How do you prepare your lentils?

Options
mkm81
mkm81 Posts: 34 Member
I'm looking for some yummy, healthy lentil recipes! Please share! :) Thanks!

Replies

• NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Lemony Lentil Salad

1 cup cooked lentils
    1/2 can drained artichoke quarters (packed in water)
    5 asparagus spears (steamed and cut into pieces)
    Juice from one lemon
    1 Tbsp EV olive oil
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    Ground black pepper (to taste)

Makes 4 servings: 109 cal, 14g carb, 4g fat, 6g protein, 6g fiber, 4g calcium
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Bumping because so far I've only used them in soup. That one above sounds delish.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Just bumping ;) Picked up a bag of them last time I went grocery shopping. I'm gonna scope out allrecipes.
  • ANinjaNamedLarkyn
    Options
    With Hot sauce- lots of hot sauce:wink:
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump for yummy recipes.
  • VonLilium
    VonLilium Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite lentil recipes is pumpkin lentil soup;

1 tbsp olive oil
    2 onions, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    approx 800g chopped pumpkin flesh
    100g split red lentils
    ½ small pack thyme, leaves picked, plus extra to serve
    1L hot vegetable stock
    pinch of salt and sugar

Simmer it all together after browning the garlic and onions then puree it with a blender. Its a nice side soup for a sandwich or salad :)
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I prepare my lentils by talking to them and letting them know that this is for the best before putting them in a pot of soup...
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I prepare my lentils by talking to them and letting them know that this is for the best before putting them in a pot of soup...
    :laugh:

Laurel's Kitchen Greek Lentil Soup. The best.
  • tgorshkov
    tgorshkov Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I found a few great recipes on this web site:

http://www.lentils.ca/recipe-box/recipe-index
  • ashadowreflected
    ashadowreflected Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1 cup lentils + 1/2 cup quinoa + 3 cup water = the start of magic.

Boil the water first then add the rinsed lentils and quinoa. return to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or so.

Once you have done this, there is a few things you can do with it. I use this like most people use ground beef. It is very nutritious and doesn't have the fat that beef has.

Add Taco Bell Taco Seasoning for the last 10 minutes of simmering for vegetarian tacos and burritos. It is amazing!

I also have a really good red bell pepper casserole recipe with lentils and quinoa. Feel free to message me if you want this recipe. Makes 6 servings at about 230 calories each and it is VERY filling.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

I feel so cold hearted now, I just thoughtlessly tossed them into the pot.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Dahl is really good (had it tonight!) - here a recipe as an example:

http://www.london-unattached.com/2013/11/indian-spice-5-2-diet-recipe-lentil-dahl/

Shepherdess pie is another option:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lentilshepherdspiewi_93532
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Dahl is really good (had it tonight!) - here a recipe as an example:

http://www.london-unattached.com/2013/11/indian-spice-5-2-diet-recipe-lentil-dahl/

Shepherdess pie is another option:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lentilshepherdspiewi_93532

Yeah...I make Dahl a lot. It's handy to just have around for quick lunches, etc.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I chop carrots, celery, onion (maybe other veggies depending on what I have) and a little garlic and throw it right in the water with the lentils and let it all boil together. If I have veggie stock on hand I'll use that too. But the main ingredient is a Graham Masala seasoning mix (i got it from williams sonoma). I put about a tablespoon for 1 cup of uncooked lentils. It's delicious!!!!! My husband loves it (and i never thought i'd hear him say he "loves" anything that involves lentils lol). You could add more seasoning if you wanted, but this is the perfect mild but flavorful amount for me. I throw the lentils over rice and i'm done. yum.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options

bleeeh you beat me to it. I was coming in here to say that I sit them down and calmly explain to them how it's gonna be.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Boil the water first then add the rinsed lentils and quinoa. return to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or so.

Once you have done this, there is a few things you can do with it. I use this like most people use ground beef. It is very nutritious and doesn't have the fat that beef has.

Add Taco Bell Taco Seasoning for the last 10 minutes of simmering for vegetarian tacos and burritos. It is amazing!

I also have a really good red bell pepper casserole recipe with lentils and quinoa. Feel free to message me if you want this recipe. Makes 6 servings at about 230 calories each and it is VERY filling.

In, because I need to learn how to cook, and this sounds good.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Add this to the list: Snobby Joes, from the Post Punk Kitchen
    http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/snobby-joes/

It only seems like a lot of chili powder -- the "bite" actually comes from the mustard (if you use a good mustard, like Coleman's).
  • EvilTracy
    Options
    My favorite way to eat lentils is in an omelette first thing in the morning. I put some spinach and cooked lentils in the fry pan with a bit of water, add my beaten egg/egg white combo, and when they're partially set, some low fat cheese. And then LOTS of hot sauce!! Yummy!
  • ashadowreflected
    ashadowreflected Posts: 20 Member
    Options

In, because I need to learn how to cook, and this sounds good.

You can also double the lentils and quinoa and for the last 10 minutes add a 2-Alarm Chili Kit and the tomato sauce as directed on the box for a quick and easy chili that will have a lot leftover for later.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I buy canned low sodium lentils.
    Today I made lentil sloppy joes with this recipe. I left out the turkey,pickle and useless less olive oil.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/the-sloppy-lo-recipe/index.html