Thought Process Over Calories

Options
I am having a hard thought process today. When I make a smoothie I make it with 2 cups frozen mixed fruit, 1 frozen banana, 1 container of NF Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp of coconut oil, juice of half a lemon, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 2 tbsp of ground flax seed and a half of a can of Rockstar Recovery in Orange. This smoothie comes out to 700 calories!!! I had one appointment with a natural doc a few months ago and I have done a ton of research myself on the benefits of coconut oil and with my families history of cancer and Alzheimer/dementia I really just KNOW that I need to have the coconut oil.
My problem is how do I get through the mental block of seeing all of those calories and being over on my calorie goal. I find it an easy way to get in fruits and when I have it I include spinach or kale in the smoothie as well. When I make one in the morning I usually sip on it through out most of the morning/early afternoon but it just kills me to see all of those number of calories. I am trying so hard at this.....suggestions please!!

Replies

• AlleganyMiss
    Options
    Just an added bit of info....I eat clean (90/10 rule) and gluten free and my food diary is open.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I really have nothing brilliant to add, but I'd love to see the research on the benefits of coconut oil in relation to dementia. That juice sounds like a pain in the *kitten*. Either don't drink it, or work out more. 700 calories is going to be 700 calories no matter what. I'd rather eat my calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well if you want to have a 700 calorie smoothie than you'll have to account for it - either exercise more to earn the calories for it or eat less of other things during the day. Also if you're doing the usual 1200 calorie goal that may be too low anyway.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight and that 700 calories puts you over your limit, you're having that mental block for a reason unfortunately. You'll either need to workout more to account for them, or eat less of something else so you can fit the smoothie in. 90/10 and gluten free doesn't mean you can consume more calories than you burn and still lose weight.

Is there any reason why you need to drink this particular concoction? How many calories does that Rockstar Recovery bit add?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Well if you want to have a 700 calorie smoothie than you'll have to account for it - either exercise more to earn the calories for it or eat less of other things during the day. Also if you're doing the usual 1200 calorie goal that may be too low anyway.

This. Smoothies are good...coconut oil is good...but that is one mongo huge high calorie smoothie. Id rethink your recipe...and your amounts. Why so big?
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well, if you must have coconut oil, perhaps cut down on some of the fruit. 1 banana and 2 cups frozen fruit is roughly 300 cals.
  • NiikouruDesu
    Options
    It's called cognitive dissonance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There are other ways to use coconut oil that won't result in a 700 calorie smoothie. Personally, I'd rethink the recipe on that one. Also, (and don't get me wrong, I love coconut oil)...many of the "magical" health benefits of consuming coconut oil are anecdotal at best.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would definitely cut down on the fruit and not sure how many calories are in the rockstar recover drink.

Also, I love making a "magic shell" of coconut oil over a smoothie in a bowl. Make smoothie with frozen fruit and not too much liquid so that it is really cold and denser, pour in a bowl, and then drizzle a tbs of slightly melted coconut oil on top. Stick in the freezer for a minute and a coconut oil will be hard on top like the magic shell chocolate sauce.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    140 from the frozen fruit and 100 from the banana - how many daily servings of fruit are you aiming for and do you want them all from your smoothie? With the 3 servings of fruit from the frozen fruit and 2 servings from the banana you are getting quite a lot of fruit, maybe you could cut that down?

140 from the yogurt

234 from the coconut oil - what made you decide on 2 TB? Would it be easier to incorporate some of the oil in another meal (spread on bread, with popcorn, over veggies, with meat) to spread it out over the day?

74 from the flaxseed - is this primarily for the fiber? If so, would you feel more satisfied with eating these calories in another meal instead in foods that contain fiber?

6 lemon juice
    5 Rockstar

700 calories is a lot and if you go over it doesn't matter whether the calories are healthy or not. If you have say 1500 calories to eat you could split the smoothie into 1/2 and have 350 for breakfast, 350 for snack, and 800 left for lunch/dinner/any other snacks. Does this feel sustainable to you? Can you mix up what and when you eat the various items to make it so? If it's really just the coconut oil you need then slabbed on a piece of bread or sweet potato with cinnamon really isn't the worst way to go. :love:
  • AlleganyMiss
    Options
    The concoction is starts with just basic smoothie. I add in the coconut oil, ACV, Lemon Juice and Cinnamon for the health benefits. My nutritionist got me started on them a long time ago. I was drinking it as a tea in the mornings to help with liver function. I have had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma of the spine and have suffered many side effects from it one being lowered immunity (Lemon Juice and ACV). The coconut oil and is number one for the alzheimers connection (google it) not to mention other health benefits and cinnamon for increased metabolism. This is off of my MFP food diary.

Private Selection - Mixed Fruit, Frozen, 2 cup ......180
    Bananna - 1 Medium, 1 banana.............................105
    Braggs - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 tbsp .........6
    Home Prepared - Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, 0.5 lemon......6
    Kroger - Greek Yogurt, Plain, Non-fat (6oz), 6 oz.............100
    Spectrum - Coconut Oil, Unrefined, 2 Tbsp (14g)........ 240
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 1 tsp...............6
    Bob's Red Mill - Golden Flax Seed - Whole Ground, Organic, 2 tbsp........60
    Rockstar - Recovery Energy + Hydration (Orange), 4 fl oz...........5

When I say I eat "Clean" with a 90/10 rule I don't by ANY means think that means I can get away with eating crap. When I detoxed off of all of my pain meds 3 years ago (after eating handfuls multiple times a day and getting up to 265 pounds because I could never get off the couch) I developed some major stomach issues. I had suffered from migraines for over 20 years too. I started going to docs in 2 different states trying to get it figured out. I had scan after scan. All they could come up with was that I needed to give up dairy...so I did with no change. Went back and was told give up soda...so I did ..again..NOTHING changed. On my own I spent almost a year researching and started eating as clean as possible. That started to help and then I narrowed it down to Gluten, MSG and most recently Corn. Stomach issues...GONE!! Migraines went from 3-5 a month that lasted at least 3-5 days to basically NONE!!

We hunt off and on all year and own a commercial fishing boat and live on 13 acres and grow a ton (Not last year though) so eating clean seems easy for me. I threw out EVERY processed thing in my house ......except...Rockstar..ugh! I was a pretty big soda drinker so Rockstar is my last vice. I went from att he beginning drinking a few cans a day to less than a half a can most days now. I just need that little shot of caffeine but am hoping to eventually eliminate it also.

I never put much thought into the amount of servings a day of any one thing. To be honest this is what fits in a mason jar...lol. Thats how I came up with the amounts...LOL.

I think what I am going to have to do if I want to continue to have the coconut oil...which I do...then I will just break that up over 2 days. I got to looking at my water content and sipping on that all day long was doing nothing to help consuming water. When I decided to combine it all together it just kinda made sense.

Thank you for all of your thoughts though. It gave me some stuff to think about :):smile: