not noticing weight loss

Options
my boyfriend and my mum have both said I've lost a lot of weight. I really don't see it. I *know* I've lost weight. I've gone from a UK size 18 to between a 12 & 14 (12's tight, 14's too loose.) my face looks slimmer but I don't notice anything else.

has anyone else been in this situation & if so, how long has it taken for you to notice your weight loss? I'm feeling really unmotivated at the moment.

Replies

• SheridanLT
    SheridanLT Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It took a long while for anyone, including myself, to notice any loss. It is hard to not get discouraged, but don't.

Stay the course...that is my motto. Screen saver and everything boasts that little phrase.

Keep doing what you are doing...it will happen.
  • lollie_789uk
    lollie_789uk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello. I lost a lot of weight previously (and have since put it all back on). I found the mental aspects of weight loss the hardest thing to deal with. Like you, I knew I had lost weight- smaller clothes, comments, number on scale lower but in my head I was still the fat chick.
    I can't tell you how long this will last but what I wanted to tell you was please don't give up now. As someone who did give up and undid all my hard work I can tell you that you will come to regret it at sometime.

Sorry i haven't offered any help.
    Just keep going.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It's hardest for us to see it on ourselves since we look in the mirror many times a day. I've gone from a 12 (pushing 14) to a 0/2. Sometimes I see the difference, and sometimes I don't. When I see a pair of jeans on a hanger in the store, I think, "Those look tiny--they'll never fit me." And then they do--possibly even loosely! But once they're on me, they don't look so small anymore since I still see myself as bigger. I think it will just take some time for our brains to catch up.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Start taking progress photos, it helps force your brain see the changes and is a great way to keep motivated.
  • Andaisy1
    Andaisy1 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It's hard to notice the changes in yourself, but I've found that taking before/current/after pictures really helps see the difference and keep me motivated. You've had some great success and are going in the right direction. Keep going!
  • nannigans
    nannigans Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I lost around 100 lbs at one point and time ( I have since gained it back), I was in a size eight around 150lbs, I was the smallest I had ever been in my life, yet I still saw myself as the same big girl that I always was. It was the craziest thing to me, and I had even posted on here about how I had no confidence trying to find someone who was going through the same emotions and no one really responded. Anyhow, look at old pictures from your previous weight, put on an old pair of your "fat" jeans, but you have made a big accomplishment to go from an 18 to a 12, so be proud. Don't make the same mistake as me, if you never see yourself as thin or thinner, you will never see yourself slowly putting the weight back on. I have since gained over 100lbs, now and I am so regretful, but I know it was because I had never saw myself as a thin person. Now looking back at the pics of me at my thinest I would give anything to go back!!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Another vote for taking photos!! Seeing yourself every day doesn't really allow you to notice changes as day to day the changes aren't significant. Over a 4 week period though, the changes should be more noticeable - I took front, back and side photos in the same bathers/underwear to compare...and was usually shocked! :)
  • losinglbslovinglife
    Options
    thank you people. I will try keep a photo record thing :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I was in the restroom at work, alone and looked in the mirror and turned around to see who was in the room with me because I didn't look like I thought I should, like that person is skinny and it can't be me. It's a hard mental state for sure. I'm half the size I used to be with about 60 more lbs to go. Don't give up