Overweight Runner

Options
Hey folks. In the last 3 months or so, I've discovered a love for running (outdoors, partially road and partially trail) and have come a long way with it. I began with just walking, as I'm 5'7" and was 240 pounds when I began, but I did it for an hour a day, 6 days a week for a month straight. That helped me quickly improve my cardio capabilities and I found myself wanting to run because I was walking so fast. Also, thumbs up for the fact that heavy girls can burn a TON of calories in an hour of fast-paced walking.

During month two, I began jogging (slowly... and I mean s.l.o.w.l.y) at intervals and discovered Couch to 5k, which has been a neat way to increase my running ability. At this point, my focus is on running for time rather than really speed or distance. I want to be able to run at a pace comfortable to me for 30 minutes without taking walking breaks. I've lost 23 pounds and can currently run about 5 minutes without taking a break to walk. If I push, I may be able to make it 6 or 7, but my breathing is out of control by that point.

Anyway, I could use a few pointers. If I'm going to continue monitoring my intake of calories and focusing specifically on proper nutrient intake in order to lose weight as well as continuing to train as a runner, how many days per week should I run? C25K suggests 3 days per week, but I feel anxious if I let two days go by without getting out on the trail.

What stretches should I do before running? I usually try and make sure to stretch out my calves, hamstrings, and quads as well as doing a few things to move my hip joints around as they end to get stiff or sore while I run/walk. I also get pretty intense back pain while running in the middle of my back.

I have 2 pairs of running shoes: I've a pair of Nike Frees and a pair of Asics- I feel confident that my shoes are right for me and they fit perfectly.

I'm just looking for words of wisdom because I'm excited about this journey and I want to make sure I go about this properly so as not to set myself back with an injury.

Thanks in advance, Fitness Pals. :)

Replies

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I would say running every other day would be best so you recover properly from each run.

Try and mix things up a bit with the odd much shorter run say 3 k but run it above your normal pace even if that means 3min run 1 min walk.

Then once a week slow things right down and go foe a longer run of say 8k if you are doing 5ks now. But as I said slow things right down, run/walk about 4:1 never getting totally out of breath but recovering enough to go further.

Then just give it time. Things will get easier and you will find those fast short runs get quicker or longer and the long runs have less walking.

Lastly push yourself! Go for that 6 or 7 minutes towards the end of a run to see just how far you can go. There is no shame is taking 20mins on your hands and knees after a good run trying to get your breath back.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    BUMP for more tips
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Bump for tips - I'm starting C25K soon!
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Interval training is definitely the way to go to build stamina really quickly. Cough to 5k is an excellent program for this. Stick with it, and don't feel bad about only doing 3 days a week; you need time to recover in-between, and this will be more and more true as you get further into the program.

There's a warm up of a brisk walk in C25k, that should be all the stretching you need to do. if you find that you're getting tightness in certain muscles (probably calves) then you can always stretch them beforehand especially, but if you don't feel you need to then don't.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Seems like you are already doing a lot of things right!!

Recovery days are very important in building up your stamina, so 3 times a week seems a good thing. And change up your runs, to make it even more fun :)

Build up slowly - your lung condition generally improves much faster than your body adjusts, so especially when you are a little overweight, and you start running too much and too long for too soon, injuries are a serious risk. This happened to me, bust my knee when I was still a little overweight, and it took me very long to properly get back on the road again. So not worth it. Someone else already said run slow - I second that. First try to run slower for longer periods, before working on increasing your speed.

If you can already run for 5-6 minutes straight, you will be able to build up to 30 mins without breaks, as long as you don't run too fast! A programme like couch 25k can give you schedules for runs. Or you can pm me, and I'll send you the dutch one I used. But there's plenty on the internet to be found!

Oh and for stretching - make sure to warm up and cool down, and stretch before and after a run. And you need to stretch for quite some time, it takes about a minute for a stretch to really have an effect. Calves, hamstrings and quads seem right on target. I also quite like to loosen my shoulders before I start running, and try to make sure I don;t have any tension in my upper body. Oh, and I love to stretch after a run by standing on the staircase with just my toes, and pushing my weight down on my heels.

For stretching your lower back - which I'd recommend you to do if it starts hurting you after a run, you can lie on the floor and put your legs on a chair. Or sit on a chair and bend forward. Or google for lower back stretches, and try some out to find ones that work for you.

Hope you have fun, and happy running!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to become a runner, not that I'm biased but ........running rocks.

Take your time building your endurance, the goal is to run injury free and have fun. Most injuries are a result of trying to do too much, too soon, too fast and there are a lot of physiological adaptations going on along the path to being a runner.

Here are a couple of links to articles on runners world's website re: pre-run warm ups

http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/how-and-why-you-should-warm-up-before-a-run

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/dynamic-warmup-runners

the warmup in the video is pretty much what I do.

Don't forget to cross-train. On non-running days (for now running every 2nd day is probably a good idea to give you time to adequately recover) swim, ride your bike, do strength training (especially important for runners) and, most importantly.....have fun!
  • LeboneM
    Options
    Also add in Some exercises that strengthen the core, very important for running. Check fitsuga dot com for some help.
  • Grumbers
    Grumbers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    From my experience, and I may be told I'm completely wrong, I find it's best to keep going, however slow that is. Personally I think it's better to run a whole 30 minutes non stop, even if you're just at walking pace but still doing a running motion, than to run quick for 5 minutes, stop, quick for 5 minutes, stop, etc etc.

As long as your legs are going up and down, one off the ground at all times, you're running. Don't worry about speed!

:)

On the flip side, you can use your current capacity to your advantage and turn it in to a form of HIIT where you go at serious pace for a minute, walk for two, sprint for a minute, walk for two, etc etc....

But overall, well done! Running is great fun! The fact you've started makes you 90% of the way there! :)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Hey folks. In the last 3 months or so, I've discovered a love for running (outdoors, partially road and partially trail) and have come a long way with it. I began with just walking, as I'm 5'7" and was 240 pounds when I began, but I did it for an hour a day, 6 days a week for a month straight. That helped me quickly improve my cardio capabilities and I found myself wanting to run because I was walking so fast. Also, thumbs up for the fact that heavy girls can burn a TON of calories in an hour of fast-paced walking.

During month two, I began jogging (slowly... and I mean s.l.o.w.l.y) at intervals and discovered Couch to 5k, which has been a neat way to increase my running ability. At this point, my focus is on running for time rather than really speed or distance. I want to be able to run at a pace comfortable to me for 30 minutes without taking walking breaks. I've lost 23 pounds and can currently run about 5 minutes without taking a break to walk. If I push, I may be able to make it 6 or 7, but my breathing is out of control by that point.

Anyway, I could use a few pointers. If I'm going to continue monitoring my intake of calories and focusing specifically on proper nutrient intake in order to lose weight as well as continuing to train as a runner, how many days per week should I run? C25K suggests 3 days per week, but I feel anxious if I let two days go by without getting out on the trail.

What stretches should I do before running? I usually try and make sure to stretch out my calves, hamstrings, and quads as well as doing a few things to move my hip joints around as they end to get stiff or sore while I run/walk. I also get pretty intense back pain while running in the middle of my back.

I have 2 pairs of running shoes: I've a pair of Nike Frees and a pair of Asics- I feel confident that my shoes are right for me and they fit perfectly.

I'm just looking for words of wisdom because I'm excited about this journey and I want to make sure I go about this properly so as not to set myself back with an injury.

Thanks in advance, Fitness Pals. :)

Go out whenever you feel like it, although I would recommend 1-3 days off a week. Depends on the intensity of the runs you are going on.

Look for local races in due course is my recommendation. See if there is a Parkrun near you, which is a free 5km race, nothing serious. You just turn up with your barcode and run, all abilities - www.parkrun.org

Stretches - I tend to do stretches for the hamstrings, calves and quads too. I went to see a physio last year following a minor injury and she recommended holding each stretch for 30-60 seconds.

Running shoes - not a good idea to recommend on here specific shoes. You could look on the internet to see what shape foot you are (e.g. neutral) and then find a shoe site that advises accordingly. Best thing is to go to a running shop and ask an expert who can analyse your foot in more detail though.
  • Jacob_Whittle
    Options
    If you feel bad about not exercising on the recovery days try doing a different activity. i.e. walking cycling swimming or whatever.

Have a Google search about active recovery. A lot of people swear by it.
  • jmock87
    jmock87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    From my experience, and I may be told I'm completely wrong, I find it's best to keep going, however slow that is. Personally I think it's better to run a whole 30 minutes non stop, even if you're just at walking pace but still doing a running motion, than to run quick for 5 minutes, stop, quick for 5 minutes, stop, etc etc.

As long as your legs are going up and down, one off the ground at all times, you're running. Don't worry about speed!

:)

On the flip side, you can use your current capacity to your advantage and turn it in to a form of HIIT where you go at serious pace for a minute, walk for two, sprint for a minute, walk for two, etc etc....

But overall, well done! Running is great fun! The fact you've started makes you 90% of the way there! :)

I agree with this, but may also be told I'm very very wrong!

I run like a slug that has got caught up in peanut butter! People actually walk faster than me, I'm sure of it! But I personally want to get my distance and I'm hoping that pace will come. Only time will tell! Doesn't feel awesome to go from not being able to run 100m to running 5km though?? Congrats!!
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been told to never static stretch before running. The walking should be enough of a warm up for C25K then once you've finished but are still warm do your static stretches for quads, calves, etc. Personally I stuck to the 3 days running a week and then did 2-3 days cross training/ active recovery (a brisk walk, swimming, pilates, etc) and 1-2 days rest a week when I did C25K. Don't overdo it as running is hard on the body and it will need time to recover.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    I am sticking to C25K religiously as haven't ran for a large number of years.

I find the 5 minute warm up is sufficient for stretching etc and also find the every other day plan works well.
    Over the weekend I endeavour to fit in a long walk normally with a set of golf clubs which keeps things moving before starting the next week.

I am only on Week 2 Day 2 but up til now this has really allowed me to re-develop running capability and looking forward to the challenge in subsequent weeks.

You are doing great btw.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Well done!! You've already got some great advice. Everyone is different, I can only run 3 or 4 times a week comfortably, some people run every day. But, you do need to take days off. At least one full day of rest.

Are you strength training? Running will be easier the stronger you get. Be sure to include some core work. No gym required, planks, push ups, lunges and burpees can all be done at home or in the middle of your run. Your body will notice! You will torch even more calories by crosstraining.

Stretch after your run. And those foam rollers are wonderful!

Yoga is also a great way to improve your running along with a million other reasons.

Go to Runners world or other websites for inspiration, training programs, stretches and more advice.

You can't beat a good running store for proper fitting of a shoe. You said you have back pain - that won't improve by running 6 days a week. Check your form as well..

Enjoy!!
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    You guys are fantastic! So much good advice. I'll be checking into the articles provided and working some strength training into my routine on my days off from running-that should make me feel more productive. :)

I've been told by lots of friends and family that looking into yoga for runners would help me a lot, so I'll definitely be doing that as well. Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement!