IBS and going wheat/gluten free?

Options
Just wondering if there is anyone else out there with IBS who has/wants to go wheat or gluten free? I have IBS and most days have awful bloating and sometimes gas. I find its worst after eating too much bread/pasta/etc and was wondering if there was anyone else out there the same. I have decided to reduce the amount of wheat/gluten I eat, although not eliminating it entirely at this point. I'd like to see how I feel first. Any one else with experience in this?

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eliminated grains from my diet and I no longer get stomach issues anymore. If you try it for a few weeks and see, then you will know.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Just a thought-refined flours, sugar are sometimes thought to cause inflammation (in the very least water retention). Maybe check out the wheat belly book/site. There is also the thought that the 'gut' is a key player in overall health. If it's unhappy, things with the body as a whole go awry. Maybe increasing your fibre intake through vegetables and reducing your consumption of refined flours and wheat for a month or so would help you get a better idea of how your body is responding. Not sure if this helps, just miscellaneous thoughts.
  • lexidear
    lexidear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies :)

Stardust, too much fiber makes it worse and I can only eat certain fruit/veg - definitely not beans or anything green and crunchy!
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I eliminated eggs, dairy and gluten. No more IBS
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have IBS. Limiting dairy and taking psyllum husks daily has enabled me to eliminate my symptoms. Have you gone to the doctor? I know lactose intolerance is much more common than gluten intolerance, and lots of gluten-free stuff is not so good for you... so make sure you get the test first...
  • Beckyann1971
    Options
    I follow a no/low FODMAPS diet that is used for Ibs. I don't have a diagnosis but it helps a lot. I try tostayaway from gluten, dairy, soy, nuts, peas and beans many grains and some fruits and vegies. Ill send you a FR.Sometimes I wish I had more mfp friends who understand my issues.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Totally understand all of you too. I have IBS and also hiatus hernia, so sometimes the food that I eat for the IBS, sets the acid off and vice versa. So frustrating! Im constantly changing my diet as I am not sure what to eat. I would love to eat more fruit and veg but the IBS doesn't agree with it also. Sometimes I have to just stick to certain foods that I know are ok, although it gets boring at least I don't get any symptoms for a little while!

If anybody has both IBS and acid problems, any advice?
  • smand2000
    Options
    Spent years struggling with IBS (which is really just a catchall for "we really don't know what the $#!%@ is wrong"). Everybody has different triggers, so your best bet is to start with a very limited diet (grilled meats / proteins, no sauce, veggies, fruits, rice is usually fine).

Once you've established a baseline diet that limits symptoms, you can gradually experiment to see how you react to different foods. Keep a diary of meals, and how you feel day to day. Remember that stress is an important factor that may skew your reactions, so note your stress levels.

My system functions on probabilities - I can almost always eat a bagel, but pancakes / muffins / cakes will usually make me sick. Raw tomatoes are fine, but cooked tomatoes will almost always make me sick. Sauces of any kind are out (except soy sauce for sushi). I've found what works by experimenting. You will likely have to do the same.

Exercise has helped my digestive system immensely. So has Greek yogurt (probiotics). And benefiber. But, as you pointed out, people will react differently to these items (except exercise - I truly believe this is vital for keeping ibs under control).

Best of luck!

Anyone in here, feel free to add me. Can always use the friends and support!
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I eliminated all animal products and my IBS is 100% cured.
  • Beckyann1971
    Options
    I heard this from someone else too. But as long as its lean or eggs, I have no problem with it. However, if things were how I would want them to be, and I didn't have to rely on it for protein, I wouldn't have animal products at all. : /
    I eliminated all animal products and my IBS is 100% cured.
  • Beckyann1971
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in August, had hoped it would help me but it didn't. It just added more problems because of fats. So I have to be careful even with lean fats and olive oil. Plus I more easily have heartburn now then I did before removing gallbladder.Being careful with the fats helps with that as well.
    Totally understand all of you too. I have IBS and also hiatus hernia, so sometimes the food that I eat for the IBS, sets the acid off and vice versa. So frustrating! Im constantly changing my diet as I am not sure what to eat. I would love to eat more fruit and veg but the IBS doesn't agree with it also. Sometimes I have to just stick to certain foods that I know are ok, although it gets boring at least I don't get any symptoms for a little while!

If anybody has both IBS and acid problems, any advice?
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with IBS and still trying to find all my triggers, but definitely as soon as I cut out gluten I felt so much better, but keep a diary and cut things out and see what works for you :)
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Cutting out the Gluten/wheat changed my life and IBS!

...and my insulin resistance and PCOS! You'll never regret it and good luck!
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have IBS, GERD, and fructose intolerance... Man oh man, have I ever wanted to go gluten free... But it'd be so hard lol...
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    Never hurts to try. Doesn't make a difference to me, but YOU will have your own triggers. It's always worth tinkering around with your diet to see if changing things up for a time makes a difference.

I have it very mild - hormones and stress are my biggest triggers - but I've never identified a particular food culprit.

Also, if you're cutting out a bunch of things, remember to reintroduce (and maybe cut out) slowly. Quick changes in diet has NEVER been my friend.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I never considered IBS for myself, having had a gripey body for weeks someone passed the low fodmap past me, it aims to exclude poorly digested sugars the letters stand for the types of sugar. I saw oats and bananas are good for the gripyness and had bananas and porridge for my next meal. I continued with the eliminations which seemed to coincide with things I already avoided and I am comfortable. within the constraints of my chemical/salicylate sensitivity. I am so grateful for finding out about this way of eating.

All the best to everyone .
  • brighteyedkat
    Options
    ALL of the things listed above are great. The diary is the best. I have found that everyone has such different triggers and it is important to know exactly what yours are.

But even with being careful with my diet and working out, I would still have terrible spells that made NO sense as far as a trigger. And then while I was in CostCo one day I saw these probiotics and thought Why Not. I had tried lots of different pill forms and none really worked. The Activa is helpful, but not consistent (and high in sugar).

These have CHANGED MY LIFE. Costco has them for cheaper but I can't find them on their site. But here is the link to them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Schiff-Sustenex-Probiotic-Gummies-120/dp/B0079DQ92O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389028864&sr=8-2&keywords=Schiff+Digestive+Advantage+Probiotic+Gummies

I have had like 2 spells since I started taking them. And they were both mild. Everyone is different, so maybe just get the 60 count bottle and see how they do for you before buying the 120 count. Oh and they are actually really good. I consider them my morning cheat on my diet. lol

Good luck!
  • DannPM31
    Options
    OP I have done this and highly recommend it. Heavily reducing (near elimination save trace amounts) gluten (wheat, rye, barley, etc) intake has helped tremendously. It has also helped boost the overall micro-nutrient density of my diet as well. Wheat and the like are not especially loaded with micro-nutrients when compared to alternatives.. Replacing most grain choices with vegetables, nuts, legumes, etc is a great choice. When you just crave something like pasta, there are great alternatives (like rice noodles, I get mine at an Asian grocery, they also have mung-bean noodles as well.) It could only help to try, at worst, it does nothing for you, there is no reason not to try it for a month or two!
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    it deffinetely worked for me, no gluten and no more IBS and bloating, this is what normal feels like and its great!!! also if you want to take it another step try a PALEO diet , its amazing
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    While I don't have an official diagnosis of IBS, I suspect that I have it to a degree. What I DO have a diagnosis for is Celiac disease. If you suspect that Gluten is affecting/triggering your IBS, I would suggest getting into some Celiac groups/circles for help in eliminating gluten. Companies tend to HIDE gluten where it really shouldn't be....and if it is a trigger for you, you want to make sure you get rid of it everywhere. Gluten is not just in food but medications as well. I have to take it a step further and avoid it in all personal care items (shampoo/cond, soap, facial products, makeup...) too.

Hope eliminating it helps you and PLEASE don't get discouraged. Once you start looking for gluten so you can avoid it, you will feel like it is EVERYWHERE and could get overwhelmed. Just stick it through and you will feel tons better. If you need any further help/advice, I have just recently come back to MFP and would be glad to help any way I can. :happy: