Press/Push ups

Options
I have seen a few people doing press/push ups where they have had there feet on a bench and doing them that way. Is there and benefits of this?

Replies

• SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Elevated push ups either increase or decrease the challenge of a push up.

If the hands are elevated then it decreases the challenge as less weight is on the upper body.

If the feet are elevated then it increases the challenge as more weight is distributed throughout the upper body. Also targets more of the smaller muscle groups.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    woah you met a minion..... my 3 yr old daughter will be SOOOOO jealous!!

doing push-ups with your feet elevated makes it more difficult. To gain strength and keep on gaining strength you need to progressively increase the amount you lift. With weights, this is easy. With bodyweight exercises (such as push-ups) you need to find ways to make them progressively difficult. Raising the feet is one way to do this. The higher you raise them the harder it is, right up to doing handstand push-ups.
  • Jamie23Durkin
    Options
    Ok. Thank you for the help. I just wasn't to sure if it would be any different but now i know :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    doing push-ups with your feet elevated makes it more difficult. To gain strength and keep on gaining strength you need to progressively increase the amount you lift. With weights, this is easy. With bodyweight exercises (such as push-ups) you need to find ways to make them progressively difficult. Raising the feet is one way to do this. The higher you raise them the harder it is, right up to doing handstand push-ups.

Perfect response! This is exactly how I progressed toward handstand push-ups
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    also changes where you hit your chest- I want to say decline (feet up) hit higher and closer- more shoulder- the higher you get the more shoulder you get- and the less deep and wide you are into the pec muscles.

any time you change a facet of a movement- it changes how it affects you- not only is it a progression- but realize it's hitting a difrent facet of that muscle.

This is why people do big lifts- then accessory lifts.

I do off set/stagger push ups- for lack of a better description. So I bench- then I have a dumbbell- and I put my feet on the bench and just one hand on the dumbbell- and I push- it really hits the hand that's elevated- deeper range of motion down.

I do five then walk my hands over so I switch sides.

Great for your chest :D
  • Jamie23Durkin
    Options
    Thanks everyone. These comments have been a great help. Much appreciated