Personal trainer pricing....

Options
what is the average cost or a good cost for a personal trainer? hourly rate or monthly rate? how many times a week for it to be effective?? Going to get a session with trainer at my gym. Just getting ideas and ballpark figures. Thanks!!!

Replies

• edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Some ****ty trainers ask for higher price from 'certificates' they hold.

A good trainer should be one who is attentive to your needs and goals.

Sit down with a trainer, tell him/her your goals and ask how he/she would approach it.

It's about team work and communiction.

You shouldn't need a trainer more than 1-2 times/week. You learn the 'basics' from the trainer such as healthy eating/forms/workouts and you have to incorporate them into your workouts the other 3-4 days of the week.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I good trainer will be properly certified. You'll see some clues when you meet with them. Are they asking good questions to get your history and fully understand your objectives? Is it someone you feel good working with? Get five references and check them.

A trainer can cost from $25 to $100 per session depending on where you're from and how "in demand" they are. Most trainers give discounts if you sign on for a bundle of sessions, allowing you to get your per session costs down. Early on, you may work with the trainer two to three times per week. You should begin learning the form and need them less and less (but may choose to keep them engaged for spotting and motivation).
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer who was a well known UFC fighter with a decade or more of experience in fitness + many nutritional and lifting certificates(along with jujitsu brown belt etc); however....

He was a horrible trainer.

Only cared about himself, always talked about himself and his goals, and just kept pushing me to the 'extreme'.... The way he trains.

Didn't even teach proper warmups and stretches or proper nutrition and rest period required after workout sessions.

1 hour session, then he was done. You were not his 'client' anymore.

Thought long breaks were for ' *kitten*'(excuse my language) and light weights were for 'women'.

Long story short, ended up getting injured and left the gym and trainer.

So don't be fooled just because the trainer looks jacked or fit and have a lot of experience under his/her belt. Communicate and have a trial session first before committing.
  • madds2
    madds2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have had a personal trainer since the beginning of December and I will be with him till the end of June to reach my goal. It is not cheap. I see him 2 times a week and he pushed me in a good way which is what I needed. I had the money in my savings account luckily and it will be little over $100.00 a week. If I had gone with him I doubt that I would've had the motivation and knowledge to do it myself. I think even when I am done I will try to see him once a week just to keep me motivated and make sure I'm doing the workouts right.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your posts. Great info