Why myfitnesspal?

Options
I'm just curious, why did you choose to use myfitnesspal as opposed to another calorie calculator?

For me, I was on Livestrong for a year and couldn't keep up with the 900 calorie deficit, so I stopped counting. Then when I got back into it a year later, I decided to look for a calorie calculator with an app (no Android app on Livestrong at that particular time) and saw mfp had the most stars. I liked it through my Facebook so that I didn't have to put in the effort to make an account and saw for the same weight goals as Livestrong, mfp allotted me 1300 calories. And as I lost weight, it deterred me from going under 1200 calories. I lost weight more easily and was never "hangry" :)

Replies

• septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I asked people on Facebook what WL/diet app they liked and a couple smart people recommended this. Pretty straightforward.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    When I went looking MFP was the first place I ran across, it offered everything I wanted plus a great community. Haven't bothered looking for anything else.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Straightforward login system - nothing too fancy or too complicated. Interesting topics on the forum and easy to get advice and view your achievements over a period of time.
    x.x.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    well originally there was no difference between any of them...i just used this because there it was...but now...the community is awesome and i do believe keeps you on track
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It Worked!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    its the first and only one I tried. A friend recommend it to me. I mostly use it on my phone and I love the bar code scanner- and learning how much I should weigh in 5 weeks.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I just wanted something to track calories. Found MFP. Lost more weight that I originally even wanted to. Those calories are somethin' else, aren't they?
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    its the first and only one I tried. A friend recommend it to me. I mostly use it on my phone and I love the bar code scanner- and learning how much I should weigh in 5 weeks.

I'm obsessed with the barcode scanner haha
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    In 2010 it had the best food database..still does to me. :smile:
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It was the first one I came across on Google! Once I started using it, got the App, found the forums, well I kind of became a bit hooked!!!!

If it wasn't for this site, I'd have given up by now - it totally changed my way of thinking about food, exercise and weight management in general
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    In 2010 it had the best food database..still does to me. :smile:

Agreed!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Recommended by a friend and is easy to use, has a pretty nice database, and I've made some great friends here. A winner all the way!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I was using an uninteresting calorie counter app (Tap & Track, I think it was called) for a few months. Then the new year mob pushed this up the App Store charts and I noticed it so gave it a whirl. And never looked back.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    My dad was the one who started using MFP first. I had basically been doing the same thing, only using a notebook I had to take with me and guessing about restaurant food's caloric content. I liked the idea of not needing my notebook with me all the time and being able to access the food database instead of searching for nutritional information for each separate restaurant.
  • MsMacL
    MsMacL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious, why did you choose to use myfitnesspal as opposed to another calorie calculator?

For me, I was on Livestrong for a year and couldn't keep up with the 900 calorie deficit, so I stopped counting. Then when I got back into it a year later, I decided to look for a calorie calculator with an app (no Android app on Livestrong at that particular time) and saw mfp had the most stars. I liked it through my Facebook so that I didn't have to put in the effort to make an account and saw for the same weight goals as Livestrong, mfp allotted me 1300 calories. And as I lost weight, it deterred me from going under 1200 calories. I lost weight more easily and was never "hangry" :)

Read about the site on Weightlossresources - similar but this is free and the other isn't.
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have tried a lot of diet programs, most costing $$$, this was free. A co-worker lost a ton doing it, and I started after trying it on my own. Starting weight was 178 down to 148 at lowest. It also syncs with fitbit which was available to me from my work insurance. Between the two I have learned to eat better and exercise more. So very happy with the results for little cost to me. My fitbit only cost $25, walking is free and logging in to the fitnesspal is free.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I also tried two other meal-tracking sites and just liked the look of this one the best. I thought it was the easiest to use, and the database seemed to be the most complete.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    After thanksgiving I decided to "eat healthy" and began researching and googling the nutrition facts of everything. My fitness pal results often were near the top of list. Started reading the forums after a while and eventually joined. I used the web version mostly on my laptop.

Didn't even know there was an app until several weeks into it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I was on several other food tracking websites before I landed on MFP and I had success on each of them. But then I plateaued. I got frustrated and went looking for help and the boards on those other site were useless. Unnavigatable, unsearchable, and no answers to my questions.

I liked that MFP gave me extra calories for my exercise and I liked the boards.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine actually recommended me the app, just for the calorie calculator use. But then I discovered other features and the forums.. the rest is history. :)