Skinny fat guy wanting abs

Options
Hello

I have recently joined MFP and started my diet+exercise last week. I'm 5.8" and weigh 140 pounds. My goal is to get abs by reducing my BF to 7-8%. From my rough calculations i'm around 15-18% and need to lose around 10-12 pounds of fat. I'm Asian by the way so my skinny fat in my opinion looks different to lets say "western" skinny fat. My arms are really skinny with barely any muscle (benching only 90 pounds) and a reasonable belly.

I'm at the stage where I want to lose the belly fat and have been eating around 1300-1500 calories which is below my recommended 1900 calories. I exercise 4 - 5 times a week doing mostly strength exercises and ab workouts. My diet consists mostly of eggs, sweet potatoes, almonds, chicken breast, vegetables, yoghurt and protein shake. I drink about 8-12 glasses of water a day

Is my calorie deficit too high?? I don't really know what to do because lots of articles and videos seem to contradict each other.

Also should i lose the fat first then gain muscle or lose the fat while maintaining the muscle?

Remember i want to lose the belly fat ASAP. I've seen people do it in a month or two by just eating sweet potatoes and protein shakes.

Replies

• tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You can't lose fat to show off muscles if you don't have any muslces to show off!! EAT, lift heavy, Sleep and eat some more, then in 3-6 months, cut down. Calories are about right for loss, if that is your TDEE if you just want to cut.
  • kimboy11
    Options
    You can't lose fat to show off muscles if you don't have any muslces to show off!! EAT, lift heavy, Sleep and eat some more, then in 3-6 months, cut down. Calories are about right for loss, if that is your TDEE if you just want to cut.

i'm only doing strength exercises to increase my metabolism up not to gain muscle. I work more on my abs and taking lots of protein. I guess i'm thinking it the wrong way then?
  • tinakowalik
    tinakowalik Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've always heard, and have done this myself, but you should lose the fat and gain the muscle at same time. No expert here, but I've done mostly Jillian workouts, and they are always the same, cardio and strength training.
  • NatsumeAki
    Options
    Try some HIIT routines, bro
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i think your plan will work, all you need is time
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    There isn't much point doing lots of different ab exercises, with lots of different sets, and lots of different reps, especially if they are only/mainly bodyweight exercises. For example, if you wanted a bigger chest you would do three sets of eight reps, heavy benchpress rather than 500 press ups.
    I would say eat more calories, perhaps around maintenance, or around a 250 calorie deficit. If you have less than six months of real lifting then you can probably put on a small amount of muscle while losing a small amount of fat at the same time.
  • kimboy11
    Options
    Ok thanks for everyones input