Lung Recovery After Smoking

Options
6 months ago I quit smoking (YAY ME!). After I quit, I had bronchitis and cold like symptoms. The symptoms went away after a few weeks. Now 6 months later I am working on taking the weight off that I gained after I quit. I have noticed that each time I do a really hard cardio when I work so hard my lungs feel like they are on fire....I end up with bronchitis and cold like symptoms all over again. I am have been choosing to think that it is because I am breaking apart the crap that has accumulated in my lungs after 25 years of heavy smoking and helping my lungs recover. HOWEVER, I am beginning to wonder if I am wrong and if I should take it a little easier on myself because each time I do that, I feel so horrible I can't do a good workout for a few days. So which is better? Work out hard 1 day and light for 3 days of recovery afterword. Or a moderate workout everyday? Am I right about my workouts breaking up the crud or is my immune system just week and I am really getting sick?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much "fixing" you are going to do after 25 years of putting tar in your lungs to be honest... BUT- I would say if it's causing you to get laid up for days- I would take it easy and build a better "base" before you start trying to beat up on your lungs. You've done a lot of damage and haven't used them like that in a while- I personally would back off a little and shoot for a work out every 2 days.

and see a doctor.

and congrats on quitting!
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    25 years of smoking probably torched your lungs. Good job quitting though.
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I read that I worry about COPD, which is common for people who have smoked. Quitting was a huge step for your health, but the damage from smoking may exist. There may be medications that you can take to lessen future remodelling of your lungs. In general with lung issues I would talk with a doctor and that may lead to testing. That way you can be more confident about if there are limits that you need to work with or if there are other ways (ie medications) to reduce some of the symptoms that you are experiencing.

Good luck and again congrats on quitting, keep it up that will serve you for the long run!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i quit seven years ago and still have asthma. still have to take my inhaler to the gym. for the elliptical only. anything else at the gym im good without an inhaler. but i know if i dont have my inhaler i cant go on the elliptical or i just wont be able to breathe. i did it to myself. but still not being able to breathe all the time sucks. even after quitting 7 or 8 years ago i forget how long its been now really.
  • lqmustang
    lqmustang Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting, that was the hard part!

I quit about 14 years ago after near 20 years of smoking. I think I know what you are feeling. Been there before myself. Your lungs are still recovering from all those years of smoking. While you (and I) will never have the lungs of someone who never smoked, they will continue to improve over time. If you are feeling that bad I would take it a little easier on your workouts so you don't get to the point of feeling so bad. That way you at least get a lighter workout in every day or at least however often you are scheduling your workouts. If it is any encouragement, I get through all my Insanity workouts with no problems day after day. I also run weather permitting and if I push a little can get under 8 minutes/mile. Granted I haven't touched a cigarette in 14 years now.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! After 25 years of smoking…I would talk to a doctor to see what is going on. It could be the cilia in the lungs repairing themselves and getting back to work pushing out the mucus, or it could be something more serious. No harm in getting it checked out.
  • cherub_72
    cherub_72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the words of encouragement. I think I will go see a doctor to make sure everything is ok and take it easy a little bit and give my lungs a chance to recover. I frequently forget I'm not 21 anymore and I cannot expect my body and lungs not to have suffered after 25 years of smoking on a couch with a remote in 1 hand an a bowl of popcorn in the other.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be making yourself sick working out. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get things checked out, but definitely ease up on the workouts a little until you regain some endurance. Congrats!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    6 months ago I quit smoking (YAY ME!). After I quit, I had bronchitis and cold like symptoms. The symptoms went away after a few weeks. Now 6 months later I am working on taking the weight off that I gained after I quit. I have noticed that each time I do a really hard cardio when I work so hard my lungs feel like they are on fire....I end up with bronchitis and cold like symptoms all over again. I am have been choosing to think that it is because I am breaking apart the crap that has accumulated in my lungs after 25 years of heavy smoking and helping my lungs recover. HOWEVER, I am beginning to wonder if I am wrong and if I should take it a little easier on myself because each time I do that, I feel so horrible I can't do a good workout for a few days. So which is better? Work out hard 1 day and light for 3 days of recovery afterword. Or a moderate workout everyday? Am I right about my workouts breaking up the crud or is my immune system just week and I am really getting sick?

It's quite likely that after smoking for so many years, you have COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). You need to go to a doctor and get into a pulmonary rehab program. They will teach you exercises which are specifically designed for maximizing using the healthy lung you have, as well as diets that are made to optimize lung health and overall health for people with COPD. It's not that there is crud in there to break up, it's that the smoking caused damage to your small airways and they don't work right. Your body cannot get enough oxygen when you make it work hard because of the damage. See a pulmonologist and get into a good pulmonary rehab program.
    Congrats on quitting, that's awesome!