High Fat low Carb foods

jamie31
jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Can anyone give me some examples of high fat low carb foods??? I have redone my diet ratios and am going to try low carb ( about 100grams a day) I am not having a problem with adding protein but I cant seem to find many high fat foods that also have low calories. I am waaayyyyyy low on my fat grams every day. Please feel free to look at my diary. Any suggestions will help

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Can anyone give me some examples of high fat low carb foods??? I have redone my diet ratios and am going to try low carb ( about 100grams a day) I am not having a problem with adding protein but I cant seem to find many high fat foods that also have low calories. I am waaayyyyyy low on my fat grams every day. Please feel free to look at my diary. Any suggestions will help

add olive oil to soups and sauces, or on salads. Nut butters are another good source.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    cheese, macadamia nuts, bacon, cooking with coconut oil, cream cheese, tuna with mayo, eggs, olive oil, macadamia nut butter... those are a few :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    I consume 100 grams of carbs a day and 110 of protein--why do you want high fat? Healthy fat is great, but how much fat are you talking about?
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    I consume 100 grams of carbs a day and 110 of protein--why do you want high fat? Healthy fat is great, but how much fat are you talking about?

Some people do well (myself) on a higher fat diet. My current ratios are 10% carb, 40% protein, and 50% fat. This is when I lose the best and feel the best. Everyone has to find their own best balance. Mother's milk is 54% saturated fat. Mother nature wants me to eat fat. :)
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    I am only getting about 20-25 grams of fat a day. I need more to balance out my diet
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member

Some people do well (myself) on a higher fat diet. My current ratios are 10% carb, 40% protein, and 50% fat. This is when I lose the best and feel the best. Everyone has to find their own best balance. Mother's milk is 54% saturated fat. Mother nature wants me to eat fat. :)

wow. haven't seen these fat ratios before. pretty high.
    But whatever is working for you.
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    I eat sour cream on things! Cheese, nuts, and most non skim dairy products will up your fat. Also, try eating beef - higher fat than chicken :)
  • cathyL11
    cathyL11 Posts: 46 Member
    Hi there-- I'm new to MFP.com but I support your idea of trying a high fat low carb approach. I've been reading blogs by Greg Ellis MD and various other articles and am convinced that it is the right approach. I believe however that one needs to still keep calories under control -- but this approach has been the most satisfying for me for the least number of calories. I am trying to keep my calories to about 1000-1100/day as that seems to produce the most wellbeing and weight loss.
    I am trying to eat full fat yogurt and more fatty cuts of meat but dang it's hard to find them --- everything these days is low fat or zero fat. I am also using lots of coconut oil or beef fat, or lard to cook my food with.
    Everything I read seems to support the notion that even if it leads to higher cholesterol levels there is actually NO EVIDENCE to support the theory that high serum cholesterol leads to heart disease.
    Good luck with your approach.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Peanut butter!!!!!

I also love to have 100 calorie almond packs and other nut butters.

If you are still low on fats, try using whole eggs instead of egg beaters or egg whites, and adding canola oil to your meals.
  • nate94gt
    nate94gt Posts: 2
    Regular cottage cheese, almonds, adding olive oil to foods. I cook bacon and eggs and whatever else i fry in olive oil. if you eat salads, put cheese on them along w/ hardboiled eggs (the WHOLE egg), and a salad dressing, such as ranch, thats high in fat and low in sugar.

You can turn a 50 calorie salad into a 500+ calorie plate of deliciousness. I also eat 2% greek yogurt. Yeah, its got some sugar, but it also has a lot of protein and fat. Pepperoni, hamburger, peanut butter are a few others foods i eat often.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member

Use coconut oil. It's good for you and offers a delicious flavor.
  • Basically what this person is talking about is something referred to as "Keto". Keto is great because it closely resembles the fat, carb, and protien ratios of caveman. There where no fat cavepeople. They ate lots of meat, which had lots of fat. Agriculture was not apart of their life, so they didn't have access to high carb foods, such as plant-based material. It is actually a more common lifestyle than many would think. I, myself, am a Keto girl.
    I would suggest going to Reddit Keto. There is a great community of Keto followers there. Also this site, http://blahblahblahketo.tumblr.com/tagged/keto-recipes, is a life-saver for me. I love baked goods and now I can enjoy my favorite versions of them.
  • Dairy Products
    Meat Products
    Try yogurts, cottage cheese. Has good proteins
    Eggs also great source for protein and fats
  • Higher fat foods have higher cals compared to carbs, proteins. 9 cals per gram of fat 4 per each pro/carb
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member

even if those numbers are true (which i don't think they are - i think it's closer to FIVE % fat) you mean mother nature wants NEWBORNS to eat high fat. Not sure that carries over to adults, but what do i know:noway:
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member

wow. haven't seen these fat ratios before. pretty high.
    But whatever is working for you.

High fat in diet is not uncommon. I eat 10% carb, 20% protein and 70% fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    Basically what this person is talking about is something referred to as "Keto". Keto is great because it closely resembles the fat, carb, and protien ratios of caveman. There where no fat cavepeople. They ate lots of meat, which had lots of fat. Agriculture was not apart of their life, so they didn't have access to high carb foods, such as plant-based material. It is actually a more common lifestyle than many would think. I, myself, am a Keto girl.
    I would suggest going to Reddit Keto. There is a great community of Keto followers there. Also this site, http://blahblahblahketo.tumblr.com/tagged/keto-recipes, is a life-saver for me. I love baked goods and now I can enjoy my favorite versions of them.
    Which caveman are you talking about? Oh, you must be talking about that guy that lived north where vegetation was scarce......in winter. Right! What about those other cave people where it was perpetual summer or tropical.....wonder what they ate...any guesses?
  • fruttibiscotti
    Foods high fat low carb:

Avocado
    Egg
    Cheese, full fat
    Nuts (be careful, some are high in carbs like cashews. Macadamia are lowest carb)
    Full fat Greek yogurt, +10 milk fat%
    Butter
    Bacon
    Cream cheese
    Mayonnaise
    French sauces, like bearnaise and holondaise
    Olives
    Tuna packed in olive oil (really yummy!)
    Ribeye steak
    Eat the skin on chicken!
    Frozen veg fried in lots of butter
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    I eat sour cream on things! Cheese, nuts, and most non skim dairy products will up your fat. Also, try eating beef - higher fat than chicken :)

Those are all high carb, except the beef.

OP, have you shared your diary? I didn't see it.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Basically what this person is talking about is something referred to as "Keto". Keto is great because it closely resembles the fat, carb, and protien ratios of caveman. There where no fat cavepeople. They ate lots of meat, which had lots of fat. Agriculture was not apart of their life, so they didn't have access to high carb foods, such as plant-based material. It is actually a more common lifestyle than many would think. I, myself, am a Keto girl.
    Which caveman are you talking about? Oh, you must be talking about that guy that lived north where vegetation was scarce......in winter. Right! What about those other cave people where it was perpetual summer or tropical.....wonder what they ate...any guesses?

There was a large variety of macro ratios in the various indigenous and ancestral food cultures. One thing in common though is that their food was not procured in styrofoam trays or seal packages, devoid of fibre and nutrients.
This discussion has been closed.