I am new and have a question

Options
Hi!
I signed up here mainly for support and motivation to give and receive. My question is, can that be done without actually putting in all the information such as food, calories and so on. In other words, I prefer to just do that on my own and come here to give and receive support and motivation. I would like to have a banner though. I promised a friend I would try a diet with her and want to keep that promise. Thanks!

Replies

• Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. If you have your own method of keeping track of things that doesn't require this app, go for it. As long as you have something that keeps you accountable somewhere. I think there are quite a few people who do that on here.
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started that way as well- you can set your personal settings so no one can see or, you can modify to your comfort. I have been much more accountable though, and able to get and give better support by being honest and letting my friends see my diary- this is really a lifestyle choice to make change, not a "diet" but, once I got here and used the sight as intended, and, opened up my diary- it was totally a life changer! But, again, if it works for you to get started, then do what you need to do for you- this isn't really about anyone else anyway! Good luck!
  • tgg40022
    Options
    Thank you for your response!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Of course! There's no rule that says you have to log anything. But I do know that the support on here is fantastic and particularly helpful by cheering each other on based on posts and logs. But either way, love this place and think it's helpful no matter how you choose to use it. I log both food and exercise but not fanatical about it. I'm pretty laid back about it and it helps no matter.

Good luck! Feel free to add me.
  • Gnaterlie
    Options
    I have found that more people respond when they have something to respond to. For instance if your calories come in lower than normal MFP will show you were below and that your diary is not viewable. Most people won't say anything because you may of had a box of twinkies for the whole day and came in under. Giving a great job for that would be counterproductive. It also helps keep you accountable. You may have never realized this or that about something your doing and if someone see it they can help you over a hurdle you may have.

I was scared to death to myself out in the world but here I am. Take it or leave it. I get pointers, recipe ideas, and great motivation all from people who are willing to put themselves out in the world too, that's what works for me. You will find folks that fit your style no worries!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I signed up here mainly for support and motivation to give and receive. My question is, can that be done without actually putting in all the information such as food, calories and so on. In other words, I prefer to just do that on my own and come here to give and receive support and motivation. I would like to have a banner though. I promised a friend I would try a diet with her and want to keep that promise. Thanks!

No. There is only one way to do things. Everyone else is wrong.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yes you can but the best part is making friends so that you can get help. You start to log stuff just to see how you do. Its up to you! Also we get down and dirty sometimes and that's fun too!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    To have a banner, all you have to do is enter your weight as you progress. If you set your diary to private, no one will know if you are logging here or elsewhere.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. But you know, in your position I'd probably log and keep it private out of curiosity to see the numbers. But I have a thing for tracking stuff.
  • Headingforhealthier
    Options
    Many people run their MFP lives that way.

I found that writing my food into a handwritten small notebook was more useful than filtering through the MFP database full of user-inputted tuna sandwiches with no sodium count...

You do whatever works best for you right now, and if you feel that you would get more feedback with an open and filled-out diary, go for it. You'll discover what helps you lose and what doesn't :)
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! You can try different things to see what will work for you, everyone is a work in progress. You can add me if you like, I'm on here everday. Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I used to log my food/calories on here very consistently, the first time I used MFP regularly, and it helped me Immensely in understanding how I help/sabotage my own success... I found it very helpful to long the food/calories.

This time around, I am doing it differently but still having lots of success! I'm in a situation (living out of hotels, in foreign countries, for a few months at a time, due to my job) that makes it very difficult if not impossible to track my food/calories accurately, but I feel that all the time I've spent doing this in the past helped me to have a better understanding of what I'm putting in my body. So, this time around I do not track my food/calories, but I do somewhat track my exercising, and I weigh in on here weekly. I find the support on the forums and from MFP friends to be very, very helpful :-)

Bottom line - use MFP however it works for you :-)
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    At MFP you can pretty much do what ever you want. You can fill them out and share, not share, or not fill them out. But I am not sure why you would want to be on here if you are not using the site.

The only thing I will note is, if you are looking for support it is hard to give support if you are not giving too. What I mean is, I have some friends that have bad day, and wonder why this is not working or that, when it is hard to make suggestions if you are not filling out the logs. Then again, I am not friends with a ton of friends from where I live, I am more of friends with people who are trying or who have been successful. And those are the people that help motivate me and keep me motivated to be successful. I tend to listen to their opinions, because I can see them living it. But that is just my opinion.
  • tgg40022
    Options
    I think I have confused some of you. I want to put everything out there, I just don't want it to be too structured. My lifestyle is not that organized. I have no idea what I am going to eat until I go to the kitchen and look. I could handle it at the end of the day coming here and logging what I ate, exercise, etc. I got the impression that you needed to have it all planned out before hand. Was I wrong? I know all about being committed to what this forum is about and how we all support and motivate each other. I am a member of a smoking forum and have successfully quit and am very committed and plan on continuing to be a member. I love it. So I understand the importance and necessity of being committed. Im sorry I didn't explain myself better. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond to my post and I hope you can give me another chance here so I may get this going asap. I have already lost 4 lbs and I really don't want to get discouraged. Thank you ALL.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I see why you're confused! I don't log my food, but I log exercise. Some people log in detail (too much detail). Personally I believe that the less time spent online the more successful you'll be. Lacey's comment up above said it best. Do whatever works for you! Now go get 'em tiger!