What is VO2max

And is it very Important in HRM ?

I am looking for simple explanation.

Thank you

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Max intake of oxygen you can absorb at max aerobic condition.
    Get on a treadmill, run - increase as much as possible - just before passing out / falling and hurting yourself - that was VO2max....more or less!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    as far as things go, it's not that important for casual athletes. until you start your marathon/crossfit/triathlete career, you probably don't need to know your VO2 max
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It is as explained but also a measure of your fitness. HRM use it to help calculate calorie burn during a workout as someone with a lower VO2 max will burn less calories at the same HR as someone with a high VO2 max.

Depending on your HRM monitor, it may have a built in program for determining the VO2 max. Just follow the directions. A real VO2 max determination takes special machines to analyse your HR and oxygen levels during different stages of a stressful workout.

I hope this helps.
  • Orient_Charm
    Orient_Charm Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    as far as things go, it's not that important for casual athletes. until you start your marathon/crossfit/triathlete career, you probably don't need to know your VO2 max

Thank you so much
  • Orient_Charm
    Options
    Max intake of oxygen you can absorb at max aerobic condition.
    Get on a treadmill, run - increase as much as possible - just before passing out / falling and hurting yourself - that was VO2max....more or less!

Thank you, appricaite your reply
  • Orient_Charm
    Options
    It is as explained but also a measure of your fitness. HRM use it to help calculate calorie burn during a workout as someone with a lower VO2 max will burn less calories at the same HR as someone with a high VO2 max.

Depending on your HRM monitor, it may have a built in program for determining the VO2 max. Just follow the directions. A real VO2 max determination takes special machines to analyse your HR and oxygen levels during different stages of a stressful workout.

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I am looking for.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Glad it was helpful. :flowerforyou: