Tell Me the Benefits of Drinking Water

Options
I struggle with drinking water. I haven't a clue why it is so hard for me. I am open to eating more vegetables, exercising and reducing sugar intake but so so struggle with my water intake. Is anyone else like this? I would really like to hear about the benefits I will receive if I truly follow through with at least 8 glasses of water a day. My Mother is a big water drinker...even has a chart next to the sink to make sure she gets her 8 in daily. I would love suggestions on how to make it seem less onerous. I fear that I will be in and out of the bathroom all day at work.

Replies

• tena_01
    Options
    Water helps hydrate your body! We are over 70% H2O, ya know?! If you are having trouble drinking water, I suggest getting those "crystal light" packages...they have zero cal and zero sugar and it adds flavor to your water. It's like drinking a lemonade or fruit punch, but not cause it's really just water :) Good luck!!
  • takethepieces
    Options
    I hate water - it makes me feel sick to drink it.

I keep a glass by the sink and I drink 2 glasses first thing, lunch time, tea time and before bed (roughly) so I can space them out and make sure I get them in. It's the only way I can do it. I'm not sure about the benefits - which is why I came to read this! I have noticed some extra weight loss the last couple of weeks, which may be due to water but mainly I do it because my skin is a lot clearer for it. I do find I'm up and down to the bathroom all day, but the stairs are probably helping with the exercise!
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree on the crystal lite. I've never been a water drinker, but that sure helps. I also try to keep a full glass within arm's length, so that I instinctively keep reaching for it.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You can also try drinking green tea.. that is what I do for about half my water intake daily.
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    you probably will be in and out of the bathroom all day until your body gets used to it. but i can honestly say, if i didn't drink my water my body would hang onto any and all fat it was able to.

I like to eat soup and other high sodium stuff (lunch meats in my sandwiches). I drink water to help rehydrate my body & get rid of the water retention.

i hate water though. I wouldn't be able to drink it all w/o adding super diluted crystal lite.
    have you tried that?
  • Thooper
    Options
    I had a hard time with drinking water too at first but then I began to notice how sluggish I felt if I didn't drink my recommended intake of water - I now drink well beyond 8 cups a water a day! You can also eat water-rich foods (good way to trick your body so it doesn't know its actually consuming water LOL) Here's a link on that topic: http://www.ehow.com/list_5910953_list-water_rich-foods.html

Good luck on your journey!
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I got a 16oz tumbler with a built-in straw. For some reason that helps me drink a lot more water at work. Definitely get some crystal lite packets to make it seem like you're drinking lemonade! Also, sparkling waters are a great alternative, just try to get the ones that are naturally flavored vs. the ones flavored with aspartame.

Water will help flush out any toxicity in your body as well as extra sodium. Water is also essential to organ function. You may find that you have more energy and feel lighter if you drink the recommended amount of water per day. Your skin will be more hydrated and glowy! rWater has also been found to speed up your metabolism, so there's a HUGE bonus!

Tumber: http://www.target.com/Aladdin-Aqua-Go-Tumbler-16oz/dp/B003NYSPJ8/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&searchView=list&keywords=tumbler&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-19&qid=1289579226&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Aladdin Aqua -Go Tumbler 16oz&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=90&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Non scientific perks:

Great at quenching thirst after working out. About the only time I can chug water.

Keeps my face clear, unbelievably clear.... which is part of the reason I'm trying to get back to drinking my water. :grumble: Like you, I struggle with it.

(taking a gulp right now to down the stuff today)

Makes me pee often. More trips to the potty = less time at my desk on my rump = more walking. WIN-WIN-WIN! :laugh:

Actually hydrates the skin. I use less lotion, NO LIE.

Helps fill up my tummy. I try to drink water before meals.... um, that's a lie but I use to do this!! ... like a quick 8oz glass 30 minutes before a meal and it helps to reduce the amount of food I'd eat.

I use it as 'permission' to eat sometimes. Say I'm hungry. I'll make a deal with myself -- sure you can have something to eat but only if you drink 8oz or 16oz of water first and then wait 5 minutes. Sometimes it helps me forget my hunger.

(Actually most Americans experience 'hunger' when they are in truth dehydrated. Drinking water can alleviate that 'hunger'. Same goes for headaches too. Often it's not the medicine you take but the fluid you drink when taking medicine.... although I'm a little more suspect on that fact.)

It saves you $$$ when you drink water at restaurants!!!

:smile: How are those for reasons to drink water that might actually motivate you? :tongue:
  • blel0906
    Options
    I struggle with the water too, would much rather have a diet coke. Some personal benefits I've had, past experience..I once lost 12 lbs just by switching my soda for water (this was years ago and I drank a ton of it). Your skin will be nicer, I don't tend to be prone to break outs I was blessed with good skin but I do notice a difference in my skin when I am drinking water.

So far 15 days no soda, switched completely to water It really does fill you up, took a few days but by the 2nd week I noticed that the water helped with the hunger pangs, I've even felt full! Don't feel as bloated and my face is a little less puffy.

Some things you can do to make water tastier: Add lemon, crystal light (I'm personally trying to avoid the artificial sweetener's but these can add some taste to your water)

If you prefer fizzy...drink carbonated water...haven't tried it but a suggestion was to add a splash of juice to it to give it flavor.

Haven't been on my water kick very long this time around but in the past I also noticed my TOM went a little smoother and didn't last quite as long.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have that same cup and I fill it a minimum of 4 times a day at work.

The first week I was peeing every hour on the hour it was horrible.

Now I can go 2+ hours but it will get better and better.

Tons of benefits of drinking water....you lose weight every time you go to the bathroom so look at it that way! :laugh:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    A lot of water haters here, weird. I prefer water over other drinks actually, as long as it’s cold its great. I drink 10-15 glasses daily. My body is pretty used to it now so I don't go to the washroom an excessive amount but I don't see why that’s such an annoyance anyway. If you work at a desk you are supposd to give your eyes a break from the computer screen at least once an hour and I don’t go to the washroom that often, maybe every 2-3h.

Wear more dresses to work then if you don't like tying your pants up multiple times a day, lol! ;)

The reason why water is necessary is b/c proper hydration is required to keep your kidneys functioning. If you aren’t getting enough water your kidneys stop so your liver moves in to do their job. The liver’s job is to metabolize fat and so if its busy doing the kidneys job, there is little to no time to metabolize fat hence it stays on your body.
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    Speeds up metabolism, makes you feel full, healthier for your body. Sometimes you think you are hungry but you are really thirsty. I would rather drink water than exercise. Much easier. :laugh:
  • mamayoga
    Options
    I like to drink hot or warm water, instead of cold. Cold water makes me feel sort of sick, too. But hot or warm water, makes me feel good and seems easier to drink.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I would rather drink water than exercise. Much easier. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Love it
  • noturninback
    noturninback Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    lol! "losing weight every time I go to the bathroom"! i luv that! maybe that will help me to chug the H20!! :happy:
    Crystal Light does help! Also, I bought some sugar free Hawaiin Punch flavored packets a couple of months ago, mixed in 20 oz. bottle of water, froze it part way & really liked it that way....
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I like to drink hot or warm water, instead of cold. Cold water makes me feel sort of sick, too. But hot or warm water, makes me feel good and seems easier to drink.

I like mine room temperature or slightly cooler.
    I don't like ice water except in the heat of summer.
    My teeth and palate are sensitive to cold.
    It slows me down to drink ice water.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yes the first few days you are drinking your recommended amounts of water, you will be in the bathroom a bit more than usual. But your body does adjust to the additional water intake and you won't run to the bathroom as much.

Your body needs the water to function properly. If you don't drink your recommended water you body will retain the water it has to try to function with what you have. So you get water retention. Also you need the water for your organs to function properly. They work harder when you are even slightly dehydraded. Your skin is more clear and not as dry (especially in the winter). So there are a few perks of the water.

I drink some crystal light, but I only like certain ones. I did find that I LOVE propel flavored water. It doesn't have artifical sweetners as best I can tell and it tastes awesome. I drink about 4 16 oz bottles a day and I don't struggle w/ my water drinking these. .

Some people will drink a small 6 oz glass several times a day so it doesn't seem like a big challenge. I have a friend that does that and she says it works for her. I couldn't do that. I would lose track.. LOL.

Good luck.
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few friends who struggle with their water intake, so I completely understand where you're coming from. I, on the other hand, am a water drinker.

Try putting a slice of lime or lemon in there. Those Crystal Lite packets will also help you with your intake. Green tea is also a good source. However, you want to make sure that you are drinking some plain water because it flushes out your kidneys. When there are things added to the water, it makes your kidneys actually process the liquid. When there's nothing in it, just plain water, it actually just goes right through them and flushes out toxins and the like. I have a friend who only drank diet Pepsi for years and her doctor told her, at 23, that if she didn't start drinking at least 8 servings of water a day, she was going to be on dialysis within the next 5 years (this was about 5 years ago and she has since upped her intake and doesn't run such a high risk). That's really scary when you think about it.

Another benefit is it helps lubricate your joints. I have a bad ankle that I have injured severely several times over the years and have developed scar tissue and arthritis. I find that when I drink more water, the pain isn't as bad as when I don't drink any. It will also help with headaches. I get TONS of headaches, pretty much one a day, and I found that when I am properly hydrated, they aren't as severe.

Hope this helps.
  • blel0906
    Options
    I almost forgot...One more personal benifit I am having...I was having some personal issues...Sneezing, laughing, coughing (get the drift) Water has helped this problem go figure I can now sneeze without crossing my legs and praying I don't pee all over myself.:laugh:
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I struggle with drinking water. I haven't a clue why it is so hard for me. I am open to eating more vegetables, exercising and reducing sugar intake but so so struggle with my water intake. Is anyone else like this? I would really like to hear about the benefits I will receive if I truly follow through with at least 8 glasses of water a day. My Mother is a big water drinker...even has a chart next to the sink to make sure she gets her 8 in daily. I would love suggestions on how to make it seem less onerous. I fear that I will be in and out of the bathroom all day at work.

I have seen some evidence that even modest dehydration can impact alertness, ability to concentrate and possibly inceases ratings for tiredness and headache. But if you are exercising then even modest dehydration can impair cardiovascular and temperature regulation as well as performence capacity. How much water you drink can depend on many factors. But a general rule is stay hydrated during your exercise. Meaning take in plenty of fluids at this time. And when you are thirsty during the day then have a glass of water. You don't need to live and die by a specific number of glasses of water per day. That can't account for other variables. Like your amount of and type of physical activites. Is it hot, humid ect..? These factors can require adjustments in total fluid intake. I personally under my normal circumstances and daily routine consume alot of water when I exercise and then have a large glass of water with each meal..This prevents me from having to go out of my way to drink down extra fluids every other hour.