Grad students, how do you find time for exercise?

Im starting a grad program soon and was wondering, how many times in the week do you find time for exercise?

Replies

• Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    I am not a grad student, however I am a full time Nursing student and I also have a full time job and an occasional second job. I'm currently recovering from an injury so I haven't been able to work out lately, but usually I wake up very early in the morning (5am) to give myself at least an hour at the gym and from there I shower and go to class or I go for an hour after work at night. I generally workout 5 days a week with one rest day. It's not easy, and between studying and homework I don't sleep much (maybe 5-6 hours at most if I'm lucky) but it's not impossible fitting a workout into a busy schedule.

Good luck!
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Depending on how my schedule stacks, i use to go at 7:00am every morning, then it changed to 8:30pm at night, now it's 6pm at night, you just find a routine to work around what you're doing.

Once you get into your routine, it becomes like second nature, you won't really think twice about going to the gym after you've consistently done so for a month or two. More importantly ensure you have goals set, which plays a part in your discipline and also makes exercising more enjoyable to achieve something.

I'd say 3 days a week minimum if you want to achieve something through your exercising regime, 3 days just enough for you to still be able to achieve something great with your workouts as long as you're giving it your all. If you can do more than that, great!

All the best, hope you find something that fits and you can stick to it
  • I am a grad student who just finished my first semester, and with the exception of finals week, I managed to stick to my 5-6 workouts a week this past semester. Like others here I would wake up early to get to the gym (and use the school's gym for days I couldn't get up in time). It's hard of course to balance everything but once I realized how essential my continued workouts are for my mental health, focus and clarity, I had additional justification for sticking to it, even and especially when school was overwhelming. I found ways to make time - I make my breakfast/lunch, lay out gym clothes and pack my bag the night before to give a little more time in the mornings. Also, sometimes I use my 1-2 rest days on my busiest school days instead of the weekends. Hope this helps and don't worry you will find a way!
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Prioritize. This shouldn't even be an issue. No grad program is so grueling that setting aside an hour a day or three a hours a week would be so difficult. I know quite a few full-time grad students who run nearly every day. Some trained for anything from 5Ks to marathons while in school. There are many more who find plenty of time to go out and get wasted several times a week, or otherwise entertain themselves. I should know, I was one of them. Surely there is time to exercise (not that I did).

To say nothing of those who go to school part-time while holding full-time jobs. With kids. Now there is a challenge. Yet even some of those find a couple of hours a week to exercise.

Quite aside from your fitness goals, any study regime that would require so much time that exercise is impossible is recipe for a quick burnout. I don't know of any.

Prioritize.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    I wake up early and just do it. I also work full time. If it's important for you, you will find the time.
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    I'm not a grad student anymore, but I was. I kept it simple. If it was warm enough, i went running outside. When it wasn't, I did high intensity bodyweight intervals at home. Not having to commute to a gym made all the difference. Now. Did plenty of my classmates go the gym? Yes. Sure they did. Just like single mom's with 2 kids find time to train for marathons while working a full time job. But just because its possible, doesn't mean you will. For me, keeping it simple was the approach that kept me consistent. I worked out, consistently, throughout grad school. (It wasn't till I graduated that I stopped! :grumble: )

And to tack on some unsolicited advice--graduate school can make you feel like you have to eat any "free food" on offer. Because you start to think of yourself as a starving graduate student--even though I have never met a real starving graduate student. I think they only exist in fictional novels. It took me a semester to realize that free food isn't free. Pizza, cookies, muffins, leftover over-stuffed sandwiches made at the local deli with enough processed meat and mayo to feed a family of four--all that food isn't free--it costs plenty.
  • futurefitdvm2017
    futurefitdvm2017 Posts: 11 Member
    I just finished my first semester in veterinary school. Let me tell you, it's not easy but you just have to find a way to make time for yourself. I'm in class 8-5 Monday through Friday and come home and study until bed time. I make it to the gym at least 5 days a week by getting there at 6am. If it's important to you then you'll find a way to make it work. Plus, my university makes you pay the gym fee and you can't opt out of it so I drag my butt there just to get my money's worth! Haha
  • jclark21
    jclark21 Posts: 23 Member
    I think recognizing your needs for exercise just like you need time to study, sleep or do other school things. I'm starting my last semester of grad school now, and I was slacking off on fitness/sleep/healthy eating for the past couple semesters. It's taken a big toll on my mental and physical health, especially with school, internship, work and a 3 hour commute between home and school/internship. But when I can I use workout videos from the library, and I go to a cheap gym that's open 24/7, and I try to take walks between classes/internship, especially if I'm stressed. Even a walk to get some coffee or water is better than nothing, especially when you're writing papers or reading for hours straight. Also, if you do any travel to campus, try to fit in public transit or park a little further away (in a well lit parking area) to fit in some exercise. Everyone has their own issues with grad school that makes it tough to balance their schedule, so don't feel like your needs are any less important than others. You just adapt an exercise schedule as best you can, and keep adjusting.
  • kelag297
    kelag297 Posts: 103 Member
    I am an undergrad and I work, and the only time I can fit in my workout or have to energy to workout is in the morning before I go to class or work. It's hard sometimes, but if you want it bad enough you'll make the time to exercise!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    I wake up at 4:30 :sick: Prepping meals in advance helps save a lot of time in the day too - pack lunches the night before, and fill your freezer with dinners you can just thaw and reheat on busy nights. You just have to make it a priority.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    i am 53 yrs old, extremely loaded with community things going on , work, and am starting to get yet another college degree in a few weeks. fun part is i get to use the sports complex at the college for free. i will have a duffle bag with a change of clothes ,towel and my shampoos and soaps to take a shower there and go directly to class or directly to the sports complex after class. when i went for my bachelor degree i always found time to work out . it actually helped me think better and i was awake more
  • Hi!

I am a grad student who is currently writing their masters thesis before moving on to a PhD. A few things that I found really helpful were:

Creating a monthly schedule with all of my workouts added. This way it was a part of my daily routine and missing it would be like missing office hours or a class.

Going to the gym with another student - I made friends with several people in my department who wanted to get in shape and had similar schedules to my own.

As many people have already said going to the gym on the morning is really helpful. There have been many days where the stress has piled on and by evening time I decide to skip the gym to work late or relax.

The biggest thing that helped me was understanding that part of being a successful student means being able to care for yourself properly while still going to school. If I don't work out I don't feel as good which usually translates into a decrease in productivity or accuracy in my school work.

It is by no means an exact science but support and organization can go a long toward making the commitment easier. I know I am still trying to discover ways to be more committed :P

Anyways I hope this helps and congratulations on beginning graduate school!!

Best,
    Ali
  • Hi, I am a grad student who just submitted my PhD thesis.

There are two gyms in the campus. I usually dropped by the gym during lunch break. Alternating between Strength training (40-45min) and Cardio (20-min HIIT) each day and rest on Sunday. If I don't have time during lunch break, I will do it after office hour or while my experiments are running.

Find a gym buddy will help motivating you with your workout routine.

I only started my workout routine in my last 3 semesters in my grad program. I actually regretted that I did not start it earlier because I find regular workout routine actually helps me relieve those stresses from research, makes me happier and less depressed.

All the best for your grad studies. When you feel stressful about your grad studies, or when you are in doubt, just hit the gym and do some workouts. It will refresh your mind and your body. Good luck.:wink:
  • AsparagusFinch
    AsparagusFinch Posts: 167 Member
    I'm also a grad student, in my first year of my PhD….. and exercise is something I'm putting off for a little while longer! There's time for it, and it's certainly necessary for both physical and mental well-being, it's often just a case of motivation (something I don't have much of :P).
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Full time student in a doctorate nurse practitioner program. Full-time job as a nurse supervisor. Full-time mom.

I work out at least 3 x 60-90 minutes in the gym every week, 25 minutes of yoga 3 times a week before my 12-hour shifts, and sometimes a run or two if I can fit it in.

You make it a priority and schedule it into your week. You stay on track and focus on what's in front of you at the time and give it 100%, then you move on to the next thing.