wear them for a few hours after each run.
    ~Foam Roller....great investment, and if you keep up with running will help with more than just shin splints.

You say you have good shoes, but I want to ask if you have been properly fitted for those shoes?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I should add, I got mine through going from no running to playing tennis twice a week for 2-3 hours a session. The sprinting around the court did it. Unfortunately, I got really addicted to the game so ran through the pain but over time it affected my game and I would occasionally get sharp stabs of pain even during rest periods. I'm hoping this winter break (about 6 weeks) will alleviate the problem. I've resisted going to the courts to practice serving because if anyone else is there I'd end up playing!
  • purch1977
    purch1977 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    just take it steady for a week or so, i am currently going through having them ( last run was in November) I have to just started training for a dualathlon and I have been running a little too quick to start with try not to focus on distance (assuming you are) and just the time and don't forget to stretch.
    you should be fine!! but keep us posted!!
  • mroliver1980
    Options
    Purch - almost exactly the same situation. Which Duathlon are you doing?

I wasn't fitted for the shoes, when I started I didn't want to invest too heavily, unsure if this was a "fad" or something I was going to stick at!

I think I will look at fitting in March-time.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am working on a 5k right now. I have had shin splints in the past and I have them as well now. New shoes helped me a bit, but I found that taping my legs up BEFORE running has helped and rubbing them down with icy-hot afterwards helps.

But it usually comes from doing too much too soon. I have had to slow down some to work myself up since they started bothering me. It is the ONLY thing that keeps me from running longer and faster. It sucks. :(

Try this though for taping. They have some kinetic tape that is suppose to be really good, but I haven't tried any yet.

http://richwoodstrack.com/physiology/shin_splints_taping.html
  • Tamois
    Tamois Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't run downhill on hard surfaces like roads and pavements. I found once I started running on grass (not easy when we've had this much rain!) my shin splints faded away. I'm quite heavy too and the weight thumping down the shins onto hard ground downhill is a no-no. Well done you for entering a duathalon!