What do you get at starbucks (or wherever)

Options
So I've been seeing lots of posts on here like wahhhh my coffee was 700 calories and I had no idea, did you really have no Idea, whole milk? caramel, chocolate, extra sugar, cream, etc.

Anyways, I feel like coffee drinks get such a bad rep like everyone is like you can NEVER have anything but a black coffee from a coffee chain or you'll die, or you need to get the smallest size and consider it a treat. I disagree, I know some people are against artificial sweetners, but I don't care, I love starbucks, and I always get the same thing: skinny vanilla (or skinny caramel) latte with soy, yes soy adds more calories than the regular skinny latte but i prefer the taste, it tastes rich and thick instead of watery. Anyways, a venti (so 24 ounces) with the soy milk is really just the same as drinking soy milk and coffee because the sugar free vanilla or caramel has no calories. So...it ends up being about 100 calories for a grande (iced) and 160 for a venti, and when I get a venti it's usually as a snack, so it's very filling because all the liquid and the soy milk is just regular soy milk (sometimes vanilla flavored but usually unsweetened) And so yeah, if i have it with breakfast I usually just have fruit or 100 calories of greek yogurt, so I don't see the big deal with them.

TL;DR: What did you used to get, and what do you get now?? (I used to get the white chocolate peppermint latte)

Replies

• laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    used to do the strawberry and creme. Now i do nonfat carmel macchiato. still a bunch of cals but i work them off
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Americano black, or a black tea. Purely because I hate warm milk!
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Used to get a White Choc Mocha, full cream milk, with 1 sugar or Cappuccino with 2 sugars.

Now I get a Skim Latte, 1/2 a sugar
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to just order a tall of everything as is.

For hot drinks, whatever drink I want, short, soy, no whip. At most my drinks have been 150 cals this way. With cold drinks I'm more careful because I don't have the security blanket of getting a short
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I get regular coffee with hazelnut syrup and non fat milk, although I'm going to be trying it with the sugar free hazelnut syrup soon (just realized it came in sugar free). its less than 100 cals and yummy
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Small or medium skinny cappuccino, sometimes with a shot of sugar free vanilla. The medium (from Costa in England) is 122 calories I think. If you go to Caffe Nero, it's even less, as they use more coffee, and less froth! I sometimes just get an americano. Even a skinny latte isn't that bad. I suppose some people get massive sizes, although you can't them that big over here. I've heard Americans talk about triple venti size or something? Really?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Once in a while I try something new or I will get a sugar-free vanilla tall latte, but usually I just get a tall latte and drink it without sugar or sweetener (or I will add a packet of sugar or sweetener depending on my mood). I like coffee with milk, but can take or leave the extra sweetness when it is from starbucks. There is another cafe I go to sometimes and I get a regular latte and add yummy honey. It tastes really good like that and that particular place I do not like the latte without sweetness (it just has a different and stronger flavor). I don't usually drink coffee much because I don't always respond well to caffeine (it can make me jittery). But, if I have regular coffee I will add cream or milk or both.
  • acampbellc
    acampbellc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    McDonald's Sugar Free French Vanilla Iced Coffee (I ask for light cream/milk) Menu says 90cal I figure it's a little less due to them cutting down on the milk, but still log as regular just in case lol I've tried ordering the same drink at Starbucks but its actually better at McDonald's & cheaper :D!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    McDonald's Sugar Free French Vanilla Iced Coffee...

Those were GREAT! And only $1, all summer long, at least in my neck of the woods.
  • ladanivita
    ladanivita Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    carmel fraps, white chocolate mochas with whip, chai lattes...all of those were my favorite! i knew they had to be higher in calories, i just didn't think they could be 600+ calories high. good news for me, i liked those in my younger, sweets loving days. i phased out of them naturally as i got a bit older, and now prefer a regular iced coffee with stevia and a bit of cream, or an americano. every once in awhile in the summer, i'll get an iced skinny caramel macchiato, but honestly if i'm going to have a sweet treat, it's so rare that i'd really rather just have the real thing. i find that i feel better having a simple espresso most of the time, and indulging once in awhile. when i get "skinny" drinks now, i feel worse having the artificial sweetener than i do having the occasional sugary latte.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Starbucks is just unnecessary.

A rip-off, tax avoiding company (to be fair, if you can get away with it, why not). Still I find them not good value for money.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    When I do go, which is only if I worked all night (very rare), I get a vente latte with 2% and raw sugar. I pulled out the old espresso machine, and make them at home daily. The whole bean dark roasts at Trader Joe's are very economical.

My sister in law found some sugar free pumpkin spice syrup and does the same.

I am not into flavored or iced coffees.
  • mulchingoverwinter
    mulchingoverwinter Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to go with a full fat Caramel Latte or a black forest hot choc, now I go with a skinny caramel latte or a skinny black forest hot choc (alters the cals by around 150!) We have just invested in a coffee machine so I can now make my costa caramel latte at home for less than 100kcals so this is what I do and I bring it in a flask to work to have during the daytime. We also bought *kitten* loads of it on a buy one get one free offer so one cup costs 37p!!!!!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I prefer my Senseo coffee at home :)
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Venti Blonde Roast...used to get the Mocha, but it's to the tune of 400 calories. No thanks Jeff.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    1. I dont go very often, maybe once a month.
    2. I order the smallest size (confusingly, this is a "tall")
    3. I order it skinny.
    4. I ask for suagr free syrup.
    5. Or else a tea.
    6. Fresco thing in the summer!

So it's a tall skinny s-f caramel machiato please!
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Grande custom chai tea misto -- chai tea bag; 1/2 water/1/2 non-fat milk; and a splash of sugar free vanilla syrup

about 60 calories.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I get a Grande Soy SF Caramel Latte in the afternoon at work. 170 calories -- I count it as my afternoon snack.

At home, I have a Bialetti Moka maker and a milk frother, so I make my own afternoon latte with almond/coconut milk and SF syrup.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If I want something hot, I'll get a tall soy latte- Christmas time is either Toffee Nut or Gingerbread, otherwise it's skinny vanilla or caramel.

If I want something cold, I'll order a tall Espresso frap and ask for a pump or two of skinny syrup.

Or I chill out and fit it in to my day if I want something extra calorific, like a mocha cookie crumble or triple caramel or whatever.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Short soy latte, only 90 calories and so yummy. Lots of people don't know about short drinks. They are 8oz while a tall drink is 12oz. If I want more volume, I'll get a grande soy misto, which is half steamed milk and half coffee (instead of espresso shots like a latte). The grande soy misto only has 100 calories.

No added liquid sugar needed if I get soy because the soy milk at Starbucks is vanilla flavored. I like it a lot better than dairy milk for my coffee.

At home I make almond milk lattes with truvia that come to less than 50 calories apiece :smile: