Help me love my brown rice and/or Quinoa

Options

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I cook my quinoa in a rice cooker with a little chicken broth/bouillon, and serve it topped with spaghetti sauce. Tastes awesome, and is great for a spaghetti fix in a pinch!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but I love it....I eat brown rice with salsa. Also, try cooking it in beef broth.

As for quinoa, I have found it strangely addictive. One of my normal breakfast routines is cooking 1/4 cup of quinoa, then adding a couple teaspoons of raw honey and sliced bananas. Sometimes a little milk, as well.
  • lilndnfeather22
    lilndnfeather22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Brown rice pudding recipe.
    http://dogismysous.com/2013/11/08/flashback-friday-vegan-arroz-con-leche-brown-rice-pudding/

Coconut vanilla rice pudding
    http://www.hayleyhobsonblog.com/coconut-vanilla-rice-pudding/

also if you are ever on pinterest there are so many recipes that use brown rice and quinoa. Lots of them vegetarian or vegan.
  • franknjulietaweber
    Options
    I cook my long grain brown rice in chicken broth instead of water I add thyme and rosemary.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I bet that wonderful rice and quinoa you are eating at restaurants is made with chicken stock and finished with a dab of butter or EVOO . In addition to what you put in the rice pot try half inch of cinnamon stick , 4 clove, 1 bay, 2 cardamom pods and tsp curry powder. Toss with EVOO when finished.
  • lisa76040
    lisa76040 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Soak quinoa in vegetable broth. Meanwhile, saute some onions and sliced ****ake mushrooms in a bit of vegetable oil (or whatever oil you prefer). Drain quinoa and cook along with onions and mushrooms in more broth. SO good! But I love quinoa - hot with veggies or cold in a salad - I love it!
  • ZilkerMom
    ZilkerMom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome!
    I just bought a rice cooker and will be trying this out.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like my quinoa a couple different ways. Yesterday I cooked it with canned bean and cashews in chicken broth. It was okay, but the chicken broth really removed the flavor of the quinoa itself, and the sodium was a bit too high for my liking. I think next time I'd like to incorporate some spinach, and maybe some sauteed onions and mushrooms.

I also really like to sautee onions and mushrooms, cook up the quinoa, and mix in my favorite spaghetti sauce. I'm too lazy to make my own, so we use a heart healthy kind.

Does oatmeal count as a grain? Making plain oatmeal and adding your own spices is probably a healthy idea. I usually hate oatmeal, but have found that I love it when I can add cinnamon and sliced bananas.
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like to make a healthified loco moco, which has rice in it. It's brown rice, a reduced fat burger, an egg, and some gravy and Worcestershire sauce.

It really yummy (its Hawaiian, also). You just put the rice, then burger, then egg and drizzle with sauce and gravy. I usually add a little to the rice first and stir, then put the rest on the burger and egg.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I attempted this recipe today. It didn't turn out perfectly because I was unaware that we did not have applesauce or maple syrup, and I don't eat eggs or wheat, so I had to modify with some water, ground flax, coconut flour, and non-dairy butter. It turned out very crumbly (like granola) but delicious. I didn't use the nuts or craisins and instead used chocolate chips. I just put it in the freezer and will use it as ice cream topping instead. But, I'm guessing if you don't butcher the recipe like I did, it would come out in the form it's supposed to. (I do not like quinoa, and I really do like this.)

http://www.theleangreenbean.com/quinoa-breakfast-bars/
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Try this recipe out http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Wine+Match+Spiced+Quinoa+Sweet+Potato+Broccoli+Cranberry+Salad/8854213/story.html

Pretty sure it suits all your dietary restrictions mentioned. And its delicious! I brought it to the inlaws for christmas dinner and it was a hit. I left out the asparagus bc I'm cheap, but I'm sure you can use whatever veg you like.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice. I use it ofen in a variety of ways from plain as a side to icluded in recipes, soups, salads, stir fry, etc.

Quinoa I like, but I'm more picky about it. I like it best in a salad or a soup. It's okay unadorned as a side, but not great IMO. I'd rather have brown rice for that. Quinoa makes a great substitute for bulgar in Taboleh for those that have issues with gluten.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    depending on how adept your are with cooking indian food from scratch you could try dosas or idlys made with brown rice:

http://www.chitrasfoodbook.com/2012/11/brown-rice-idli-how-to-make-soft-idlis.html

Very tasty and good for you but not for the novice.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Rice is better if you boil it the day before you want it and then "fry" it in a pan to warm it back up. That's a Chinese restaurant secret.

Quinoa just takes some playing around with. Make small quantities of it and add it to recipes that you already know you like. It's pretty flavorless so it mixes in well with other things. I like to mix my rice & quinoa along with sauteed veggies & meat.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have this Quinoa/Black Bean Chili recipe I love, and it's vegetarian:

1/2 cup dry quinoa
    1 cup vegetable broth (or water)
    1.5 tsp olive oil
    1/2 med onion chopped
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1.5 tsp chili powder
    1.5 tsp ground cumin
    1 14.5oz can no-salt added diced tomatoes
    1 14.5oz can low-sodium black beans (rinsed/drained)
    1/2 med green bell pepper diced
    1/2 med red bell pepper diced
    1 small diced zucchini
    1/2 seeded/chopped jalapeno pepper
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 cup frozen corn kernals (you can leave off if you do not eat corn)

Prepare quinoa with veggie broth or water according to instructions (then set aside). Saute onion in olive oil until transparent (about 5 mins), then add chili powder, cumin and garlic. Continue to saute for 1 min until flavors release. Add can of tomatoes and black beans and all other ingredients (except corn). Bring to steady simmer on high, then turn down to medium, cover and simmer for 20 mins. You may want to add some more broth or water if more liquid needed to simmer properly.

After 20 mins, add quinoa and corn (if using). Continue cooking for 5 mins to warm up corn and quinoa.

This makes 3 large servings: 339 cal, 60g carb, 5g fat, 15g protein, 15g fiber
  • frenchfry1963
    Options
    Black bean, mango, and quinoa salad. Just tried this recipe for the first time tonight...and loved it.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/southwestern-black-bean-quinoa-and.html
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Take inspiration for Asian cuisine. If I were you I'd try it in a biryani, or with a vegetable-based or maybe try low-fat rice balls? There are loads of ideas if you replace grains with brown rice, instead of inventing new dishes altogether :)
  • sammycantz2
    Options
    Hi There! I'm currently living in Thailand and was wondering if you know the name for this rice? I live in a small town in the north east so it's challenging to find new food to try when you don't speak Thai and I'm trying not to gain too much weight here!