Supplements for PCOS versus birth control

Options
What supplements are you ladies taking to control PCOS versus birth control? I dont want to take the pill and my DR. seems to think this is the only thing that will help balance my hormones! Help... I"m looking for things that your taking and if it is working!

Thanks!

all my love and support

Danielle

Replies

• mattie733
    mattie733 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm not sure about the hormones but my doctor put me on merformin. I also take multi vitamin and B complex..
  • danielleduplantis
    Options
    did metformin make you gain weight? I dont want to be on medicine i prefer something natural
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was on Metformin in 2005, lost a lot of weight with it. Unfortunately, put a lot back on. I tried it again this past November and my body could not handle it. I suffered a lot of GI problems. Always sick from it. It's worth a try. You just have to be very careful what you eat while taking it. As for natural supplements, I have personally never tried any. Maybe try googling "Natural remedies for treating PCOS." Hope that helps!
  • danielleduplantis
    Options
    Thanks Nicksmommy224 .... good to know only thing that keeps coming up is Vitex. My concern is my body is making to many male hormones and im just curious if vitex will block them and blance me out .
  • LeeM86
    LeeM86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have read (and I'm trying it myself) very good reviews about Peppermint tea. Studies say that it helps women to control the level of their hormones. Google it. I'm not sure if it's 100% true, but I have done a lot of research and ... well, what do we lost trying? It's only peppermint tea, it can't be bad for you.

:)
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I found this....I hope that it helps!!

Herbs to consider include:

•Chaste tree (Vitex Agnus castus) is one of the most important herbs for PCOS because it helps stimulate and normalise the function of the pituitary gland, which controls the release of luteinising hormone (LH). Chaste tree has been successfully trialled in the treatment of PCOS as well as infertility.

•Adrenal tonics such as Rehmannia, Rhodiola, Siberian Ginseng and Withania support the adrenal stress response and help the adrenal glands return to a state of balance.

•Peony is another valuable herb as it positively influences low progesterone, reduces elevated androgens (testosterone) and modulates oestrogen and prolactin.

•Licorice, especially combined with peony, helps regulate hormones, reduce androgen levels and improve the LH to FSH ratio.

•Maca is an adaptogenic herb known to stimulate the hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal glands to support and balance hormones such as FSH, LH, oestrogen and progesterone. It is indicated for symptoms such as hirsutism, acne, irregular menstrual cycles and even insulin resistance.

•Gymnema is helpful in reducing carbohydrate and sugar cravings.

•Tribulus helps restore menstrual regularity and regulate ovulation.

•Blue Cohosh acts as a uterine and ovarian tonic and a pelvic anti-inflammatory.

•Saw Palmetto, a traditional male reproductive herb used to control excess testosterone, offers promising results for hirsuitism.

•Milk thistle, rosemary, Bupleurum and Schizandra are excellent liver herbs, aiding in the removal of excess oestrogen.
    Recommendations of natural treatments for PCOS including herbs are found in detail in The Natural PCOS Diet.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Love to see some replies on this. I am on the pill but have tried several different brands...so if anyone can avoid the pill thats wonderful. :P
  • afl0405
    afl0405 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try metformin extended release. I have been on it for years. I am also on a birth control pill.
  • crossuturn
    crossuturn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here are two good websites to check out:

http://www.polycystic-ovary-syndrome-guide.com/natural-cures.html

http://pcosdiva.com/2011/02/natural-progesterone-for-pcos/

I personally am trying to get pregnant right now with PCOS and I am currently taking metformin. It has truly helped with the weight loss. I am also taking these vitamins daily: Prenatal multivitamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin D plus calcium, Vitamin E, and Fish Oil (for the omega-3). I have really noticed a difference in my appetite when I take my vitamins on a regular basis. I don't know how affective it is without meds since I am also on various fertility meds each month.
  • feliciaflores
    Options
    I found out i had pcos when i tried to get pregnant. i took metformin too. i didnt gain or lose weight but my hair started falling iut. what worked best for me was avoiding starches. low carb diet is best for us pcosers since we have metabolizing and insulin issuea. i also would like to say to thoae trying to get pregnant to stay positive! It will w ork! For me it was 2 rounds iui with clomid but 3 was a charm with letrozole and iui. Dont give up.
  • feliciaflores
    Options
    Sorry for typos in my post. i am adjusting to new keypad on my phone.
  • feliciaflores
    Options
    Good luck! I have been where you are! Stay focused and dont give up. you will get your little :happy: blessing!
  • sneakypackrat
    sneakypackrat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • danielledimedio1985
    Options
    bump
  • danielleduplantis
    Options
    http://www.sensible-alternative.com.au/female-hormones/polycystic-ovarian-syndrome

I wanted to share this site! I thought it was helpful for PCOS!
  • prawnie1975
    Options
    im on Noriday 350mg ... they worked but this month my period as been very heavy again , giving it one more month then if it doesn't change again im going back to see the Dr
  • Asianaaaa
    Asianaaaa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • avo6841
    Options
    I'm 37, I was diagnosed with pcos when I was 33 but I have had it since I was a teenager. The endocrinologist I saw gave me a prescription for metformin, being the stubborn person that I am..... I refused to take it, convinced that I could lose the weight on my own. The weight proved next impossible to lose, I have never been thin (165-175)most of my life....held at 190-200 for a while. I had been steadily gaining weight for the last 15 years and ballooned to 250lbs. 18 months after being diagnosed I was taking Metformin, It seemed to give me energy at first and I did lose about 10lbs immediately but it also made me so sick. for the next year I took it on and off because I wanted to give it a chance and I lost and gained that same 10lbs about three times because I would gain it back just as fast as I lost it every time I stopped my Metformin. I finally gave up on the Metformin after talking to my Dr. gave me no relief.
    My mother gave me a clipping from a magazine that recommended N-A-C for PCOS.....so I started taking N-A-C. After a month I quit smoking and have zero desire to smoke, I felt calmer but no period and I still had hair issues. I walked into my local Lassens natural foods store and the woman recommended Chiral Balance for the PCOS and rejuvenzyme for the cysts on my body. I've been using N-A-C 500mg by Jarrow three times a day, D-chiro-inositol twice a day by Chiral Balance and rejuvenzyme by source naturals for the last month and the combination seems to be working. I had my period for the first time in a year in the first month.....without any side effects. The main thing I noticed was that the bloating was gone, it reduced my cravings food and other, slowed my facial hair growth, I feel calm, I lost some weight, acne and cysts on my body and face are gone. I just ran out of the rejuvenzyme and the DCI and the first thing I noticed was my acne came back and that is about it so far. I am still taking the N-A-C. I have to admit that the price for D-chiro-inositol is steep @ $59 for a bottle of 60 capsules(for me and my weight is a one months supply) but so worth it. The N-A-C was about $10 for 200 capsules on sale, and the rejuvenzyme was about $15 for 60 capsules. I wish I had known about my PCOS sooner and about the alternative medicine the moment I found out about the PCOS. I'm glad my sister-in-law turned me on to myfitnesspal, the combination of this site and the vitamins has helped me so much and given me hope. I can't wait to see what the results will be in six months, year, two years. Sorry so long winded but I hope this helps.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    Old post, but...

I am on Yaz, it's been the only one that I do well with (the androgenic properties)
    Fish oil, a probiotic, vitamin D, deplin (a folate supplement that has REALLY made a difference for me), and a b12 supplement

and, of course, metformin ER
  • igetjunkemails
    igetjunkemails Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As this has had a bump....sorry for replying to old post!

I agree whole heartedly with fish oil (very very high quality) a fibre supplement (I take three on rotation) inositol before sleep, a bolus of Vitamin D taken twice a week, avoiding sugar at all costs, bringing magnesium levels back up to normal and then maintaining (this especially if you don't sleep well)

I used to suffer terribly from PCOS symptoms and the only option they kept pushing was the pill/drugs which I was against and never took (so stubborn!) and I've found these things in combination have really helped. I drink a LOT of caffeine normally but I avoid it two weeks into my cycle for at least 4 days and it seems to stop my being quite so affected by the progesterone rise/Oestrogens drop (no more sore boobs I can't even wear a bra with and uncontrollable sobbing for a whole morning once a month!)

PCOS is such a pain in the bum, wishing everyone suffering with symptoms so much support x