Cooking all at once?

Options
I am wondering if anyone cooks their meals all at one time... for example on Sundays. I am interested in at least cooking my breakfasts in advance because I often do not have time in the mornings. That is when I end up eating fast-food or not eating breakfast at all.

Does anyone have any advice or recipes? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• aireeul
    aireeul Posts: 46
    Options
    you could make breakfast sandwiches for the week and just freeze them. i've never made these but i have frozen precooked meals before.

http://www.homebeccanomics.com/2011/09/14/make-ahead-and-freeze-breakfast-sandwiches/
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I am short on time, I make smoothies for breakfast. I use two different fruits, half cup berries and one banana, about 6-8 ice cubes, a quarter cup quaker oatmeal, and half cup milk. I also try to keep cheese and/or yogurt on hand for the protein.
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes. On weeks I know I'll be busy with work/class, I will boil eggs on Sunday to keep for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday breakfast. On Wednesday I will boil more to eat Thursday and Friday. I sometimes chop them up and eat them with salsa and cheese. Sometimes eat them plain with some pepper or hot sauce and a piece of fruit. Sometimes I slice them and add them to toast with deli meat. Doing this mixes it up, but the main thing is prepped ahead of time.
    I know a lot of people make oatmeal squares or whole wheat muffins for the week. I haven't done this, but it sounds convenient. Also, if you have time at night, overnight oats are delicious. You prep them the night before and have them when you wake up. Google some recipes, because there are literally TONS.
    I don't have any suggestions for meal prepping lunches and dinners, because I don't unless the night before counts. I'm sure a lot of people do though!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I had a friend recommend this site, but I haven't tried it yet... http://onceamonthmeals.com/
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I love Van's Power Grain Frozen Waffles for breakfast. With one TB of peanut butter. Good spread of nutrients and keeps me full. i toss them in the toaster when I'm getting ready to leave and then munch on the way to work. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love Van's Power Grain Frozen Waffles for breakfast. With one TB of peanut butter. Good spread of nutrients and keeps me full. i toss them in the toaster when I'm getting ready to leave and then munch on the way to work. :)

I love Van's waffles. If you can afford the calories they're delicious with a sliced banana and some honey along with the peanut butter.
  • jessIcalynn63
    jessIcalynn63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! : )
  • S1inky
    S1inky Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am thinking cooked eggs, home cooked or deli meat and yogurts. You could bag them before hand if you are that pushed for time. Celery, cucumber sticks. Have you thought of cooking some home made soup in advance. Hmm or some of those low cal cup of soups. Be careful of just fresh cherries in the morning - they can make you chuck up. These days we cook bacon in the microwave and fry eggs in ceramic non stick pans. All quick - could be stored for later use.
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if anyone cooks their meals all at one time... for example on Sundays. I am interested in at least cooking my breakfasts in advance because I often do not have time in the mornings. That is when I end up eating fast-food or not eating breakfast at all.

Does anyone have any advice or recipes? Thank you in advance!

Cooking in advance for breakfast is super easy. Just cook a couple of cups of dry quinoa. Each morning measure out 1/2C cooked quinoa, 1/4 C fruit of choice and 1/4 C dairy or nondairy beverage of choice, mix it up and eat it warm or cold.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I make homemade granola (SUPER easy). I make breakfast cookies or muffins and keep them in the freezer (30 second in the microwave) I'll also boil a dozen eggs at a time and keep them in the fridge. My son makes omelettes in the microwave, with 2 eggs only takes 90 seconds. Add a biscuit or tortilla if you need some carbs.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    When I'm cooking dinner, I make a double recipe. Then the leftovers are either lunch for a few days, or frozen for a different week. I don't have the space or patience to do once a month cooking, or other such nonsense.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Also google OAMC and there was a thread on mfp about six months ago with some awesome advice. You may find it using the search function on mfp.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals for the week ahead on a Thursday or Friday based on what's on sale that week and what I'm in the mood for. Packs of chicken breasts were buy one get one free this week, so I'll bake or grill some and use the rest in a curry with vegetables and chickpeas. I'm also going to make a big batch of spaghetti sauce. I'll eat some of it this week and freeze the rest for a week when I'm too busy to cook.

I do most if not all of my cooking for the week on Sunday afternoons. It can be a little time consuming, but it guarantees I'll have healthy meals for the week. Sometimes I only cook two things on the weekend and cook a third meal on Wednesdays.

Breakfasts are the one thing I don't usually prepare ahead of time. Rolled oats only take two minutes in the microwave, and I can cook an egg for a sandwich in less than five minutes. If you're really crunched for time, you could take some time on the weekend to make a batch of breakfast burritos or breakfast cookies.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I do this for my work lunches. I will make a big batch of whatever in a crockpot or make a casserole. Dump it into containers and I'm good to go. Right now I have chicken cooking to shred later. I can bake a couple of servings of enchiladas, have some taco days, make a quesadilla, etc. Chicken + cheese + sauce + tortillas = awesome!