Is it normal to be hungry when cutting calories?

Options
I am 5'7" and I weigh 208lbs. Mfp has me set for 1440 calories losing 1.5lbs a week. I eat lots of protein and whole grains and veggies, but I find I am still a little bit hungry. I have only been using mfp for 2 weeks and was wondering if my stomach just has to get used to a little less food. Will my stomach adjust to make my hunger go away in a few weeks?

Replies

• rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think you will start to get used to it - also it helps to work out and and have an extra snack for those calories :) Also I think a lot of it is mental as well as physically becoming less hungry. The more you're in the habit of eating healthy the less you'll crave unhealthy foods. Distract yourself with hobbies and don't look at food pictures haha (that's what gets me...)

:)
  • SMFRN
    SMFRN Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It took about 2-3 weeks before I got use to eating that low. I drank a lot of water (still do) to help fill that void.it does get better, I promise.
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Off to a good start. Also, eat foods that are high in fiber, which is filling. And as mentioned… lots of water.
  • lmccull1982
    Options
    I'm 160lb, 5'6' and MFP set my calories at just above 1200 to lose 1.5 lb/week. I find it hard to meet that goal, even with exercise...and I am ALWAYS hungry. I think I might try for 1/2 lb to 1 lb per week instead.

Also, sometimes the thirst impulse is mistaken for hunger, so staying hydrated is important.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat more. 1 lb a week is totally appropriate.