Why myfitnesspal?

Options
13»

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I've been on Sparkpeople.. I tried it many times, and I lost maybe 10lbs each time. I think it was more of a me issue than a site issue.

MFP worked, so I'm here!

I LOVE the fact that the home page does not have all the crazy stuff Sparkpeople have (a spinner for logging in, articles, lots of distracting crap!)
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    It is the least messy and confusing site I've used. I used Calorie Count for a while, but found it too complicated and didn't like the grading system.

A Yoplait light (sugar-free) yogurt or light cracker gets an A grade, while a pat of butter or tablespoon of heavy cream gets an F. Needless to say, I failed most days. I don't find that to be very positive.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    At first I was using some app that would only show my calorie count using colors and pie chart... The food was organized by color or description of bad or good. I like facts and numbers; I found MFP and found it so much easier to use.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    The company I work for had a nuritionist come in for some "Lunch and Learn" sessions. She recommended it for anyone wanting to track calories. I tried it almost a year ago and have not looked back!
  • mars55991
    mars55991 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My endocrinoligist recommended it. It fit my needs really well.
  • Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I used Livestrong's MyPlate for two years but the site started getting really commercial. I was really turned off by all the product placements in their articles; everything started to feel really biased. The food database was also lacking and it was a pain to get anything added. I use to look up calories in MFP to fill in the gaps on MyPlate, then realized I should just move everything over here and save myself some hassle.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have used Sparkpeople, Calorie Count, and Fit Day, and MFP by far has the best food database of them all. I had to enter in probably half of my food manually. Everything is on MFP. And its simple to use.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used Livestrong's MyPlate for two years but the site started getting really commercial. I was really turned off by all the product placements in their articles; everything started to feel really biased. The food database was also lacking and it was a pain to get anything added. I use to look up calories in MFP to fill in the gaps on MyPlate, then realized I should just move everything over here and save myself some hassle.

I agree whole heartedly! The product placement is ridiculous, and all the articles are extremely subjective and headstrong that that method is the only right one, which confuses noobs.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I was using sparkpeople and that was OK for tracking. However, I like MFP support better. I used to belong to Ediets for a long time and the reason I stuck with it was the people and the support. I find that here more than I did on SparkPeople. Here there are more boards, more interaction and the statuses on the home page from your friends.

I am not the most active users, but I really like that I can find motivation and other geeks like me here.
  • lolliemonsta
    lolliemonsta Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was on Livestrong for a while too, but I found it was just demotivating in some way.
    I found this app originally as the calorie-counter, but liked that you could also log exercise.
    I find I stick to this one a lot more, I actually log more on this than I did on Livestrong (could be to do with the fact that it's on my phone and I don't have to wait until I get home to do it...)
    The people on here are much friendlier than the people on Livestrong too, which is a HUGE plus for me.