Explain this???

Options
Morning Guys,

So on Friday I weighed myself after my two week indulgence and had put on 11lb... I did think that was a crazy amount and put some down to water retention after eating really bad food and not getting my water in properly.. (substituted for Beer & Wine)

Anyway to save boring you with a long drawn out post... I jumped on the scales today and was 6lb lighter...

Surely thats a crazy amount to jump after just 3 days of eating great and getting the water levels back up to where they were...

Not complaining and not worried just thought its mad how much your body can fluctuate.

(P.s I have checked the scales with a weight too)

Replies

• TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Not really that surprising - I've seen the scales change by 5lbs between going to bed and getting up the next morning!

It's also the same as when people with loads to lose first start on a diet - they often shed up to a stone (14lbs) in the first week (been there, done that)!

I think that our bodies tend to store stuff up (water and glycogen, mainly) and keep a big old reserve in hand while ever we keep filling them up at the same rate. Then, as soon as we stop, that reserve gets used up / flushed away / whatever pretty quickly and we return to our 'real' weight.

I apparently put on 9 lbs in 4 days over Christmas, but like you, 5 of those were gone again 2 days later. And by 3rd January I was back to my pre-Christmas weight.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I "gained" 3 lbs yesterday between breakfast and bedtime, and lost it all while I slept last night. The weight fluctuations are crazy, which is why I always wait to see if I maintain the same number on the scale for a few days before recording a loss and adjusting any settings.
  • DaddyDave101
    DaddyDave101 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Not really that surprising - I've seen the scales change by 5lbs between going to bed and getting up the next morning!

It's also the same as when people with loads to lose first start on a diet - they often shed up to a stone (14lbs) in the first week (been there, done that)!

I think that our bodies tend to store stuff up (water and glycogen, mainly) and keep a big old reserve in hand while ever we keep filling them up at the same rate. Then, as soon as we stop, that reserve gets used up / flushed away / whatever pretty quickly and we return to our 'real' weight.

I apparently put on 9 lbs in 4 days over Christmas, but like you, 5 of those were gone again 2 days later. And by 3rd January I was back to my pre-Christmas weight.

Yeah I appreciate the fluctuations are crazy but it was mad to see such a significant difference so quickly... I would be happy to get to my pre christmas weight in 2 weeks so you must be chuffed.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness it's not just me! Apparently I "gained" 10lbs in about 10 days but after 4 days of getting back to healthy eating I'd lost 7lbs! And (sorry if this is tmi) I've been peeing like a horse!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate drastically, and a lot of factors can contribute to whether that fluctuation is up or down. Don't worry about it!
  • DaddyDave101
    DaddyDave101 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness it's not just me! Apparently I "gained" 10lbs in about 10 days but after 4 days of getting back to healthy eating I'd lost 7lbs! And (sorry if this is tmi) I've been peeing like a horse!

Haha I have been exactly the same