exercising after eating--is it really bad for you?

Options
Hi.
Lately, every time I decide to work out it's right after dinner.
What are the disadvantages/reasons for not working out after eating? And how long should I wait after eating to workout?
Thanks!

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Hi again. :flowerforyou:
    The definitive answer to this one is, "Do what works for you."

I've just started Krav Maga training... The instructors recommended eating about two hours before class. In my own experience, I've found that 1-2 hours is a good wait before doing anything one would consider "cardio" and I don't really need to wait at all before strength training.

For me, exercising fasted often leads to exertion headaches, while exercising on a full stomach can lead to nausea, cramps, or sluggishness. YMMV though. It seems to be a personal thing. Bodybuilders will also discuss meal timing in relation to strength workouts; from what I've read, there are slight advantages to bracketing a workout with protein-rich food. At a beginning (or starting over) level, though, the difference may be so slight that it's not worth the complication.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's not 'bad' for you but it can give you stomach cramps and nausea. It's better if you can let your food settle a little- particularly if it's high intensity exercise.

However, if you try it and feel fine- then go for it.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    As to not upset your tummy you might want to wait 30min before doing strength and 1hr before strenuous cardio. but other than that you should be fine. And even then its personal preference, some people cramp up easier than others.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not bad, but it might upset your stomach or give you cramps. I know a guy who practically vomits every time he works out because it's so poorly timed. But I've been able to workout within 20 minutes of eating, depending on what I've eaten. If it works for you, do it.