Gym advice - Best routine ?

Options
Hello :)

I'm looking for a good, tried and tested work out routine that I can stick to in my local gym that's good for the female physique (if that makes a difference).

A long time ago (not that long but a few years) I got into dance and ended up going 4 nights a week and would also throw in extra classes before my dance class if I turned up early, so I'd do an hours kick boxing and then an hour of Jazz etc... my fitness level felt amazing.

I then moved and struggled to find a dance studio that wasn't either too intimidating or just not pushing me enough (I've been to lots and still looking)... but since I stopped around 3 years ago my fitness level has dropped dramatically and the weight has re joined my hips etc.

This has lead to me becoming the worlds most impatient person ever when it comes to exercise.

I want to get my fitness level back up, I have a gym in my apartment block and make minimal use of it because well quite frankly I have no idea what to do and when I do venture in there once every blue moon, unless I get on a running machine and start running like I'm in a sporting commercial or doing push ups like I'm some amazing erm (insert something here) then I basically give up.

So I wondered, does anyone have a routine they do in the gym that works ?
A routine that has results that I can keep track of, i.e. if you do these excises 4 days a week you'll notice 'stronger arms, weight loss, better fitness level'.

It sounds simple but I've tried various things and really don't see a difference at all which basically just makes me dislike the gym. I've tried those running apps where they build you up but I simply don't get anywhere with them, between it 'hurting and me really disliking running... I went over to the elliptical machine but don't really understand how that thing works, it feels like the machine is doing all the work ? Can you lose weight on an elliptical machine ? Is there a certain way to use it ?

Also, I've tried watching fitness videos online and noticed a lot of them have different days for different parts of the body like Leg Day, Arm Day... is this something that would be more beneficial ?

I'm so beyond frustrated I didn't keep my fitness level up from my dancing days but believe I can get it back, I just need a routine that works.

Oh and also I was debating going to the gym before writing this, but clearly I'm putting that off given how waffly this has become :)

Thanks to anyone who reads this and can give some advice, pointers or a general kick up the backside :)

Replies

• sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    what kind equipment you got at that gym?
    you could do a mix of cardio and strength - something as simple as bike-jog-core exercises-bike-strength-bike-core and stretch to finish it all off :)
  • NoVatheNinja
    NoVatheNinja Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend keeping up with kickboxing when you go back to the gym. If there is a heavy bag at the gym, box for about 30 min. This will burn a ton of calories (a lot more than running on a treadmill for 30 mins). I would also recommend compound movements for strength training in the beginning months of starting back out at the gym.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Best plan for you is strong lifts 5x5 or starting strength.

SL5x5 has a women only group on mfp that's bigger than the all inclusive.
  • NoVatheNinja
    NoVatheNinja Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I totally agree. I'm currently doing Stronglifts and have seen more results in 5 weeks than I have doing split routines for three months!
  • kegan5
    kegan5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    what kind equipment you got at that gym?
    you could do a mix of cardio and strength - something as simple as bike-jog-core exercises-bike-strength-bike-core and stretch to finish it all off :)

I'm unsure of the names but from what I recall there are running machines, elliptical, bicycle, there are benches which I've seen people do sit ups on (they don't have anything but a flat bench, no weights or change in angles).

There are also balls of all sizes which I've never seen anyone use. Lots of hand weights.

In the 'strength' section I'd need to take another look but believe there is a leg extension (unsure of names) and one where you sit and pull down weights.
    I would definitely recommend keeping up with kickboxing when you go back to the gym. If there is a heavy bag at the gym, box for about 30 min. This will burn a ton of calories (a lot more than running on a treadmill for 30 mins). I would also recommend compound movements for strength training in the beginning months of starting back out at the gym.

There's no heavy bag in my gym, I actually would love to get back into this but would prefer my fitness level to raise a little before throwing myself back into a class like that :/ or at least one that isn't going to make me feel inadequate in the first few weeks :)

I'm not sure what this means ? I had a look on Google and found this http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-workout-a-full-video-demonstration/ is this the same thing ?

Thank You :)