Relationship with food 360

Options
*Those with eating disorders may find this triggering in some way*

Hi all, I'm starting to get a bit concerned about my relationship with food. I became overweight since I used food as a solution to every problem and a component in every occasion. Now that I'm becoming more mindful of my body and what I put into it, I'm finding that I have to be 100% perfect in what I'm eating and that I've now starting viewing food as the enemy.

There have been a few occasions where I've slipped up. And once I slipped up on something small, for whatever reason, on multiple occasions now, I've eaten half of the kitchen. And I'll admit, after binging so much, I needed to get it out, so went to the bathroom and chucked it all up.

It's around the third time I've done it now, and I'm worried that it might develop into that-word-beginning-with-B-the-I-would-rather-not-say.

Am I the only person that's had this mindset? If not, how did you overcome it?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You probably should see a professional.
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    go to your doc and see a nutritionist to help you set up a healthy plan. from personal exp. you don't want to go down that road. its hard to get out of and can be deadly.
  • AsparagusFinch
    AsparagusFinch Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Is professional help really required even if it's only occurred a handful of times? o.O
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Options
    "Is professional help really required even if it's only occurred a handful of times? o.O"

YES!!! I am bulimic and its not the food really that makes you vomit, its something more. .. . you need to go , this is not something you want to continue.
  • AsparagusFinch
    Options
    "Is professional help really required even if it's only occurred a handful of times? o.O"

YES!!! I am bulimic and its not the food really that makes you vomit, its something more. .. . you need to go , this is not something you want to continue.

Thanks guys…. I guess I'll be seeing someone about that then. Hope you're doing okay now Kathy :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Thanks guys…. I guess I'll be seeing someone about that then. Hope you're doing okay now Kathy :)

Definitely best to get in early before it develops further. You could try starting to keep a journal of your feelings/emotions surrounding the behaviour. This can help you figure out what is triggering the binges and then you can take it along with you to the therapy session.
  • AsparagusFinch
    Options

Definitely best to get in early before it develops further. You could try starting to keep a journal of your feelings/emotions surrounding the behaviour. This can help you figure out what is triggering the binges and then you can take it along with you to the therapy session.

Thanks a lot :) The journal's a great idea
  • heymrsun
    heymrsun Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do /not/ on the other hand think it's entirely necessary for you to seek help.

1) Doing so is very expensive and can be embarrassing... I wouldn't do this unless you have the resources. I saw a therapist through my University for a few months, and he helped me get out of a bad place (not food related). So I will admit it can help a great deal, but it simply is not an option for some people.

2) You are clearly taking the right step by admitting to your problem. You came to this forum for help and support. You are not alone, despite what others may be suggesting. I have personally had issues with binging late at night, and on a few very rare occasions have attempted to force myself to vomit. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. So many people deal with this /every night/. What has helped me get better is to meticulously track your food intake for the day; make your goals and be proud of yourself for doing so! Even so, I still binge a small amount, but when you're in that kitchen late at night, remind yourself of how good you did that day and remind yourself of the goals you wish to meet.

& I have read before that purging does not even get rid of half of the calories, it is /very bad/ for your health, and can lead to bigger mental and health problems down the road... But just remember, you're not alone, you're working hard for your goals, and you will achieve them. :)

Best of luck in your weight loss journey! Feel free to add me as a friend if you find yourself needing more support.

- Heather
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    *Those with eating disorders may find this triggering in some way*

Hi all, I'm starting to get a bit concerned about my relationship with food. I became overweight since I used food as a solution to every problem and a component in every occasion. Now that I'm becoming more mindful of my body and what I put into it, I'm finding that I have to be 100% perfect in what I'm eating and that I've now starting viewing food as the enemy.

There have been a few occasions where I've slipped up. And once I slipped up on something small, for whatever reason, on multiple occasions now, I've eaten half of the kitchen. And I'll admit, after binging so much, I needed to get it out, so went to the bathroom and chucked it all up.

It's around the third time I've done it now, and I'm worried that it might develop into that-word-beginning-with-B-the-I-would-rather-not-say.

Am I the only person that's had this mindset? If not, how did you overcome it?

Your not alone. My brush with the "B-word" happened when I became so frightened of gaining weight back. I have since corrected that behavior. But I still struggle with it. I'm not going to lie. Its hard to acknowledge emotional eating, since its a form of escapism. No, You don't need help from a professional. You clearly know what your problem is. That's all they are good for. That, and taking your money.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off?

It takes self-discipline, I'm not going to lie. Not everyone is ready -- meaning prepared -- to take this on. Its a big undertaking to change your LIFESTYLE, not just go on a "diet," which denotes a temporary state of being. This is for the long haul. If you don't see yourself doing this, then tough nuggies. Throwing up isn't going to fix the problem either. Its something I tell myself, every, gdamn day! I have to eat less than I burn and exercise.

As for your emotional issues, I can sympathize since I'm a food addict myself - something no one ever truly recovers from. But what I found worked for me, was the ketogenic diet. It removed all the things I liked to binge on. Keeps my blood sugar and insulant steady thought the day. I never have the feeling that I want ****ty foods. I eat lots of protein and fat. Basically no carbs though. That means one has to give up bread, ice cream, and other goodies. Now many people will say on here that's too "severe" or you don't "need" to do that, or they will feed bull**** about "starvation mode" without knowing what that actually means.

But for some of us, that's the ONLY way because I simply cannot control myself. I can't have 1 cookie and not be tortured by it. I sort of liken it to crack or booze in a way. Once you have that one drink, its hard to say no to another, etc. So you need to find your lifestyle that works for you. Think really hard about what your triggers are. I found that exercise helps me immensely.

Good luck and God speed.

*disclaimer: I'm not telling anyone to go on a ketogenic diet. But if your interested there is a great subreddit dedicated to this with some very helpful documentations and support here: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
  • randomtai
    Options
    I do /not on the other hand think it's entirely necessary for you to seek help.

1) Doing so is very expensive and can be embarrassing... I wouldn't do this unless you have the resources. I saw a therapist through my University for a few months, and he helped me get out of a bad place (not food related). So I will admit it can help a great deal, but it simply is not the option for some people.

2) You are clearly taking the right step and admitting to your problem. You came to this forum for help and support. You are not alone, despite what others may be hinting at. I have personally had issues with binging late at night, and on a few very rare occasions have attempted to force myself to vomit. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. So many people deal with this /every night/. What has helped me get better is to meticulously track your food intake for the day; make your goals and be proud of yourself for doing so! Even so, I still binge a small amount, but when you're in that kitchen late at night, remind yourself of how good you did that day and remind yourself of the goals you wish to meet.

& I've read before that purging does not even get rid of half of the calories, it is /very bad/ for your health, and can lead to bigger problems down the road... So just remember, you're not alone, you're working hard for your goals, and you will achieve them. :)

Best of luck in your weight loss journey! Feel free to add me as a friend if you find yourself needing more support.

- Heather

You should probably seek help as well. :flowerforyou:
  • heymrsun
    Options
    ^ And you should probably grow a heart, witch.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

this times a million ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

who is the witch? the person that recommends someone who admits to binging and throwing up food should seek help; or the person who says you don't need any help and it may be too expensive….?
  • heymrsun
    Options
    OP did not seem to like the idea of seeing a professional.

I'm not going to speak for her, but I know in my case I would prefer to handle it on my own. And if I were to make a board asking for help from my peers, I would much prefer someone to respond in a caring, and thoughtful manner rather than...

"You probably should see a professional."

>:(
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Oh lawwwd.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

I'm not going to speak for her, but I know in my case I would prefer to handle it on my own. And if I were to make a board asking for help from my peers, I would much prefer someone to respond in a caring, and thoughtful manner rather than...

You are not qualified to help her with her relationship with food. Really, nobody here is. Hence...

"You should probably see a professional."

It's not mean. It's not rude. It's probably what is necessary.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I agree with the journal as well as logging all of your food. Try to see trends between your urges and your diet and/or your feelings. Does a stressful day do it? A carby breakfast (I get really hungry if I don't have protein and/or fat in my first meal in particular)? Not enough sleep? Too big of a deficit leading to feeling deprived leading to binging? Alcohol consumption?

What helps to reduce or beat the urge? Try walking or other exercise, meditation, yoga, or reading/drawing/something more active than tv/internet that you like, and see if you can distract yourself.

Take notes and be mindful. If you do it again or if the urges do not fade (whether or not you give in to them), then seek help before it gets more ingrained.
  • ndj1979
    Options

anyone that purposely throws up food after "binging" has serious issues that only a professional can address.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    She probably *should* see a professional. It's not witchy or heartless to say that; it's a statement of fact. If I came on here saying that I had a toothache, someone would probably tell me to go to a dentist, and they'd be right.

And yes, I'm a recovering anorexic, the way alcoholics who haven't touched a drop in thirty years are recovering alcoholics. Eating disorders can be untangled by oneself -- I had to -- but man, do I wish I'd seen a professional.
  • randomtai
    Options

anyone that purposely throws up food after "binging" has serious issues that only a professional can address.

This *in as caring and thoughtful way possible.*