Bikini Bridge?

Options
Has anyone else heard about this thing called a bikini bridge? Apparently it's when a girl wears a bikini and is skinny enough so that when she lays down, the bikini forms a "bridge" between her hipbones. I'm seeing it all over twitter under #bikinibridge and Buzzfeed has an article on it too.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robynh18/12-perks-of-having-a-bikini-bridge-gogr

I can see this starting a lot of arguments about body image, and eating disorders etc.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ok ..
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yet another strange thing mainly controlled by bone structure NOT body fat...
  • __Angie__
    Options
    I've never heard of this before O.o how strange.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yet another strange thing mainly controlled by bone structure NOT body fat...

Yep! Well, body fat too (I can't imagine a person with a really high bf% having it) but for many women you can get as lean as you want and it still might not show, just like the thigh gap, due to bone structure etc This is one of the reasons why I hate it, it's unrealistic and just another shallow body ideal which is going to sadly become the trigger point behind many disordered eating habits.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It's the new thigh gap, although I've seen it before. It can be about being super skinny, but some can have it without being super skinny, and some who are will never have it. It's more about body structure than anything.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Surely it's more of a genetic/bone structure thing, like the thigh gap? Easier for some than others.

I have a 'bridge' as I don't put much weight on around my hip bones, and I found most of the photos quite unattractive because I'm so used to looking down at my own tummy and seeing the gross rounded bulge in between, haha. Don't really see the attraction.

edit: isn't it a 4chan thing? Like a new, but fake, thigh gap fad?
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    It's the new thigh gap, although I've seen it before. It can be about being super skinny, but some can have it without being super skinny, and some who are will never have it. It's more about body structure than anything.

I was just thinking it's probably the new thigh gap.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why can't the "new thigh gap" be a nicely muscled bicep?
  • mortuseon
    Options

That would require more work from the denizens of tumblr than simply skipping dinner.
  • JenMc14
    Options
    Because muscle is gross on girls. Didn't you know?
  • mortuseon
    Options
    1 post?

I definitely think it's a 4chan invention.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

it is depending on which type circles you run in. when i was that age (i'm assuming this is mainly for the teeny boppers) me and all my friends played sports and were jocks. our body "issues" were all centered around visible quads and triceps.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    never heard of it, but like the thigh gap, it can be very much related to bone structure, I used to have one and I wasn't healthy at all, but some of these people (and people i know) are healthy and have one, so yeah....
  • JenMc14
    Options
    I've actually seen it around before in meme talking about putting down the food, it has like different picture of thigh gap, collar bones, bony ribs, bikini bridge, etc. with such inspirational sayings as, "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". Blogilates.com actually did a Facebook post about it the other day. I don't think it's new at all, I'm sure it's been going around thinspo forever, but new year, new thing to obssess about, I guess. Need a new focus beyond the thigh gap.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options
    How is this a thing?

I wore bikinis in the 1960s. There has always been a bikini bridge.

Stop getting all emo about it.
  • nerakma
    nerakma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have never heard it given a name before, but it must be a bone structure thing, in part at least. In the summer, before I got back into running properly (ie before I lost any weight) I noticed I have this if I lie in a certain position- I remember thinking that if someone walked past the head end of my sun lounger and glanced down they might see s lot more than they were expecting! :blushing:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Because muscle is gross on girls. Didn't you know?

Yeah, it makes you look like a man...
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Oh for the love of pizza. This just makes it so people can see down my bikini bottoms.

Wtf.