I'm Confused - Daily Calorie Intake Help

Options
Hi guys :) So I took the NHS BMI caltulator, and it says I should consume between 2200 kcal and 2900 kcal (lower end of the scale to lose weight).

I always thought it should be around 1200-1500 calories a day.

How much calories do you consume (on average)? Any suggestions what I should aim for? I have a lot of weight to lose (around 150lbs) and want to take it slow and steady to win the race xx

Replies

• jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. How active are you? What weight loss goal did you set MFP to? If you are sedentary to lightly active then you will consume less calories. If you highly active and working out alot then youll consume more calories
  • sameena2013
    Options
    Hi if you work out 1200 calories will leave you hungry and you would go on a starvation mode-where the body would start storing fats instead of burning the same- use the TDEE calculator and reduce 20% from same- that should be your calorie goal for weight loss-All the best!!
  • SerenBunny
    Options
    I'm moderate to low active (depending on the day and work) I don't think I'll be going to the gym, kinda stitch, until I've lost a lot more weight, so that's not gonna change lol.

TDEE Calculator? xx
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The more weight you carry aruond, the more calories your body needs for basic functions. Think of it this way, even if you were at your goal but carrying around a backpack that weighed 50 pounds, you'd require more energy to accomplish that, right? Well your body already has that weight on it so it needs the extra energy just to move around.

I only need about 1500 calories now (170ish, 5'7", 39, F) but at my heaviest weight of 260, I needed 1800-1900 calories a day. And that's not including exercise, that's just calories to cover the day-to-day stuff.

What did MFP give you for daily calories? They're usually pretty good with their calculations.
  • SerenBunny
    Options
    That makes sense.

MFP says 2450 cals, but that seems like so much when ever I think about the amount of food it is lol xx
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    TDEE Calculator? xx

TDEE = total daily energy expendeture.

A common way to determine your target calories is to calcualte the TDEE - which would be your maintenance calories - and subtract from there.

Here's a good one. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Just remember as you lose weight your body will need less calories to consume so about ever 10 lbs or so re calculate and more then likely itll go down
  • SerenBunny
    Options
    Ahh, thanks guys! I'm thinking maybe aiming for 2200 cals to start with? Means I can maybe get rid of my pesky headaches (weren't sure if it was due to lack of sugar or eating lol) xx
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I really like the scoobys workshop link too - I use it all the time!

Another way to look at TDEE is maintenance calories. It's the estimated # of calories your body needs to do day-to-day activities and any purposeful exercise. This is the # of calories you'd need to consume to stay at the same weight. Typically folks aim to eat about 20% less than this number for weight loss. That website does the math for you so no need to overthink!

BMR is the estimated # of calories your body would need as if it was in a coma. Try to eat at least this amount in order to make sure you're getting enough nutrients/calories.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ahh, thanks guys! I'm thinking maybe aiming for 2200 cals to start with? Means I can maybe get rid of my pesky headaches (weren't sure if it was due to lack of sugar or eating lol) xx

Yep - do this for two weeks and see where you are. If you aren't losing weight then consider lowering your target by 200 calories and see how that goes for two more weeks.