My weight loss has nothing to do with your weight

Options
124»

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I do not brag or show of my weight loss in real life or on my Facebook page. I only talk about with people on here, my supportive husband, or if some-one brings it up. That being said, I've now lost 70 lbs and want to lose 30 more. Which is in the middle of my BMI range. I am not yet at a healthy BMI either. I am large boned, been told so by a Dr. so some of my bones are already visible (collarbone, shoulders, hips bones) I, without bringing anything up, am being told by family, coworkers, friends, that I need to stop, that I'm making them look bad in comparison, If I lose anymore weight I'll look anorexic, One person even told me "I'll pray for you and health". It is really very annoying. I'm not going to become anorexic, I still eat everyday 3x a day just like they do. I just changed what I ate and began working out, which I did not do before. People in my real life freak out on me all the time because "I'm too skinny now"

PS ~ I'm 5'5 160 lbs and wear a US size 8 jeans. Come on now people! That is not skinny in my book. So OP I feel your pain. Wish people would stop giving me hell about losing weight too. Its nothing to do with any of them, I just want to be a better healthier me.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    My favorite is my family member have actually said to me.
    "why do you want to lose weight, you are the thinnest person in the family already".
    Which isn't saying much.

I <3 you for this post. Anyone that took it personally clearly has some issues they need to work out.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I wish I could edit my first post.

I was ranting because last week I was invited to diner at a friend, her other friend I did not know was there also. When we made a list of our goals and wishes for 2014, one of the item was to lose the last 5 pounds. The lady said " if you think you need to lose 5 pounds what does that make me? A whale? If I looked like you I would not complain about it"

End of story

I understand why the rant now. That being said, just ignore it and move on. The lady who said this to you clearly is very insecure and has her own issues to deal with.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    But if you 'know I would kill to look like you', then you made it about me. No, your loss has nothing to do with my weight, and who I would kill to look like is none of your damned business, either.

I hope that was a quote from someone :D Otherwise the logic is a bit faulty. You do your thing and I'll do mine, and please don't assume everyone is just jealous of you. That's obnoxious as hell!

You have missed the point by about 50 gazillion miles

How did I know that the OP would get my point much better than other random posters? She did, a while back.

But I see everyone's still gonna do their thing. That's fine, too.

I haven't read more than a few posts below this, so this should be fun! In.

Edit: Meh, everyone just said 'this' and stuff. Less fun than expected :D
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options

The lady said " if you think you need to lose 5 pounds what does that make me? A whale? If I looked like you I would not complain about it"

My response to her would have been, "You said it, I didn't!" And then stroll away with a little swag. She apparently had her own issues and attempted to transfer them to you. Don't sweat the small stuff… just keep doing you!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

The lady said " if you think you need to lose 5 pounds what does that make me? A whale? If I looked like you I would not complain about it"

My response to her would have been, "You said it, I didn't!" And then stroll away with a little swag. She apparently had her own issues and attempted to transfer them to you. Don't sweat the small stuff… just keep doing you!

OP's approach of coming in here to blow off steam is the best. There's no need for her to demean herself the way the woman did who said these things to her. OP took the high road in this situation.

That being said, and not related to the quote, the entire group was sharing goals and aspirations. She had a right to share hers without being belittled for having them.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's common curtesy to not complain about your weight to someone much heavier than you, especially in a disparaging way. I've had my feelings hurt numerous times by very thin friends who rant about being chubby and ugly when I was much bigger because it made them feel better in comparison. I think it's not rocket science to see that's a little rude and maybe keep the complaint to yourself in front of them.

That being said I support your right to rant about whatever you want on the forums.
    I agree.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's common curtesy to not complain about your weight to someone much heavier than you, especially in a disparaging way. I've had my feelings hurt numerous times by very thin friends who rant about being chubby and ugly when I was much bigger because it made them feel better in comparison. I think it's not rocket science to see that's a little rude and maybe keep the complaint to yourself in front of them.

That being said I support your right to rant about whatever you want on the forums.
    I agree.

I normally would never talk about weight loss in regular company for a number of reasons. I also don't like when people rant about being "fat" or "chubby" when they are not (for the record, I don't believe that is what OP did). They were discussing their goals for the new year. I would think that, at least, would be an exception. She didn't just volunteer it, she wasn't calling herself fat. As someone else above said, she had every right to share her goals and aspirations.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

OP's approach of coming in here to blow off steam is the best. There's no need for her to demean herself the way the woman did who said these things to her. OP took the high road in this situation.

That being said, and not related to the quote, the entire group was sharing goals and aspirations. She had a right to share hers without being belittled for having them.

End thread
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I agree.

I normally would never talk about weight loss in regular company for a number of reasons. I also don't like when people rant about being "fat" or "chubby" when they are not (for the record, I don't believe that is what OP did). They were discussing their goals for the new year. I would think that, at least, would be an exception. She didn't just volunteer it, she wasn't calling herself fat. As someone else above said, she had every right to share her goals and aspirations.

Yes, there are quite a few people making some very large assumptions on this thread that has more to do with themselves then the OP. Maybe some personal reflection may be in line for some responders. Others, maybe not so. Some, it's a lost cause...
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I was ranting because last week I was invited to diner at a friend, her other friend I did not know was there also. When we made a list of our goals and wishes for 2014, one of the item was to lose the last 5 pounds. The lady said " if you think you need to lose 5 pounds what does that make me? A whale? If I looked like you I would not complain about it"

End of story

I find that I don't have to say anything, but people are so used to me at my current weight, that when I get to my goal weight (which is in the middle of my healthy weight range) they start making judgments that I'm too skinny. I even had an acquaintance yell it out her car at me as she drove by. I talked to my dr about my weight and she (and my husband) said I was not too skinny. People get insecure when you do something they told themselves can be done. I have to learn to not let it bother me, but when certain people say it, it hurts.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother telling anyone you are losing weight ... from experience all that has happened is that people sabotage and always say 'you're fine the way you are' (the ones who are about half the size / quarter of me) and (the ones who are larger) 'well, if you need to lose weight what are you saying about me' ... it's a futile exercise.

End of story
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    THIS!

End of story

I find that I don't have to say anything, but people are so used to me at my current weight, that when I get to my goal weight (which is in the middle of my healthy weight range) they start making judgments that I'm too skinny. I even had an acquaintance yell it out her car at me as she drove by. I talked to my dr about my weight and she (and my husband) said I was not too skinny. People get insecure when you do something they told themselves can be done. I have to learn to not let it bother me, but when certain people say it, it hurts.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think most people no matter what size has had problems like this, for me I mention it to a couple of people bigger than me. they both got a little angry and told me that I dont need to lose weight. The sad thing is that one of them was suffering bad back problems from her massive weight gain.
    All you can do is help yourself and dont lower your confidence and drop your goals 4 them.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother telling anyone you are losing weight ..

I agree, I am doing the same. but when the weight loss starts showing I will brace for all of the comments to tell me to stop.