Digital Food Scale

Options
I am thinking about getting a food scale, anybody got any suggestions on which is the best...

Replies

• mimipremo1
    Options
    I'm looking for one myself. Hopefully someone responds!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Anything that does grams and ounces and has the tare features should be good. Doesn't need to be expensive.
  • KNK1988
    KNK1988 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cuisinart, Silver, digital. Love it, use it all the time.
  • mssag
    mssag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I ordered an Ozeri from Amazon. It was pretty inexpensive (less than 12-15 bucks, I thinks) but I've been using it for a few years. Works well and does everything I need it to (tares, grams/ounces/lb/ml).
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I ordered an Ozeri from Amazon. It was pretty inexpensive (less than 12-15 bucks, I thinks) but I've been using it for a few years. Works well and does everything I need it to (tares, grams/ounces/lb/ml).

bingo
  • jaclynkay92
    jaclynkay92 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Look On Ebay :)
  • mymuffin88
    mymuffin88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Escali, Ozeri, EatSmart, Salter, Finesseur -- all great! And all are digital.

Good to have one. I don't eat a lot of pre-packaged foods, but if you weigh, say one cookie or whatever, most times the calories on the package are mislabeled and that cookie has more calories! Easy to calculate if weighed though. Also, some foods, like pizza, are not as scary, after you weigh the slice and calculate the calories per ounce, and often have fewer calories than one would expect.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have an Oxo 5 lb model and love it.

When you buy one, make sure it has a tare / zero feature. They are pretty much the same otherwise .. oz and grams.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Anything that does grams and ounces and has the tare features should be good. Doesn't need to be expensive.

this
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I got the Smart Weigh one with the bowl. I originally got it for soap making. But I'm going on a little over a year of using it and it's held up fine. I think it cost me about $10 when I got it.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I recently dusted mine off and started using it again..it has kg, g, lb, and oz with the tare feature. It's an Oneida...bought at Walmart a year ago. I think it was less that $15.

ETA: mine also has a bowl that can be flipped over and used as a cover.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I bought the Cuisinart KML-KO3B PrecisionChef™ Digital Kitchen Scale. I had had a Salter one for two years before it, but the button died and I couldn't get it to turn on despite tinkering.

I bought the more expensive Cuisinart on the second go-round because it is more exact and ESPECIALLY because I really like the bowl attached to it, which can be flipped to cover it up when it lives on the counter. (You WANT it to live on the counter so you use it all the time.) The bowl/cover keeps things off it, which destroys the mechanism. It also allows you to measure loose things without a separate bowl.

In addition to measuring lots of small things for eating, I also use it for pounds of flour when I bake bread. Works fine for that too.

I've been very happy with it.
  • goneforawhile
    goneforawhile Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I didn't order a crappy one myself... I just ordered the one with the most/best reviews on Amazon...
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Picked one up from Walmart the other day. ~$25 I think: http://www.taylorusa.com/kitchen/food-scales/biggest-loser-glass-digital-kitchen-scale.html

Love it so far. I don't plan on being obsessive about it but rather, use it initially to get a better idea of the weight of things that are difficult to eyeball (e.g., bread). Otherwise it looks like my estimates were pretty close to the mark.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have an EatSmart one I got from Amazon for like $20, I believe. My first one was a dud and I contacted the manufacturer via email, on a Sunday, because it had "gone through" 2 sets of batteries in about a week! The president's VP contacted me back within 2 hours and I had a brand new one in the mail by the following Wednesday, which has been in consistent use for most of a year now with no issues anymore (and still on the first set of batteries lol). For the customer service alone, if anything ever happens to this one I will buy another of the same brand without hesitation.
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    Great reviews. What was your biggest lesson in using a scale? Did you see progress after using it as oppose to just guessing your portions?
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Not sure where you live but they sell them here in the US in stores like Target, Walmart etc. Similar ones like the ones thar are being described and similar prices as well. But you Do Need One ! :)..