Looking for support in changing to a plant-based diet

Options
Good Morning!
I have been on MFP for a long time. I log every day, and exercise 6-7 times per week. I want to change to a plant-based diet. I'm starting with three days per week, and hoping to work into full time. I watched a video called "Forks over Knives" on YouTube, and become motivated to make the change. Not to lose weight but to become more healthy. If you can support me or would like to join me in my quest for a healthy lifestyle, feel free to friend me:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Replies

• DianeKathleen
    DianeKathleen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, You certainly already have some good habits :) I have been on the same path as you for about 2 years and it's not without some challenges, but I'd love to follow along on your journey and offer support. I even started a blog so I could keep track of my veggie recipes. I'm really not trying to promote it here, but am truly working towards optimum health. It'll be great to have the support!
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Diane!! We will do it together!
    Karen
  • SaberEsPoder
    SaberEsPoder Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm in! :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    To play Devil's Advocate, why do you think a plant based diet is "healthier?" Also, "Forks Over Knives" is a propaganda piece, it's not really a very good source for knowledge. They very intentionally left out anything that didn't fully agree with their story. All of its conclusions are based on "The China Study," which has been discredited by the scientific community at large. Of course, the guy in the film is the guy that wrote "The China Study," so he's not going to tell you that.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Friend request coming!

I also became veg over time. My older two College kids became vegetarian their freshmen years, so I started experimenting when they'd come home on weekends & holidays. That led to Meatless Mondays & then to eating veg two or three times a week. Then we were only eating meat twice a week & not missing it at all the other days. The final step for me was my then 11 year old son (who considered himself an Omni-omnivore because he ate double everything!) decided to try being veg as his New Year Resolution in 2010. I said I'd do it with him & four years later we are all still vegetarian - my husband is the only hold out, but he eats whatever I make at home which is veg/vegan. My son will eat meat occasionally - he had turkey for Thanksgiving and some fish at Christmas at a family party. We don't put any kind of pressure on him either way - it's his choice.

Be thoughtful & make really good, well-seasoned food - enjoy your meals & savor every bite. I get so excited seeing vegetables at the store & farmer's market, I can't wait to get home & cook something!

Best of luck to you!!
  • rmb237
    rmb237 Posts: 3
    Options
    To play Devil's Advocate, why do you think a plant based diet is "healthier?" Also, "Forks Over Knives" is a propaganda piece, it's not really a very good source for knowledge. They very intentionally left out anything that didn't fully agree with their story. All of its conclusions are based on "The China Study," which has been discredited by the scientific community at large. Of course, the guy in the film is the guy that wrote "The China Study," so he's not going to tell you that.

A majority of the people who "discredit" the China Study were not scientists. The medical community has wholly done a 180 in the past couple of years with large medical organizations now backing a plant based diet.

I have been an incredibly unhealthy vegetarian for about 8 years now and just finished "Eat to Live" which is a fantastic book. It's finally convinced me I need to do something about my health. I look up to ultra endurance athletes who are vegan like Rich Roll and Scott Jurek. If these guys can go out an run 50+ miles eating beans, nuts, and veggies, then it can't be all that bad eh?

Congrats on your making the switch. I am sure you will feel great!
  • miz_h
    miz_h Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a plant strong diet for some time, but new to MFP. I found the adjustment phase to eating only a plant based unprocessed diet challenging, but now it is really so simple. I originally (3 years ago) dropped 50lbs over 6 months, through diet alone - no counting calories or minding portions size. Over time, I slowly gained back 15. I joined MFP to see what I'm doing wrong, and as I log what I eat, I feel like an idiot! It is obvious why I have gained - nuts, avocado, alcohol - a lot of extra calories. I'm happy to help with the plant based adventure!
  • CynthiaNH
    CynthiaNH Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Sorry, but I disagree with this reply and would like to say that there is a HUGE amount of scientific evidence that supports whole foods plant-based nutrition as a healthier choice (prevention as well as treating many chronic diseases and for healthy weight loss). I have met Dr. Campbell in person - he is a brilliant scientist, and a very humble man with great integrity. It is very sad for me whenever I read comments from others who try to discredit him (and it is understandable, since there is much misinformation on the web..). With that said, EVERYONE can and should make their own choice of whatever diet or lifestyle they want to follow...

For anyone who is interested, here is a website that has some very interesting articles/short videos with credible resources, based on scientific, peer-reviewed studies: nutritionfacts.org

~

I would be very glad to support you in changing to a plant-based diet! My husband and I transitioned to this way of eating about 5 yrs ago and it has been a choice that has changed our lives in many ways. We are in our 60's, married in 2008, and motivated to do whatever we can to have a long and healthy life together.

My personal challenge has been to keep at a healthy weight since I have a life-long history of binge eating and have realized that there are certain foods I just can't eat, even on a plant-based diet. I became an expert in making oil-free, sugar-free baked goods. No can do.... I have to focus on a balanced amount of whole grains/starch such as brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, corn, etc. and not use flour products. For me, I can't stop at one muffin, one cookie or one piece of bread. MFP is helping me to stay very mindful of everything I eat and it is showing up on the scale and in my level of energy and well-being :-)

Thanks for posting this topic.....I'm so very happy to have found other folks committed to whole foods/plant-based nutrition on MFP!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You may want to post in some of the groups; Happy Herbivores or Team Vegan, if you're just looking for like-minded people to build a support network. These threads will usually end up more about debate (which is fine but not what everyone is looking for.)