how do you motivate yourself to stick with it

Options

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    the time is going to pass regardless. Where do you want to be in 4 years? The same place you are right now or with a whole new body and life? Don't question it, don't let yourself sabotage your own happiness. Just stick to it and think about something else.
  • charliex2202
    charliex2202 Posts: 4,281 Member
    Options
    I personally live my life by this quote, it helps me remember that as long as I continue to try I can succeed...

"Fall down 7 times, stand up 8 times."

Take one day at a time, acknowledge that there are going to be hard days but also good days.....never look at yourself as a failure if you go wrong one day start again the next....believe in yourself and surround yourself with positive people..each small thing that you achieve is an accomplishment whether it be cutting something specific out of your diet or even just drinking more water...set small goals and reward yourself when you hit them....

I believe in you

~Charlie
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    All or nothing, that decribes me to a t, I want it now lol, I am going to do this this time around, and if it means reading success stories every day, well I gues I will. I love reading what gets people going, and what pulls them back, somethung will stick to me and ill just keep going xxx
    I understand where your coming from, I was always someone who wanted fast solutions. When I think back on all the diets I started which lasted a few months and were tough going, I am filled with regret. If I had taken on board the good advice I read on here and another forum I would have all my weight lost and be in maintainance for years. I have been losing and gaining for the past 5 years because I had an all or nothing attitude. I've changed my attitude, set my goal to lose 1 pound per week, got a fitbit and now consider this to be a life style change. I'm eating between 1500 and 2000 calories a day, eating what I want and enjoying it. For some reason the cravings that plagued me before are gone, I think it's because all my meals are satisfying, I'm not substituting real food for "diet" foods and I'm eating more protein.

You can't be a perfectionist and expect to stay on track. You WILL make mistakes. You WILL fall off the wagon, so to speak. But, if you're willing to make changes that you can live with, you'll see progress over time. I lost 35 lbs. through diet alone (the first 25 lbs. came off in the first few months), and ENJOYED it! I stopped eating low-fat, diet, faux-foods, and started eating whole foods, and just ate a tad less than I did before, when I plateaued, I cut back a little more. For example, don't drink your calories. If you drink 2-3 cokes/day, you'll save hundreds of calories/day by doing that alone. If that's you, start with cutting out cokes. When you feel good about that, cut back on volume of food. Ex: If you normally eat everything on your plate at a restaurant, divide it when you get it, and only eat 2/3 of it. Box the rest and save it for your next meal. It's all about baby steps and changes YOU can live with for the rest of your life. If you love cake, don't cut it out completely, just only eat it on special occasions, OR eat 1-2 bites (or 1/2 what you would've before) and push the rest aside. You can lose weight by implementing ONE of these changes every periodically (when weight loss slows). Also, make sure you weight loss expectations are realistic. While you might lose 5-7 lbs. the first week, you'll see it slow down the next week. I was 163 lbs. and lost 5 lbs. the first week, then 1 lb. each week for the next few weeks, then .5 lbs. each week for the next month, or so. When your weight loss slows down (to less than .5 lbs. per week), then, implement a new change.

Making small, gradual changes is the ONLY way that I found that I could lose weight, and keep it off. It's all about progress, not perfection.

Good luck!
  • natashiag
    Options
    I started much like you. I was 5'4 and had lost noticeable weight before I even stepped on a scale which read 189. This was over a year ago!!! It's been slow for me, slow changes, slow loss... I tell myself that as long as I make progress I can keep going. Especially when I notice the small changes, like the way a shirt fits, or not having to suck it in to button my pants. I've been able to lose about 40 pounds and although i'm about 20lbs to goal I still feel much better than I did 40lbs ago. Keep chucking day by day small victories over large ones.

Also realize what 5lbs is, sometimes we think oh 5lbs thats nothing! Well hell strap a 5lb dumbell to you and realize how annoying it is.
  • nico1les2001
    Options
    You and I have the exact height and weight! I have always bounced between 170 and my heaviest was 210. I have a really hard time feeling motivated, I don't eat excessively, but I don't work out. So whatever I do eat sticks to me. Tracking everyday helps, I always enter in my meals before I eat them, so I am less likely to add a sweet or something that I haven't planned on. Packing a lunch everyday is not only cheaper, but it allows me the control. I also focus on how I feel, not how I look. This was a difficult shift, since looking better is a huge motivator for me. But I focus on the little things, like how I feel after I have climbed a flight of stairs, how my jeans fit and how I am sleeping. I hope this helps, it's nice to know there is someone out there like me!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You can start with a little changes and goals. Don't ever go with the attitude "I can't do this". YOU CAN! It's not impossible if you want it really bad. Just try to imagine how good you will feel when you reach your goals. And also don't think of it as for just a diet or exersize, it's a lifestyle.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I agree with making a lifestyle change and to stop thinking about how long it will take. As long as you are moving forward, who cares how long it takes? You are going to have days when you are not motivated, but every day is a new day to keep moving forward.

I myself am starting over again too. Last year I did well, but the holidays got to me. And that's okay. It took a long time to put the weight on and will take a long time to take it off. I think what kept me motivated the most last year was when I had to get new clothes. I honestly didn't think I had lost that much, but apparently my body did and my clothes didn't fit well. Buying new clothes and discovering I could get smaller sizes was really fun. And then people were complimenting my clothes and noticing I lost weight. I started having fun shopping and took an interest in how I looked.

There are lots of things you can do at home while your baby is napping or independently playing near you while you lunge across the dining room. I can't justify joining a gym right now, so I started by doing arm- exercises with hand weights, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, sit ups and other things like that while I watched TV after the kids were in bed. Eventually I dragged myself up early in the morning and did a work-out DVD. When the weather was nice and my kids wanted to go outside and play or take a walk, I always said yes no matter how many dirty dishes there were. Time spent with them and doing something physical is more important that dishes!

I am not sure where you live and if it snowing or cold, but maybe you could invest in a jogging stroller for when the weather is nice and take your LO out for walks, working up to jogging?

Good luck! You got this!
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon not a sprint
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking how you cant do something think about how you can do something. Give yourself a reward if you make it through a week of working out and sticking to your new diet. For me I am not a runner but I signed up for the Shamrock Run on March 1st. i want to run the 8k in 50 minutes. I have a clan of friends going to cheer me on so I don't want to look like the fool . Training for this will knock off the pounds . One week in to it and i feel better already. For obtaining that goal I don't know what I am going to do yet aside from gloat ,boast and brag
  • kiekie33
    Options
    For me surprisingly all the cooking i'm doing keeps me motivated. I've always enjoyed learning new recipes but I didn't realize all the tasty yet healthy things I could make. It really helps me stay on track with my calories and macros and with some meal prep eating properly has become a lot easier.

When I do feel a little discouraged I just think about the fact that i'm better than what I use to be, I try not to let one bad day keep me down. Accept the fact I probably ate some things I shouldn't have and get right back on the ball the next day, one bad day won't ruin countless days of discipline.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I felt that way in the beginning when I looked at it as having over 90lbs to lose and that seeming impossible.(SW234/GW134) I could not really even walk a good 1.5 miles without being winded if there were any hills involved.

I had to change it to small goals and then it got better each time I hit one of. My first goal was 20lbs and to get in 2 miles a day of walking every day. I hit that and then got up to 8 miles a day after 2 months and switched to 60lbs and hit that after 5 months. Eventually I looked at how far I had come rather than how far I had left to go.

It is really great to find an exercise program that you love so that you will not hate doing it. It was kickboxing, then running and weight lifting for me....but find what you have a passion for and it will get easier. It really does get better, just hang in there for a good month and it will become more like a habit....you are not taking something away from yourself in regards to food, you are working towards better health.
  • beckyswenson9
    beckyswenson9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am trying to break down my weight loss by the month. I figure if I can lose at least 5 pounds a month I will be down to my goal weight within a year. Although, even setting this goal I don't want to set myself up for failure, but I think that it is normal to have feelings of being unsure if it is possible to lose all of the weight. I like to break it down into one day, one week, and one month at a time. We are similar with our height and weight. I'm 5'3 and weigh 197.8.
  • nevertoooldtodoit
    nevertoooldtodoit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. I read a thread yesterday that said just for today I will... Best wishes for success! BTW you have one of the most important jobs in the world!
  • blindcode
    Options
    Iv read sucess posts and am amazed, but when I think its going to take 1 year? 4 months? However long, I think to myself, nope, not possible, I cant do this, I cant think that ill ever be slim, its only week one, and I have negative feelings. Im 5 foot 3 and 194 pounds, so huge for my height, its gotta change, byt the lowest iv ever been is 170lb which is still big, I dont feel its possible, especially as I have now become a sahm and activity has dropped loads since I left work,
    help please, how do you stay focused knowing you have such a long road ahead xxx

My 2 cents - While you're thinking negative, get on the treadmill, brisk walk, or just sit and stand vigorously (burns a lot by the way)! When we live in our heads we need to externalize our thoughts! Burn all that NEGATIVE energy. You will feel good after that! That is one thing out of the millions you can do. Then use myfitnesspal to set your goals and maintain your caloric intake! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I use past pictures of myself as my motivation. I know its hard and takes work, dedication, discipline, willpower, but, to me, its worth it.

1531870_605319429504552_138935618_n.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Iv read sucess posts and am amazed, but when I think its going to take 1 year? 4 months? However long, I think to myself, nope, not possible, I cant do this, I cant think that ill ever be slim, its only week one, and I have negative feelings. Im 5 foot 3 and 194 pounds, so huge for my height, its gotta change, byt the lowest iv ever been is 170lb which is still big, I dont feel its possible, especially as I have now become a sahm and activity has dropped loads since I left work,
    help please, how do you stay focused knowing you have such a long road ahead xxx

The thing is, it doesn't take a year...or 4 months or whatever...true success comes over a lifetime of work. There is no finish line...yes...you might hit some arbitrary number you're shooting for on the scale, but then what? well, for most, they stop...they've reached the finish line and they're "done". then they're back here in about 6 months with an "I'm back thread" which is great because they should never give up...but the same thing will happen time and time again until the light bulb comes on and they realize that their nutrition, fitness, and overall health and well being are lifetime endeavors.

Once people start wrapping their brain around what it truly means to make a lifestyle change...and truly start to understand that there really is no "done"...no finish line....that's when they really start getting out of the minutia of day to day and really start to understand and see that much, much, much bigger picture. There is far more to all of this than some number on the scale.
  • kinzieplatt
    kinzieplatt Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Today was the first day of my free online accountability challenge! message me if you'd like details! the more the merrier :)
  • xomellyxo
    Options
    I'd say set yourself goals; although maybe not 'number' based ones, like saying;
    "If I log everything I eat/drink/do for a month, no matter what I do or don't lose, at the end I'm going to reward myself with XYZ"
    Although make it something different from a food reward, so like new food scales or a new pair of walking shoes :)

Also, like some others have said, this is sort of my hobby now; I find it interesting to log and see how many cals things are, and if i can push myself to exercise and fit in that extra chocolate biscuit!
    Plus, I don't deprive myself, so many times I say I'm not going to eat chocolate and within a couple of hours I've eaten share size bars!

You're doing well already, you've lost some weight and decided to change. Give yourself credit for what you've already achieved! Its a big step to come this far. xx
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I live by the quote that is my profile picture. I will be an active member of MFP for 2 years on April 15. That is when I got serious about my health. People ask me all the time what did it for me this time, as I was always talking about losing weight and never sticking with it. Even my daughter tells me she never thought I would actually do it because of all the times I talked about it before. The only thing i can think of is, I am doing this for ME!!! Not for my husband nor my children, not for my parents or my siblings, not because I was jealous of the "skinny people", not because my doctor told me "I really should lose that weight" in a stern voice. No, this time, it's all for me. For my health, for my psychology, for my mental outlook on both me and life. I just got tired of being tired and hating the way I look. Something had to give and finally, finally I was able to shut up that bratty ***** inside me who complained "If they can eat junk, why can't I? It isn't fair" or "I'm too tired to exercise and all of the other bull****. Because thats what ALL of the excuses are...bull****. When you are ready to dig your way out of the bull****, it won't be as difficult as you think it will be. You'll see. Meanwhile, if you would like to add me as a friend, I'm here all the time.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest dreams was to hike to Machhu Pichu. So I booked the trip. And then worked my butt off to get in shape for it.