Burning Calories

Options
I try to get on the treadmill everyday for at least 90 and burn 300 to 500 calories each workout. I always see people posting these 1000 calorie and up burns during their workouts. What are you guys doing to burn that many calories? Ive increased my incline and speed and still result in a little over 500. What are the workouts you do to get 1000 calorie burned?

Replies

• determined99
    Options
    i would think the more weight one carries the more calories they would burn in that hour. I can burn max 500 if i run for an hour...would be nice to loose in 1000's :)
  • Michele_13
    Options
    1000 calories on a treadmill seems insane.. I, personally, get BORED on the treadmill unless I have a work out buddy lol. Try an elliptical. You can adjust the settings to more resistance, and it works various muscles in your body for a more balanced leg and core workout. They're also easier on the joints ;) And on a bonus side, you burn more calories in half that time!
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh, the more calories you burn for that same exercise. I have noticed, for myself, that when I wear my HRM and compare the calories burned on it to what MFP or even my treadmill show I burn, that my HRM (which is the more accurate one) shows less calories so it could be that the people you see are using a generic number and not one that is specifically for them and their weight, too. Same thing with Zumba. I read that you burn about 500 calories in an hour -- I wear my HRM every week and it's somewhere over 300 but I, sadley, never get close to 500.
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    OH and one more thing, try adding some running in on the treadmill and that should boost the calories burned. Also, there are some workout dvd's for the treadmill so that may help. I have read about them but haven't tried it yet.
  • maria95
    Options
    hey sweetie!

burning 500 calories is a great goal each time you exercise so dont be disheartened by the fact that people are burning more. welll done :) walking is an effective way to lose weight effectively as you burn the calories slow and its not a quick fix so it is often effective.
    ways you could increase the amount of calories you burn is by joining some aerobic classes that get your heart-rate up higher (which will make you burn more calories). these classes are really fun as its a good change from the one machine and they set the pace. there are losts of different classes as well like spin and kick boxing. pretty much any activity that increases your heart rate (cardio exercises such as swimming or jogging) will help with extra calorie burn.
    weight training doesnt help burn many calories but increasing your muscle mass helps increase the amount of calories you burn on a day to day basis as muscle burns more then fat.

i hope that helps :)
  • maria95
    Options
    hey sweetie!

burning 500 calories is a great goal each time you exercise so dont be disheartened by the fact that people are burning more. welll done :) walking is an effective way to lose weight effectively as you burn the calories slow and its not a quick fix so it is often effective.
    ways you could increase the amount of calories you burn is by joining some aerobic classes that get your heart-rate up higher (which will make you burn more calories). these classes are really fun as its a good change from the one machine and they set the pace. there are losts of different classes as well like spin and kick boxing. pretty much any activity that increases your heart rate (cardio exercises such as swimming or jogging) will help with extra calorie burn.
    weight training doesnt help burn many calories but increasing your muscle mass helps increase the amount of calories you burn on a day to day basis as muscle burns more then fat.

i hope that helps :)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I try to get on the treadmill everyday for at least 90 and burn 300 to 500 calories each workout. I always see people posting these 1000 calorie and up burns during their workouts. What are you guys doing to burn that many calories? Ive increased my incline and speed and still result in a little over 500. What are the workouts you do to get 1000 calorie burned?

I have had to run at a speed of 12kph (7.5mph) for 8 miles, plus ten minute warm down and then I burn 1000 calories.

It depends on the speed, incline and amount of time spent on the treadmill, roughly 110 calories burned for every one mile run (or) walked).

Usually, I do not burn that amount of calories though, on average I burn around 700/800 - that's running around 5 or 6 miles at 7.5mph.

It can 100% be done.

To the OP - WTG on your own burns there, it matters not a jot what anybody else is doing, you are doing grand because 500 calories is not to be sniffed and is a great burn! xxx
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree...great job! I am still striving for 500 burned! I only get in the 300 to 400 range and I am zapped. Of course I was VERY SADLY out of shape so it takes time to be able to do more. Still 500 to me is fantastic! Just keep it up and work for more as you go!
  • mab0669
    Options
    I think a lot of people way over exaggerate the amount of calories they're burning. I see people posting questions about how to count breastfeeding, sitting on a balance ball, sitting at their desk at work and so fourth as exercise. They're only cheating themselves by doing silly things like this. I use the calorie counter on my treadmill to calculate my calories. It calculates it by the incline and speed. I wouldn't pay too much attention to what others are posting as i see things all the time that seem so ridiculous to me. I almost never take advise from these message boards and if i do see something that seems feasible i double check it elsewhere.
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey girl...yes calories burned are based on how much u weigh....I am 300 lbs +...so if I walk 60 mins I mayburn 1200 cals ...u also eat more calories when u weigh more. U may want to try stairmaster or crosstrainer for a larger burn...but ur walking is great too
  • Eliannasmom
    Eliannasmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Typically the treadmill calories are not all that accurate as others have posted using a HRM is the best way to go. However increasing speed and incline will help too. Also to interval train slow down speed up etc is a great method for calorie burning!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    When I see large calorie burns it is usually associated with the Elliptical - or the person is running for really long time frames. Also, some people work out twice a day, but only log in their exercise one time. So, if you were to run on the treadmill for an hour in the morning and an hour at night - that would demonstrate a much bigger calorie burn number wise.

I do know the elliptical burns a lot of calories especially if you have more weight to lose. Just keep doing what you are doing - it seems like you are doing well.

Vickie
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Try the elliptical! You'll be surprised how easy it is and it really does burn more calories than the treadmill! And like everyone else said, 500 calories is a great burn!
  • trish1215
    Options
    You should try a zumba class in your area or look into getting the video to do in your home. You can burn up to 1000 calories in one hour of zumba. AND it's fun!!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I call it intensity. The harder you work your heart the better the burn. Rev up heart rate increases metabolism which inturn burns more calories during & after workout. Some people just get on there favorite machine & just go thru the motions, this will help but choosing interval cycles & speeds increases heart rate & get to do it in less time! [added benefit].

I have a program I call Quick Burn, takes 10 mins and your done,better then taking hr to complete! Must warm up!!!! [flex,stretch]...pick your favorite eguipment..[ trendmill,glide,bicycle, jump rope, even running in place will work]

Goes like this................. 30 seconds fast as you can
    30 seconds near the slowest but not slowest!
    30 seconds fast as you can
    30 seconds near the slowest but not the slowest
    Do this for a total of 20 rounds or 10 minutes & watch how your heart rate speeds up and how wet your clothes are after that 10 mins. Plus workout is complete! Remember its not the time you put in doing exercise its the intensity!!:wink:
  • Cher217
    Cher217 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OK... Thank for all the encouragement and the advice. I just purchased a HRM last night so I can't wait to open it up. And your right, 500 a day is pretty good. I am going to try to switch it up though. I usually just put on a movie and walk till the movie is done. (I love netflix). But watching a movie everyday gets a little old. I will go to Target tonight to check out some DVD's.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with 500 calories.

Your calories burned during exercise depends on 2 things: your weight and the intensity of your workout.

At the same intensity level, a heavier person will burn more calories than a lighter person.

At the same weight, a person doing a higher-intensity workout will burn more calories than someone doing a lower intensity workout.

To achieve a legitimate 1000 calories/hr workout, it usually takes a combination of a somewhat larger size and higher fitness level. It will be very difficult for someone who weighs less than 150 to burn 1000 calories in an hour, even if they are pretty fit.

Just one example: I have documented an intensity of 1000 cals/hr (17 per minute) with a metabolic cart. I weigh 200 lbs and was running at about a 7:45/mile pace. Someone who weighed 154 lbs would only burn about 800 at the same level of effort.

Obviously, if you are willing to put in the time, one can achieve a 1000-calorie workout even at a lower level of exercise--it just takes longer.

Intensity is more significant that modality. If you are working at the same intensity, you will burn calories at the same rate, regardless of whether you are on a treadmill, cross trainer, bike, etc. The difference is that many people find it easier to work at higher intensities doing certain exercises: studies have shown that average exercisers naturally self-select higher work intensities when running or doing an Arc Trainer, for example, compared to a bike or stairclimber.

When anyone, or any infomercial claims that "equipment X burns more calories than a treadmill", they are not comparing equal intensities, so you have to be careful when evaluating those claims.

Heart rate monitors can be helpful and reasonably accurate under certain conditions, but they can also provide significantly inaccurate information as well.

Many women have exercise heart rates (actually maximum heart rates) that are higher than the age-predicted calculated numbers. If you are one of those people, and you have not entered your true maximum heart rate into your HRM setup, the HRM will significantly overestimate your caloric expenditure--it assumes you are working at 90%-95% of max, for example, instead of 65%-70%.

HRMs will overestimate caloric expenditure if you are doing significant upper body work, especially overhead movements.

HRMs will overestimate caloric expenditure if you are exercising in a warm environment.

HRMs cannot be used to estimate calories burned during strength training--for some people, esp untrained ones whose heart rates increase during strength training, that can significantly overestimate the total.

And, finally, HRMs are not designed to accurately estimate calories at rest or during normal daily activities.

And we won't even start talking about machines.

So, bottom line, don't be intimidated by large calorie numbers posted on this or any other website. Look for ways to increase your caloric expenditure (during exercise and during your normal life), but a good fitness training program includes balance between higher-intensity and lower-intensity work, aerobic exercise and strength training, variety, etc.
  • avalonfloyd
    Options
    I agree with what someone posted, that people will log it in as one exercise when really they are doing it throughout the day. I'm guilty of that. I'll ride the bike for 10 minutes, go off and watch TV, come back and ride again, on and off through the day, but log it as one amount of time.

And the elliptical is great for burning calories. I can burn over 200 in 20 minutes, if I put it on a higher setting (can't go for longer than 20 minutes at a time though!). I try to burn at least 1200 a day, but that's spread out into at least 2 and sometimes 3 workouts. In the morning I usually strive for 500 calories burned, so you are doing great if you do it in one go. It takes me at least 20 minutes on the elliptical and about half an hour on the bike to do that!

Keep up the good work!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I have been frustrated to see others burning more calories doing less but then I have to figure that I am pretty small and pretty fit at this point...therefore to get my heartrate up and stay up I have to work pretty hard. With that said...I cannot reference this but the average is about 90-110 calories per mile. I am down at the 90 cals per mile...my mom would be more like 130 per mile as she is just beginning her journey and can hardly walk up stairs. If it takes me one hour to run 8 miles then I will burn about 720 cals in one hour..but if it takes me that hour to walk 3 miles then I willy get about 300 cals. Your incline will up your burn. Also consider that while I doubt anyone is lying...I know they aren't...they might not have accurate info. A friend of mine has a treadmill that she has never used. I am a runner. She asked me if the calorie reading is accurate. I have found them to be pretty close to my HRM...but only at the gym where the treadmill asks my weight and age etc. So anyway she was super excited when she said she burned 500 cals in 30 minutes at a 4.0-4.5 pace. She is pretty fit herself and while running is very new to her I doubt she burned 500 cals in 30 minutes at that pace...It doesn't match up with the cals per mile formula etc...and she only checked her HR once or twice...I didn't want to discourage her and she is already talking about getting a HRM for Christmas so I will only correct her if she asks again...she doesn't love running so I doubt she will replace all her other DVD's at this time for the huge burn she thought she got...but I will correct her if she starts using the treadmill on a daily basis to burn an imagined 500 cals in 30 minutes.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    The other day I did the elliptical for 60 minutes on a hard resistance. It kicked my *kitten* all over the place. I was wearing my HRM and burned 658 calories. I did jumping jacks and abs afterward in order to reach a 700 calories burned.