A new runner with Shin Splints

Options
2»

Replies

• purch1977
    purch1977 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    mroliver I am doing the clumber park on the 22nd March Not long now!! I will be doing the sprint version as this will be the farthest i have ever been in competition and feel i need to build up to it also March will be bloody cold!!!
    i will be out for a run this lunch same route as yesterday but going to stick it to an interval training session 15 to 20 minutes.

don't forget calf stretches and also shin exercises all muscle pain is basically and imbalance between muscles.
    keep us posted on how you are getting on!!
  • CaliLizard
    Options
    I've read simply sitting up in a chair, palms on your knees and lifting your toes towards your knees while keeping your ankles grounded will help stretch those shin muscles and prevent splints.
  • mroliver1980
    mroliver1980 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Will do, thanks.

I wimped out of a run last night and did a Sufferfest Vid on the Turbo trainer in my bike torture chamber, but will be back out this week on my trotters.

Guess you're up in Nottinghamshire somewhere based on your choice of Duathlon!
  • purch1977
    purch1977 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    yeap!! central Nottingham my current training route is a little country park that is about 2.5k long, with some nice hilly bits.
    just out of curiosity when you run do you wear compression on your legs?( tights or socks or calf guards?)
    the reason for the ask is today i have done the same run as yesterday, today was without compression and i didnt get shin splints and also did a PB for the 2.5km?
  • nadiaisobel
    nadiaisobel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I suffered from terrible shin splits. I made sure to make extra effort to stretch out my calves before and after my runs as well as incorporated calf exercises into my strength training work outs. However I think the only thing that really helped was giving it time - push through and as you become a better runner shin splints will become a thing of the past!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that I don't do any stretching before or after a run. The only warmup I do is walking or a light jog.

reference: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/reasons-not-to-stretch/?_r=0
    (there is more info on it, but to lazy to link)

The shin splints might be a combination of shoes, but you have good ones, and your heel toe strike. Make sure you are coming down on the toe or mid-foot, not your heel.
    I am moving twords minimalist shoes. Right now my old brooks have a 4mm drop, once the snow melts I'm going to look into a pair of 0mm drop.

good luck!

Also +1 on the foam roller.
  • photoguy60
    Options
    I used to have that problem all the time and there's a couple things you can do to at least alleviate some of it. First is to wrap you're legs. I got that from back in the day in High School Football. Start wrapping just above the ankle and wrap clockwise and up on you're right leg and counterclockwise and up on your left leg. That's so you pull the ligaments together. The other thing is going to be a learning program. I once read that shin splints are caused by the way you walk/run. Take notice of how your feet land for every step you take. You will probably find your toes point outwards each time. If that's the case the focus on taking each step so that your feet point straight forward. This has helped me tremendously over the years. Keeping your feet straight is a concentrated effort and I still have to check myself now and then. Especially when I start to feel a twinge in my shins. Good luck to you on your duathalon!
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Believe it not after commenting on this a couple of days ago my shin splints are threatening to come back after a tough treadmill session tonight! I've clearly not been following my own advice and was probably guilty of upping mileage too much too fast. Oops! However I found this article on Runners World that might be of interest so thought I would share it
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints