Cold weather meals!

Options
nikki_dw
nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
I live in metro Atlanta but grew up in the south part of Georgia near the ocean. The low on Monday night is supposed to be 4 degrees. It's supposed to snow tomorrow afternoon and that morning... I've only seen flurries twice in my life. :huh:

So, what are you favorite cold weather recipes? Bonus points for anything that is done in the slow cooker!

Edit: Double bonus points for gluten free!

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    If you want gluten free, vegetarian or meat based chili is great (I add bulgur wheat to mine, but quinoa would work well too)
    Or you could try this millet dish http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-curried-millet/#more-9092

Slow cookers are great for roasting whole chickens (yes I said that), making curries, or even a big pot of oatmeal.

Sometimes the coziest thing to have on a cold winter day = breakfast for dinner :laugh:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I cook a plethora of things in my slow cooker! For some recipe ideas, try Skinnytaste.com. They have a section on slow cooker recipes. I make soups, stews, chilis, and roast chicken on a regular basis. Made a killer Chicken and Hominy Chili a couple of weeks ago!

Oh, and my recipes are predominantly gluten free. I have a son with Celiac and don't even keep flour in the house anymore.
  • RebeccaMoonflower
    Options
    Just saw this posted on FB, haven't read any of them yet myself. Looking for something yummy over here myself.

http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/2013/12/80-gluten-free-slow-cooker-recipes/
  • akarney
    akarney Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I made this for our lunches this week:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/chicken-shiitake-and-wild-rice-soup.html

It's one of our favorites. I leave the mushrooms out of mine, and saute them and throw them in my husband's as I'm putting it in the lunch containers. I use Bob's red mill wild rice and then add some thyme, parsley, and chicken soup base (since it doesn't have the seasoning packet that most wild rice has).

Anything from skinnytaste.com is delicious. Her crock pot 3 bean turkey chili is another favorite for cold weather.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's not gluten free but I have made a crockpot lasagne from "Allrecipes.com" that is awesome! :bigsmile:
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just made a giant crockpot full of 'clean out the fridge soup' it had leftover quiona, lentils, shredded chicken, kale, frozen spinach, cabbage, limp celery and onion, carrots, tomatoes, zuchinni... basically all the produce I get because it looks fantastic but can't eat before it goes bad because I only have myself and a picky husband to cook for.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I made turkey soup Saturday (could easily be chicken instead) in the slow cooker:
    4 cups leftover turkey from thanksgiving (frozen but cooked) (can use raw turkey or chicken, dice into squres and let cook in soup or cook before adding I have done it both ways depending on how much time I have)
    2 cups shredded zucchini
    1 onion chopped
    1 TBSP minced garlic
    1/2 bunch of Celery chopped
    1 lb bag of baby carrots, cut in half
    1 bunch Kale or other green chopped
    6-8 cups chicken/turkey/vegetable broth (If using regular canned broth use less salt!)
    1 cup brown rice (can subsititue any grain or bean or omit, if you omit use 1 cup less broth)
    Red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in slow cooker or low heat for 6-8 hours until heated through and meat is fully cooked, can prepare faster at high heat however flavors won't be as fully developed. I usually serve with cornbread,