How to Fight off Hunger.

Options
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fight off hunger. I eat my breakfast at about 5am a banana, blueberry and almond milk smoothie along with a coffee about 375 calories total. But by 8 am I am starved. Any advice on how to deal with this would really help.

Missy

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Eat a bigger breakfast? More protein. I would be starving too.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Try eating something.

My breakfast is usually 400-600 calories at 6 am and I eat another 300-400 calories at 9. Another meal at noon and again at 3 and 6.

You should be trying to start sustainable eating habits. If you're starving, you're not going to keep this up.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Drink lots and lots of water. It might also help to eat something for breakfast rather than having a smoothie. I also like to make my meals smaller and eat every 3 hours rather than breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but that's just a personal preference - do what works best for you.
  • afgrpa
    afgrpa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had that exact problem! So I changed my normal breakfast routine. Now at 5 am I eat oatmeal and a slice of toast (under 200 calories) which fills me up , and then have some fruit and a cup of tea around 8:30 am. That has been working for me. I hope you find something that helps!
  • Siennacita
    Siennacita Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have found two things that have helped me;
    1) make sure each meal includes adequate amounts of protein and a little fat - these will help you feel full longer. Can you add a bit of peanut butter to your smoothie? Maybe cook an egg white as a side??
    2) While drinking water is helpful - I read that hot liquids help more - do you like tea? I found some great tasting teas that don't require any sweetening to be tasty. It kind of feels like a treat -so it helps with desire for something sweet.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

If you like smoothies, add something more substantial than almond milk (which actually doesn't have much protein)--yogurt, nut butter, protein powder, silken tofu, etc.

Or just build a 9am snack into your day.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have found two things that have helped me;
    1) make sure each meal includes adequate amounts of protein and a little fat - these will help you feel full longer. Can you add a bit of peanut butter to your smoothie? Maybe cook an egg white as a side??
    2) While drinking water is helpful - I read that hot liquids help more - do you like tea? I found some great tasting teas that don't require any sweetening to be tasty. It kind of feels like a treat -so it helps with desire for something sweet.

What teas are they? I've been on the hunt for a good green tea that doesn't require sweetener.
  • MissyBrears
    MissyBrears Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I will try those.

Missy
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    +1 for more protein.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Dont think about food so much and have some cereal instead of a smoothie
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 eggs in the morning and stay full for a long time. 3 extra large eggs at 80 calories each equals full and yummy for only 240 calories. I drink unsweetened tea for my caffeine for zero calories. A smoothie, yogurt, cereal, or oatmeal always leave me hungry and often craving more. I try those occasionally and always go back to the eggs because they work for me.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on vegetables when I get hungry between meals (even in the am). They're low cal and most times can help bridge that gap between breakfast and lunch or lunch and my mid-afternoon snack. Baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery, etc
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you are anything like me, breakfast, especially carbohydrates for breakfast, make me hungrier all day long. If I eat breakfast, I am starving by 9am. If I skip it, I can go until dinner and feel fine. It has to do with cortisol levels.

Read this if you are interested.
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

I find it so much easier to lose weight when I don't eat breakfast. Plus I save more calories for later in the day so I can go to bed full and not starving! ;) Just remember, everyone is different, just do what works for you.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Thats quite a lot of sugar and carbs, which often results in a crash a few hours later.

Eggs or greek yoghurt would be more protien and keep you feeling fuller longer.

Or have a snack - cheese, hard boiled egg, slice of ham.

O just drink some water/ herbal tea and know that the hunger will pass.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    protein and fat...are the way to go!!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    protein and fat, agreed, but I also find that if I don't a fair bit of fiber in my breakfast it doesn't seem to keep me as full for as long. So I always put some Walmart-generic Benefiber in my morning coffee. it's unflavored, unsweetened, non-thickening so I can't tell at all and it really helps my usually-300-350ish calorie breakfasts stick with me.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me when I ate that early. I wasn't hungry at 5 am, but I would force myself to eat breakfast before work. Now I bring my breakfast to work (I work at 6a) and I eat breakfast here about 830-9. (Dannon Greek Yogurt) and drink lots of water. And i pack a healthy snack from about 1030 when I get hungry again.

Its finding out what works for you- but that has helped me lots!
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to fight off hunger. I eat my breakfast at about 5am a banana, blueberry and almond milk smoothie along with a coffee about 375 calories total. But by 8 am I am starved. Any advice on how to deal with this would really help.

Missy

when you eat pure carbs, you spike your insulin really high, and as the carbs you're eating are fairly fast absorbing, the sugar levels in your blood will drop again fairly quickly and you'll feel hungry.

Some people including me prefer all protein or combined breakfast. Have some scrambled/hradboiled/sunny side up eggs with cheese, bacon a wholewheat toast. I have that or protein shake +cereal with milk. Or if you want a lot of fruit, just add protein powder to your regular shake. Get the Isolate kind with the high% of protein in it and it could help carry you along.

The advantage of the egg breakfast over the protein shake is that it contains fats too, so it keeps you satiated longer.

P.S. don't worry about eating fats, dietary fats have nothing to do with body fat, as long as you are within your calorie limits.