How to 'push through' workouts ??

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm just starting out running outdoors (trail only) and working out on the elliptical at home but i'm finding it so hard to push through ... For example, I'll be on the elliptical i can manage about 10 minutes fine but then i'll just feel so overwhelmed by the fact i'm starting to tire that i kind of give up. I do this about two three times a day so i do get 30 minutes in on the elliptical but fractioned.

I'd really like to be able to do straight up 20 minutes at least and i know it is a progressive process and i should take it slow but to be honest i feel like its all in my mind and i can't think what to do or say to myself to help.

Any ideas ?

Replies

• owlyalice
    owlyalice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try couch to 5k? It's free, you can put it on your phone or ipod or whatever and it teaches you to run. It talks you through it with music and you focus less on the time and more on the voice guiding you

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25K/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing some type of cardio workout that has more variety? I really found that it wasn't until I found a type of exercise that I truly enjoyed that I found it really easy to let 20 minutes or even almost an hour pass by easily. It's different for everyone but mine was Turbo Fire. Another one that's kind of dancy like that are the ones from Blogilates (free on youtube!). She has a lot of great cardio dances. My husband loves running outdoors and listening to podcasts. But if you are certain that elliptical/running is what you want, you can always try tv, audiobooks, music, etc, to distract you. Also, it may seems silly, but I also have little motivational quotes I say to myself. "You get what you work for, not what you wish for." "Don't think about how long you have to go, think about how far you've come." "It's not easy, it's worth it." "Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done." Things like that. Like little pep talks. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. But it will take time. Push yourself for sure, but know your limits too. When you want to stop ask yourself if you can push through for 1 more minute. Then the next day maybe a minute and a half. It'll take time to get up to where you want to be, but as long as you're working out, you're making progress.
  • runningincognito
    Options
    "Slow down if you have too; just don't stop." Is a favorite of mine. I chant it on my long runs and utilize it.
  • linhao
    linhao Posts: 12
    Options
    Have you thought about doing some type of cardio workout that has more variety? I really found that it wasn't until I found a type of exercise that I truly enjoyed that I found it really easy to let 20 minutes or even almost an hour pass by easily. It's different for everyone but mine was Turbo Fire. Another one that's kind of dancy like that are the ones from Blogilates (free on youtube!). She has a lot of great cardio dances. My husband loves running outdoors and listening to podcasts. But if you are certain that elliptical/running is what you want, you can always try tv, audiobooks, music, etc, to distract you. Also, it may seems silly, but I also have little motivational quotes I say to myself. "You get what you work for, not what you wish for." "Don't think about how long you have to go, think about how far you've come." "It's not easy, it's worth it." "Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done." Things like that. Like little pep talks. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. But it will take time. Push yourself for sure, but know your limits too. When you want to stop ask yourself if you can push through for 1 more minute. Then the next day maybe a minute and a half. It'll take time to get up to where you want to be, but as long as you're working out, you're making progress.

I think you've hit the nail with the boredom theory i do tend to watch a dvd when on the elliptical but even that hasn't helped much i'm going to try and experiment with different types of cardio to be honest i hadn't even thought about doing something else i kinda believed it would be too 'hard'

Thank you for the advice :)
  • linhao
    linhao Posts: 12
    Options
    Why don't you try couch to 5k? It's free, you can put it on your phone or ipod or whatever and it teaches you to run. It talks you through it with music and you focus less on the time and more on the voice guiding you

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25K/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Oh wow that seems like such an awesome idea i didn't know these podcasts were available thanks you :