Im pregnant, how many calories should i eat to maintain?

Replies

• cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    I ditto joining that pregnancy group. I ate maintance which was 1600 for first tri, second tri I ate 1700 and third tri I ate 1800-1900. whoops. I gained about 33-34lbs and exercised 3-4days a week until I gave birth at 39wks 5days.lol. SOOOO good luck!! I too was on 1500 cals before pregnancy :))

edit**oh my baby boy was perfectly healthy weighing 7lbs 6oz :))
  • Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! :):):)

I have a master's degree in nurse-midwifery and had some thoughts on this... :)

First of all, good for you for doing good things to keep yourself healthy during your pregnancy! You probably know this but it is very important that you gain the amount of weight that your doctor/midwife recommended and not try to "diet" while pregnant. If you gain none or too little weight, it can be very dangerous for your baby--it puts the baby at risk for growth problems.

So, I would advise not counting your calories, but instead eat protein plus carbs with each meal/snack, and plenty of fruits/vegetables. Your doctor/midwife should be getting your weight at each visit and helping monitor things with your weight--they will let you know if you are gaining too much or too little. But just so you are aware, people with "normal" pre-pregnant BMIs should gain 25-35 lbs during pregnancy, "underweight" BMI should gain more like 35-45 lbs, and "overweight" people should gain 15-25 lbs. If a person is in the obese category prior to pregnancy, 11-20 lbs is recommended.

Point being, don't try too hard and stress about counting calories--instead eat every few hours, eat a well-balanced diet, and ENJOY being pregnant and getting ready for your new baby!!!

(plus, a bonus: if you plan on breastfeeding, you will lose "baby weight" faster!!!) ;)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I'm not pregnant but I put 5ft2 120lbs into the calculator just for fun and it reckons I should eat 1324 cals in my first trimester....not sure many doctors would agree this is healthy...

You have to know the tool.

You selected BMR, didn't you, that's the only way to hit that low of number.
    BMR is NOT maintenance, unless you slept all day long. BMR doesn't even include the energy burned digesting food.

Be honest with your activity level, now what do you get?

I had to tell it I work out everyday to even get it above 2100 (Which is about my maintenance). I only work out 3 days a week.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    I think the *general* recommendation is maintenance for the first trimester, +100-300 above maintenance second, and +300-500 above maintenance for third and while breastfeeding.
    Try not to get too caught up in it though. I micromanaged my calories during pregnancy and didn't eat enough, and it resulted in lack of weight gain on both my part and my daughter's part. I was induced at 37 weeks because she wasn't thriving properly anymore. She was 6 lbs 4 oz and thankfully as healthy as can be, but calorie counting because of my paranoia of gaining too much should NOT have been my priority. I would instead focus on eating nutrient-rich foods and not focus on the numbers too much. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'm not pregnant but I put 5ft2 120lbs into the calculator just for fun and it reckons I should eat 1324 cals in my first trimester....not sure many doctors would agree this is healthy...

You have to know the tool.

You selected BMR, didn't you, that's the only way to hit that low of number.
    BMR is NOT maintenance, unless you slept all day long. BMR doesn't even include the energy burned digesting food.

Be honest with your activity level, now what do you get?

I had to tell it I work out everyday to even get it above 2100 (Which is about my maintenance). I only work out 3 days a week.

You probably have better metabolism compared to others with same age, weight, height, because of having more LBM than average.
    If you knew BF%, you could probably use the Katch option, that might get it up there to reality.

But the example I was commenting on, the only way I could hit her number given was selecting BMR which is incorrect usage of tool - or about 60 yrs old and sedentary.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    If I get pregnant I look forward to sleeping all day :)
  • My midwife told me to eat 300 calories more than maintenance plus exercise calories. I did exactly that and had 15 pounds to lose after I had my daughter to get back to maintenance.
  • Twinmamamarion
    Twinmamamarion Posts: 33 Member
    I *begged* for nutrition/caloric guidelines when I was pregnant, and just got the "eat healthy" from my doctor....proceeded to gain 65 pounds (which is how I landed here...ha!) with my twins who came prematurely. I didn't get any real guidance until I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I would again ask your doc, but I'd guess 1800-2100 is good. Make sure you eat plenty of lean protein and calcium. :) Good luck mama, and congratulations!
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment, your all lovely!! I have set my diary to maintain my weight, and my calories are 1830 per day. I will definitely be trying to eat really well with veg, fruit, carbs and protein so I can hit my daily calories :smile: In my first pregnancy my doctor and midwife only weighed me the first time I went to see them which isn't great! Its 3 years since then and its thankfully now changed, they weigh you every time you go and see them.
    Thanks everyone!! :flowerforyou:
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm just over 3 months along and have been sticking at roughly 1900-2200 cals per day. I'm already overweight and gained a LOT with my first pregnancy so I'm trying to keep things fairly level, this time, allowing for ~10kg (22 lbs) of gain.

Nutritionally, bad nausea had me eating white carbs and little else for nearly two months just to keep it tolerable, but I think I've turned the corner on that. Now I'm having a homemade veggie/fruit juice daily (pulp saved for hi-fiber muffins!), lots of salads and vegetarian dinners to keep my nutrient intake up, a good deal of fish and grass-fed beef, and plenty of moderate indulgences (NUTELLA!) to keep me going hehe. Now that the nausea has eased I'm going to start regular level-road walks (no hills as I've suffered SPD before) and some light pregnancy workouts.

I've put on a total of 2kg (~4.5 lbs) but that hasn't increased since the worst nausea at 9wks so I think I've found the right caloric niche for me. I'm bigger than you, so I imagine if you start with your ~1800 plan and don't stop yourself from adding healthy snacks if/when you are still hungry, you'll be good as gold! Good luck with everything!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    I did not count calories or macros during pregnancy! Took the first 5 months of pregnancy as excuse to eat! I gained about 25 pounds or so by then :embarrassed:
    Was diagnosed with Gestational diabetes and had to meet a nutritionist every week after that! I had to write down my food, walk after every meal, eat lots of protein, control portions, drink lots of water, lots of veggies, less fruit because of GD. I initially lost 4 pounds, but then gained only about 8 more pounds until the end of my pregnancy. I did not have to take any medication for the GD with the controlled portion and walks!
    Baby was born healthy, but small! Definitely not what doctor predicted, i doubt she was not even full term! She was around 6 pounds.
    So you are doing the right thing by logging your food, track your macros! Get in enough fats and proteins, stay active and you will do just great! And oh, yes, Congratulations:drinker: I had the time of my life during pregnancy!
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    What did your doctor say?

or midwife!!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member

or midwife!!!

In England we see a midwife, not a doctor, and they're not bothered about your weight beyond the booking appointment around 11 weeks where you get weighed to check your BMI. They don't seem that clued up on exercise and weight during pregnancy to be honest.

I'm 26 weeks pregnant this Sun and eat around 1800 calories a day, and will probably increase this to 2000 in my third trimester. I'm 5'6 and was 154lbs before pregnancy, after losing nearly 70lbs after my second baby. I was eating 1500 a day.

The calories I eat are fine for me. If I'm hungry, I'll eat a little more, but I'm finding 1800 is enough at the moment. I'm working out 4-5 times a week.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    I'm 16 weeks. I have a small athletic build and was very very fit prior to being pregnant 120lb prior to being prego. I use MFP to make sure I'm getting 'enough'. I would just make sure what you put into your body is healthy, regular and that you're eating when you're hungry. I'm anywhere between 1700-2000 calories depending on if I work out and end up hungry again :) If you're super-concerned about it, ask your doc when you go to your next visit.

P.S. Stay OFF those internet forums that say EVERY woman should gain 3-5 during first trimester and 1-1.5 lb a week the second two or something is wrong....EVERY WOMAN IS DIFFERENT.
  • You arenèt supposed to maintain your weight. You need to GAIN 25-35 lbs if you are in a normal weight range.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Obviously put yourself at maintenance calories if you haven't already. From all the research I have done on this subject, the common trend is to increase the calories by 200 in the second trimester and 300 in the third. As all mothers know, the baby is a leech and will take from you exactly what it needs, so there's no need to eat for two, more like eating for 1.5 people, and that's when your full term. Continue to count calories and if your weight gain is right on track and your doctor is happy, keep doing it. Congrats on the pregnancy and stay healthy.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    I think the *general* recommendation is maintenance for the first trimester, +100-300 above maintenance second, and +300-500 above maintenance for third and while breastfeeding.

This is basically what I stuck to. For me it was 1500 first tri, 1600-1700 second tri, and 1800 third tri. I went a week past due, gained 18 lbs total, and was back to pre-preg weight and clothes (meaning I could put them on - they didn't necessarily look right because my actual body-shape did not "bounce right back" lol) by two weeks postpartum. But, I was between 25 and 30 lbs overweight when I got knocked up, so my doctor was perfectly fine with me counting calories. I was recommended to only gain 15ish lbs anyway.

Moral of the story, don't eat A LOT more than you normally would and talk to your doctor.
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member
  • You've gotten good calorie advice (maintenance + 300 calories per day in 2nd and 3rd trimester) but I just wanted to add that you need to make sure you're getting enough protein and healthy fats in your diet. The growing baby needs more protein and fat than you most likely ate pre-pregnancy, and the added protein also really helped my energy levels while pregnant. I didn't have any morning sickness, but I also have heard that the extra protein relieves that as well. A good protein goal is 60-90g per day (depending on your weight).

Here's a good link to some pregnancy nutrition info: http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/eating_right_before_and_during_pregnancy/
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    I am currently 23 weeks pregnant and what I was recommended by midwife (I live in US) to change my goal settings to Maintenance. For the second and third trimester I was to change to gain half a pound per week. I started off with my BMI at the low end of overweight, so we are aiming for a 15-20 pound weight gain. So far I am at a 7 pound gain from my first doctor appointment. If you look at my profile it will say that I have not gained as much as I started my weight measurements when I found out I was pregnant at week 5. The first trimester was rough and I lost quite a bit of weight. My first doctor appointment I was in the 150's and that is where we are basing the weight gain measurements off of. She stated that I am need to change third trimester to gain 1 pound a week, but we would play it by ear.

I am to eat back any exercise calories. She also recommended that if I am hungry and don't have calories avaiable that I eat. Not that I wouldn't because I love my food and happily eat. But overall she was happy that I logged my meals/day with MFP as she stated those that are aware of what they are eating usually have a healthy pregnancy and get the nutrients that they need.

Today is a turning into a great over day as I have a craving that I can not decide what it is and everything I have ate so far has yet to satisify it. I would highly suggest at your next appointment to STRESS to your doctor that you really want to discuss weight gain during the pregnancy and what is appropriate calorie amount. When I had my discussion with the midwife I had already figured out my maintenance amount and what I was thinking of increasing calories to for the second trimester. I had printed off the graph showing how much I was consuming and addressed with her my concern that I was not getting enough iron. If you come prepared and it might help get a better response.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want as well.