Is a Fitbit worth it?

Options

Replies

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I gave myself a Fitbit Flex for combination birthday/Christmas gift. I LOVE it!! If money is super tight, you could try what I did and ordered one from eBay. I bought the individual pieces and save about $25 over the cost of a new one. It encourages me to move more and I like that it tracks all calories burned instead of just the ones I can enter myself on MFP.
  • Turbooble
    Turbooble Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me the Fitbit Force for Christmas and I am in love with it. It sinks up to MFP easily. I only take it off when I shower and I use that time to charge it. It charges fast and keeps a battery life for days! I believe it really motivates me to get up and make simple goals, such as my stair count. At the end of the day if I do not have 10 flights of stairs I will walk up and down our stairs at home and make my goal. Same with the step count. It has really pushed me. I have made my stair count for a few days now, so I think I am ready to move up the goal count.

Another thing I love about it is the sleep tracker. It has honestly helped me get a better night sleep. I noticed that after about 6 hours of sleep I start to toss and turn and I didn't even know it! So I started setting the alarm on the watch (yes it has one and it wakes me up with the slight vibration) at 6 hours after I plan to lay down and I have been feeling great since. I know the Force can be on the slightly more expensive side, about $120 I believe, but it has been totally worth it. I have never been able to lose weight before and I am at 9.8lb loss in less than a month and feeling great.

Okay, so now I am sounding like an AD, but I enjoy it that much.

Good Luck!
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've had a FitBit One and now a FitBit Force, I've been using it since May and love it. I total think it's work the money and I find it motivating to keep my steps up. I used to have a Bodybugg and the accuracy is the same with both, but fitbit doesn't require a separate monthly fee to use it.

God bless,
    Karen
  • phoebestarz
    phoebestarz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am going to sound like a total doofus here........... I received a fitbit flex for Christmas and have no idea how to use it. I have set it up on pc but now not sure how to get started. Do I have to "turn it on" before I start my exercise and then how do you upload info onto your computer?

I am usually quite savvy with exercise gadgets but have no idea with fitbit :blushing:
    Thanks in advance.
  • Future_Mrs_Philipp
    Future_Mrs_Philipp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just ordered mine and can't wait to get it!! I have heard great things about it and am excited for something else to challenge me through my weight loss adventure!
  • jay6269
    Options
    I have a Force but I am confused with the interaction with MFP. MFP says to have 1800 cals a day to loose 2 pounds a week. Fitbit adds the deficit and MFP tells me the adjusted count. Should I be trying to hit the 1800 cals of the adjusted?

Right now it says 1810 - goal 848 food - 897 exercise = -49 net with 1859 Calories remaining. Should I be eating the total 2697 calories or just the original 1800 to loose the 2 pound per week? I am so confused.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I like my Force but I'm not sure it'll be any less easy to lose than the clip models. The fastener on the wristband is really tricky to close properly, and there have been multiple times where I thought I had it fastened only to discover that the Force had popped off my wrist while putting a shirt on.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit Zip a couple of mos. ago. Not really that impressed.

To each their own though ;-)
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have a Force but I am confused with the interaction with MFP. MFP says to have 1800 cals a day to loose 2 pounds a week. Fitbit adds the deficit and MFP tells me the adjusted count. Should I be trying to hit the 1800 cals of the adjusted?

Right now it says 1810 - goal 848 food - 897 exercise = -49 net with 1859 Calories remaining. Should I be eating the total 2697 calories or just the original 1800 to loose the 2 pound per week? I am so confused.

Which is why I unchecked the box that allows Fitbit to perform negative adjustments on MFP. It's really lame.
  • theoncomingstorm2
    Options
    I love my fitbit one. I feel naked without. And it does provide motivation for being more active.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I just bought a fit bit one, and the Aria scale to go with it and i LOVE it!!! I would not trade it for anything in the world
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It was for me.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My Zip is the reason the indicator on my ticker is way over to the right side. I started out set up at sedentary, and I was very conservative what I logged as exercise. It was only after I started wearing a Fitbit that I realized my normal routine, even with an office job, is far from sedentary. Once I learned to trust my adjustment, my weight has dropped steadily.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Yes, Yes, and Yes. I have had mine since June and it keeps me motivated. I recommend keeping the receipt in a safe place I did lose mine and customer service replaced it free of charge, but you do need the receipt. Take a pic of it or whatever you need to do. I have the Zip and love how I attach it to my bra or pant pocket. I also recommend that you turn it inside towards you so if the tracker pops out of the clip you don't lose it.
  • Cali_Chica
    Cali_Chica Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I got myself a fitbit and one for my husband as a christmas present. We both love ours. We also just got the scale today. It's really been working to motivate him to move more.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If your husband isn't someone that logs anything then maybe he wouldn't get anything out of it? Maybe a really cheap pedometer for him would do the job just as well?

I've considered one to appeal to my geeky side but I have a daily routine that works and I enjoy, I know how far my walks are so no point really.
  • Iconx15
    Iconx15 Posts: 47
    Options
    If you have the money to spare yes
    But you can just track all of that and lose weight without buying a fancy gadget (Although it foes look pretty cool :p)
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am going to sound like a total doofus here........... I received a fitbit flex for Christmas and have no idea how to use it. I have set it up on pc but now not sure how to get started. Do I have to "turn it on" before I start my exercise and then how do you upload info onto your computer?

I am usually quite savvy with exercise gadgets but have no idea with fitbit :blushing:
    Thanks in advance.

If you go to the Fitbit page you can download the drivers. It will give you step-by-step instructions on how to set it up. I got an extra dongle for my work computer (too impatient to wait until I get home to sync) and I popped the dongle in first and the computer asked me if I wanted to download everything.

Good luck!
  • Glndgd63
    Glndgd63 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To keep from losing the smaller ones, clip it onto your pocket, with the fitbit inside the pocket and the stem on the outside. That way if it falls, it will fall in the pocket.