On a "Top Ramen" kind of budget...

Options
Is there anyone out there who is on a low income or "Top Ramen" kind of budget? I want to eat healthier, but our family is on a low budget, so that doesn't help when it comes to eating a lot of healthy meals and snacks. Any suggestions? Is it still possible on a low budget to eat healthy? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lentils
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you use Reddit, check out the EatCheapAndHealthy subreddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/eatcheapandhealthy

Look at some of the popular posts, there are some good resources there!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, potatoes, lentils, other dry beans, pasta, rice. All of them can create a wide variety of dishes. (Some people even make savory oatmeal. I do not have it in me to try that. But there is still overnight oats, homemade granola/bars, cookies, regular oatmeal, oatmeal with fruit or chocolate chips.)

There are recipes online for making protein pancakes out of lentils and rice (both have to be soaked but not cooked for the recipe.)
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I cut my grocery bill in 1/2 by going to Costco (warehouse store). Many things were basically buy 2 get one free price compared to grocery store (eg at costco almond milk is $7 for a 3 pack, at store one is like $3.50).

You can stock up on things like quinoa, long grain brown rice, frozen veggies, cheese, frozen fruit bread etc all way cheaper than grocery store.

Oh funny enough sticking to a lower cal way of eating helps cut bill too lol.
  • miasapearl
    miasapearl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables, beans, rice. You can try shopping at discount grocery stores. Buy in bulk and freeze things when they go on sale or when things are about to spoil. My food budget is usually $20 - $25 per week for one person.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Cheap staples in our house are frozen vegetables, dry beans and rice, bags of potatoes, on-sale meats (we portion out and refreeze them for later use), and, lately, making our own bread, which is saving us a lot of money.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, potatoes, pasta, rice for carbs. All cheap.

Peanut butter for fats. Cheap.

Chicken breast for protein. I currently pay $1.50-$1.79/lb at the spanish supermarkets where I live. For some reason it's been really cheap lately, but normally it's $2-$2.29/lb.
  • mamabee103
    mamabee103 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, three kids and always poor lol. I recommend cooking normal for everyone, and altering your meal. Chicken thigh and leg quarters are very cheap. Oven bake them and pull the skin off for your meal. Brown rice, stir fry lean meat with veggies, also eggs are a cheap miracle food. I always keep staples, eggs, potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, and peppers. You can alternate many recipes from these. I avoid ground beef, and purchase round steak or eye of round steak instead. If you brown one or two steaks in a little oil with onion, add tomato sauce and cook on low till the meat is falling apart you have got it made. Pork is also inexpensive. Buy the bone in steaks. Anything skinless or boneless is way more, and it's so easy to do yourself. I hope this helps
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Top Ramen and tuna, just dont add in the sodium package.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Depends where you shop
    I always check out the newspaper to see what deals are going on.
    Always great places to shop : Walmart & 99 cent store
    Why buy top ramen, when you can get whole wheat pasta or regular pasta for the same price.
    You can buy grounded beef for cheap at walmart or your local supermarket and throw that in the mix.
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    Right now, yep, super poor this month. We are eating veggie soup, GF cornbread, GF spagetti, bread and peanut butter, tuna, oatmeal, pancakes for the kids, etc. Fresh fruit is cleaned up, some apples left, and oranges since they are seasonally safe, and the apples were discounted to 1.99 a bag for 5#. Some bruises, etc, but we can deal.

We shopped on clearance this week, using the deep freeze, shopped only for our menu list, and are sticking to it. Kids also get mac and cheese with salad, chicken nuggets with frozen broccoli and cauliflower, baked or pan seared potatoes in olive oil, etc. Cheap but mostly healthy. We have some other things we hadn't eaten yet too, that we didn't have to buy this week, like some cranberries, microwave popcorn, and 2 liters of soda for treats. That way we could splurge on laundry soap and toilet paper...
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, store brand wheat pastas, brown rice, and Jennie-O ground meats are your best friends. Also, coupons.com.
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Healthy food can be very easy on budget, you just need to plan n probably try to cook! See if the following tips help :

1. Buy food in bulk, invest in good containers.
    2. Do not buy canned beans, instead buy lentils & soak overnight. Cheap n unprocessed, Zero sodium food.
    3. Don't buy yogurt, it is the simplest thing to do at home.
    4. Buy Oats in bulk n try different ways to eat it. For savory ideas checkout my blog : http://themindblogging.blogspot.com/2013/10/can-i-sleep-for-5-more-minutes.html
    5. There are loads of curries that can be made with different type of pulses which go well with bread/rice. Gimme a shout or google for recipes. If you plan you won't have to repeat the same food for 2 weeks.
    6. The tip could be investing in pressure cooker. I can cook potatoes, pulses, rice, beans, vegetables in 5 minutes flat.
    7. Always soak beans, pulses, rice before cooking, it reduces cooking time. This is a very small change but big savings in a long term.
    7. Stop buying chips, biscuits, sodas instead invest in fruits.
  • qnotes
    qnotes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The beauty of rice and lentils is that they count as starch and veg-fiber, but they also make a complete protein.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Top Ramen and tuna, just dont add in the sodium package.

The noodles themselves aren't crash hot anyway as they're usually fried, if you're not going to use the flavouring-any regular pasta, rice or rice noodles will do the trick for a low price and lower calorie level.

Lentils, beans, rice and potatoes will get you far. Keep a good stock of spices (pure ones, rather than mixes will be cheaper) in your cupboard and adding flavour will be easy and affordable. As others have said, shop around for your meat, buy things on sale, portion and freeze what you can't use. I use smaller portions of meat and bulk up with cheap vegetables, but I have good access to produce where I am, so that may not be an option. A few well balanced vegetarian meals a week will help too; there are lots of delicious indian inspired dishes that don't require any meat-chickpeas and lentils are just as filling on their own.

Preplanning too-I write out my list, and go over it a number of times to make sure what I'm planning to buy all has multiple uses/good versatility so I won't have any wastage.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I usually spend about $240 on groceries for me and my son. I buy in bulk from a wholesale club and I buy cases of diced tomatoes, pastes and sauces as well as cases of canned veggies.

In addition, I will buy a huge thing of plain, slow cooked oatmeal, along with eggs, milk, ground beef, chicken sausage, orange juice, sweet potatoes, chicken and a big jar of coconut oil to fry in. Then, I will go to the smaller chain stores and buy smaller portions of things, such as bananas, dark red kidney beans, green pepper, pancake mix, onions, garlic, kiwi fruit, raspberries, blackberries, etc.

For example, at breakfast, I might make slow-cooked oatmeal and throw some fruit in it. For lunch, I might have a baked sweet potato, some canned green beans and a piece of meat and a snack of some sort to hold me over in between lunch and dinner. For dinner, I might make a big pot of chili and freeze half of it, for later meals.

I buy canned tomatoes, sauces and pastes because they provide the basis of all kinds of dishes, such as lasagna, spaghetti, chili, Mexican casserole, etc. Once, I have these ingredients, I basically just stockpile from there.

I have gotten so good at stockpiling that I only have to go to the grocery store once a month for most things and I still have food left over to last several months if I decided not to go to the store at all because of bad weather that is typical of here in the Midwest. I also invested in a deep freezer to help me stretch my meals and stockpile better.

My son is autistic and is a very picky eater, so I tend to have to cook two different meals most of the time, but when I go to the grocery store, I try to buy ingredients to make meals that I know he and I can both eat together, such as chili, spaghetti, nachos and hamburger helper. He will eat these dishes with no fuss.

Overall, eating on a budget just involves a little meal planning and buying and using ingredients that you can use more than once in different meals. For example, bananas are big popular item in my household and we go through them pretty quickly. Therefore, I will usually split one with my son as he likes his sliced in his oatmeal, and I like mine sliced in oatmeal as well. However, I will also eat a banana sliced on top of my pancakes accompanying other fruits. To preserve them longer, I will usually keep my bananas down in the cold basement; however, when they get overripe, I will bag them up and freeze them to use in a future smoothie.

I also try to buy fruit that I can freeze that is in season, such as cranberries and canned fruit like peaches that I can use at any given time, if I run out of the fresh stuff.
  • Jaymeow11
    Options
    look around i found a liquation food store by myhouse and there produce is unbelievable cheap!! the self life isnt as long tho but its worth the about 75%savings
  • jerameylovinglife
    jerameylovinglife Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Gardening Is a great way to cut a lot out of your bill. I started with a small garden just outside my door, and grew it to where now I only have a $250.00 grocery bill every month. This is for me, my wife, and son. Learn to can, and when you Can, buy a seal-a-meal, and a dehydrator. Both are around $50.00 a peace. And dont worry about a name brand I have cheep ones and they have lasted about 5 years. And like the person said before, a pressure cooker is great. I can a lot but you dont have to go out and buy new jars, I went to yard sails, and asked family if they had old mason jars . Total investment in jars to date is around $40.00. and I have a pantry full. You can sterilize old mason jars in the pressure cooker. makes them look Good as new. I hope this helped some. Just remember, no garden is to small If all you have is a planter with a tomato vine, and another with some pepers, you can Save $100.00 over the summer just growing them. Happy Gardening,
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Gardening Is a great way to cut a lot out of your bill. I started with a small garden just outside my door, and grew it to where now I only have a $250.00 grocery bill every month. This is for me, my wife, and son. Learn to can, and when you Can, buy a seal-a-meal, and a dehydrator. Both are around $50.00 a peace. And dont worry about a name brand I have cheep ones and they have lasted about 5 years. And like the person said before, a pressure cooker is great. I can a lot but you dont have to go out and buy new jars, I went to yard sails, and asked family if they had old mason jars . Total investment in jars to date is around $40.00. and I have a pantry full. You can sterilize old mason jars in the pressure cooker. makes them look Good as new. I hope this helped some. Just remember, no garden is to small If all you have is a planter with a tomato vine, and another with some pepers, you can Save $100.00 over the summer just growing them. Happy Gardening,

^ This is good!

We do this.... In addition to gardening you can also talk to vendors at your farmers market and see if they will sell to you at a "discount" what they have at end of day. I can't believe the great deals I have gotten on fresh vegetables and fruits at a fraction of the cost.

Also for a lot of canning you don't need a pressure cooker. A simple hot water bath is good. Just make sure to use current research-based recommendations from the USDA, NCHFP, The University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service, and other land-grant universities in the Cooperative Extension System. Do NOT use your mothers or grandma's recipes. Those old canning recipes may not be safe. Again only use research-based and tested methods.

Here are 2 good sites to start learning about food preservation...

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/community/food-preservation

http://nchfp.uga.edu/

Also folks have mentioned lentils...
    The same goes for all beans. Buy dry beans and big bags of rice. You can get both cheap at Indian or other Asian Markets. Mexican markets also sometimes sell fairly cheap as well.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm in for ideas. Lost my job in July and its been hard.