Help! On high protein diet but starting to hate the taste

Options
I've been on a high protein low carb diet for a week and a half now and everything is starting to taste funny. I've tried chicken, turkey, red meat, a few different types of fish, eggs and low fat cheeses but just about all of them are starting to make me want to gag? I've never had an aversion to meat or animal products before. Pretty disappointed this is happening so soon into a new program!

I'd love to hear from anyone who's experienced the same thing as well as any hints on making things a bit more interesting or masking the taste of things.

Replies

• JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Maybe diversify your flavors? Try adding a bit of sweet like cranberries or lingonberries to meat; there are lots of fruity tasting yogurts that are inexpensive, low in carbs, and high in protein. Also, nuts and seeds if you like them.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of trouble eating enough protein because I don't like just meat, fish or poultry by itself. I've read putting it in the crockpot makes it tender and tasty. There was a multi-page thread about 5 ingredient crockpot recipes - you could search for that. The recipes included other ingredients besides the protein item that sounded pretty good.

Protein powder in shakes and smoothies has been helpful. I like Body Fortress Chocolate Peanut Butter from WalMart.
  • nighat_asl
    Options
    yes bring some modiciations in your cooking method.
    someday try grilled items, other day simply roast them, then try to cook in curry, next day boil your meat

experimenting with spices would also bring new tastes to your food.

experiment with your batter also ......someday make a batter using cream and spices, someday simply use lemon juice and spices, ginger garlic paste with yoghurt and spices also makes a great batter for marination. you can also add different cheeses in your marination batter.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    maybe its time to balance them out. going low carb will sometime do that.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a high protein diet myself, so I'm not expert; but beans, chickpeas/hummus, and nuts are good sources of protein, as well as [organic/non gmo] tofu. I agree with the above suggestions of playing around with different marinades and seasonings. Pinterest is always a good source for trying to add variety to the same old food
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheese would make me gag too, the rest I can't help you with....just had bacon and a herb omelette which included cheese.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    maybe try a simple calorie deficit and eating stuff that isn't going to make you gag? If you're having an aversion to your "program" after just a week, why would you think it's going to last?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i think the real question here is why are you avoiding carbs?
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I hate chicken now... so instead I eat normally and use shakes.

Protein shakes.

It does wonders...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    i think the real question here is why are you avoiding carbs?
    My wife is back on her low carb kick (diet). She's carb sensitive in the respect if her diet has a lot of refined carbs, desserts and sugary things she can't control her appetite while dropping those, she never feels hungry......
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of trouble eating enough protein because I don't like just meat, fish or poultry by itself.

This is an odd thing to say - vegetarians and vegans manage to get plenty of protein without eating any animals. So the fact that you don't like it by itself really shouldn't be much of a hindrance.

I'd echo what everyone else has said including the fact that maybe this regime is not such a great idea if you're struggling after only a week. There's no need to eat refined carbs and sugary things. Good old vegies will do the trick.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Meat made me gag back when I was in my first trimester.
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Meat made me gag back when I was in my first trimester.

This is not uncommon. Discover magazine had an article by an evolutionary biologist who theorizes it's an adaptation early humans developed in order to be more sensitive to meat during pregnancy to avoid sicknesses caused by meat that hasn't been preserved or anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been directed to eat that way, why put yourself through this type of regimen?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    maybe its time to balance them out. going low carb will sometime do that.

this.

If it isn't working for you and making you miserable then do not do it. There are other ways to get to your goal.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If you find it easier to keep a calorie deficit on low carb, another option is carb cycling.
  • MirrorMe33
    MirrorMe33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I have been put on this program by my doctor (and yes it's for medical reasons) hence wanting to give it a decent go. It's the first time I've tried something quite like this so it's been steep learning curve! I've been on to low carb eating for over 12 months so thankfully I'm used to that, its just the sheer volume of protein that has been posing a problem. I'm getting a little home sick for the quantity and variety of veggies and fruit I usually eat as well!

The listed allowable foods is very restricted hence the questions to make meals a bit more interesting. The program also recommends to try and eat the real thing rather than bar or liquid substitutes though I've included small amounts of them so far so I don't go crazy. The results have completely blown me away hence the motivation to stick to it as much as possible.

For anyone who's curious, I've been put on the Healthpointe 2.0 program. Though apart from a lot of fantastic testimonials there isn't quite as much information online as I was hoping.

Thanks again for the tips, I really appreciate the help and support.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I have been put on this program by my doctor (and yes it's for medical reasons) hence wanting to give it a decent go. It's the first time I've tried something quite like this so it's been steep learning curve! I've been on to low carb eating for over 12 months so thankfully I'm used to that, its just the sheer volume of protein that has been posing a problem. I'm getting a little home sick for the quantity and variety of veggies and fruit I usually eat as well!

The listed allowable foods is very restricted hence the questions to make meals a bit more interesting. The program also recommends to try and eat the real thing rather than bar or liquid substitutes though I've included small amounts of them so far so I don't go crazy. The results have completely blown me away hence the motivation to stick to it as much as possible.

For anyone who's curious, I've been put on the Healthpointe 2.0 program. Though apart from a lot of fantastic testimonials there isn't quite as much information online as I was hoping.

Thanks again for the tips, I really appreciate the help and support.

I definitely reccommend experimenting with different herbs (fresh and dried) and spices. These don't add a lot of calories and can make a huge difference to the flavours. If it is possible you could start your own herb garden so you have fresh herbs on hand when you need them. These pack a big flavour punch. I like marinating my chicken in a Turkish spice blend and serving with a spoonful of greek yoghurt. I also love cooking Thai and Indian food, two cuisines that utilise a lot of herbs and spices
  • 12souza
    12souza Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    if you have a metallic taste in your mouth its not the protein.