When you start to feel bones in new places

Options
So I'm probably being a paranoid weirdo, but lately I've been getting worried because when my back is pressed against a hard surface (seat back, etc) I can feel my spine pressing into it. It doesn't hurt, but I feel a kind of pressure that is somewhat uncomfortable.

My worry is that there could be a growth there, because this is a new feeling. But then I think it may just be that I used to have a substantial layer of back fat, and now that it's gone I'm just adjusting to being able to feel my bones under my skin. Is this a normal thing, or should I be concerned?

Replies

• ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned. Having a spine is generally pretty normal :flowerforyou: I'm relatively thin and can understand the feeling, I also feel the bones when I'm sitting against something hard.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This is completely normal, although it does take some getting used to. When you lose fat you also lose padding in certain areas of your body, so this is to be expected.
  • stagmania
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the reassurance! This is not an issue I've ever heard discussed around weight loss; it's kind of a weird one.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You're fine! I had the same revelations as I lost weight. My hip bones freak me out sometimes still when I sit down and put my hands on my lap. Being able to feel them with my elbows still throws me off lol.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The school bleachers were much more comfortable when I had extra padding. I now have to get up and move more when my son has a meet. People get really annoyed but I just can't sit for too long on the hard wood.
  • ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had something similar happen when I took my first long trip in my wife's car: I would get really uncomfortable after a couple hours when I was used to being able to drive all day. At first I thought it was the seats, but after a few trips in different cars, I've realized that it's my new lack of back and butt fat.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    The school bleachers were much more comfortable when I had extra padding. I now have to get up and move more when my son has a meet. People get really annoyed but I just can't sit for too long on the hard wood.
    tumblr_m81gv2vWLT1qi56lt.gif
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of moments like that. My girlfriends and I went out to a restaurant/bar and sat on wooden bench seats in a booth for about 3 hours. The first hour was fine but the other two, my best friend (who has also lost a considerable amount of weight in the past year) and I were both shifting around and uncomfortable, and our much larger friend said she was fine. I recall in years past other people complaining about hard seats and when I was a lot bigger I didn't get it.

Also in bed the other morning I was lying curled in the fetal position with my inner thighs pressed together and my kneebones were touching. It was SUCH an odd and unfamiliar sensation! hehe