POLAR FT4: How often do you have to wet the electrodes?

Options
How can I use it for a long hour walk? Do you have to keep the electrode wet ALL the time?

It's hard to sweat at this weather unless I'm wearing 4-5 layers of clothing. Today I walked for 4 hours at a speed of 3.5mph and I hardly sweat at all.

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i have the ft7. i just wet it once when i put it on. thats just my 2 cents.
  • gymboreejunkie
    gymboreejunkie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wet the electrodes/chest strap right before each workout.
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    Bump, still trying to decide which one to get, so I would like to see some of your replies
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to wet them when you put the chest strap on, no need to worry about it during your workout. As long as it's showing your heart rate, you're good to go.

I have a FT4 and I have never had to re-wet them.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else, just wet them when you first put it on, and I have the FT4 as well.
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    LOVE my FT4 hasn't given me a bit of trouble other than one battery change in the watch portion since I bought it a year and a half ago. It has been a real godsend when it comes to my fitness.

I wet the electrodes fairly generously (hold under the warm tap) before my workout, and even if the workout isn't a sweaty one it has always maintained connectivity for me. The only issue I have is sometimes the lower elastic in my bras push the strap up/down/off of my skin and disrupt my connection. This depends on the bra, and might have to do with my body type (extreme hourglass) and where I wear the strap.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm almost afraid to even say it in this forum, but I use KY instead of water. I wet the chest strap once before my workout and have never had any problems.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and have never hat to re-wet it during a workout.
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    I have the FT4 and love it. like everyone else, I just wet it prior to my workout and I'm good to go.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Love my FT4. Only ever have to wet it once before my workout. And I usually get ready at work and then drive to the gym, so there 45 minutes of inactivity and it's still find when I get to the gym and start working out. Not gonna lie, I usually spit on the electrodes. Water just beads around too much.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    What happens if you don't? Sometimes I forget to get it wet and it still seems to work fine?
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If it's working, it's fine. But if it needs wetting, you'll find the heart rate stops, goes to "00" and it's annoying. I've only ever had to re-wet it when I haven't wet it enough for it to work. So I try to remember to test it by letting it find the HR then cancel out of it. If it's found it, it's probably going to be fine when I start my workout (within half an hour or so).

I have the FT60, but the principle is the same.
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4, and I never need to re-wet it. If it's hot or if I'm already sweaty I don't even bother wetting it at all. (I tend to sweat very freely.) When I bought it, I also bought two tubes of some electrode gel with it -- I forget the brand name but there are plenty of options, less than five bucks for a very large tube. It's the same stuff they use for ultrasounds at the doctor's. If you don't sweat much you might want to buy one of those.
  • Panguin
    Options
    Usually, you only need to wet it once right before putting it on, then it's good to go. Even if you don't sweat during your workout. The water is just to have it stick to your skin to get your pulse.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar H7 and only wet before working out. I've never re-wet it.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have the FT 4, and only wet it when I put it on. Once it's on it reads until you take it off, or it falls off (forgot to adjust the strap :laugh: )
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 but I use ultrasound gel and it works like a dream. I put mine on before I leave home and it dries out if I only use water before I get to class.
  • MrsCurvyFab
    MrsCurvyFab Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i wet before i put it on also.. i dont re-wet.. i believe i have a 4? lol maybe you should ask someone else...

2nd polar question!!!

where exactly do the ladies put the strap... right under the left boob... the heart area? or directly in the middle of the chest? also, do you put it under your bra, or directly underneath it? When I first put it on the other day my HR was saying it was 199 and i barely got out of my car to start walking, by the time i got going it seemed to be normal.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've only had mine since Christmas, but I only have to wet it once. I love it!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    i wet before i put it on also.. i dont re-wet.. i believe i have a 4? lol maybe you should ask someone else...

2nd polar question!!!

where exactly do the ladies put the strap... right under the left boob... the heart area? or directly in the middle of the chest? also, do you put it under your bra, or directly underneath it? When I first put it on the other day my HR was saying it was 199 and i barely got out of my car to start walking, by the time i got going it seemed to be normal.

I put the strap against my skin under my boobs with the clip on bit central not to the left, sometimes the vibrations of a car can mess with it, this has happened to me driving to the gym, if it seemed normal after you got out and walked for a bit you're wearing it correctly. :)