Juicing

Options
Hey All,
Just wondering how you would track fruit/vegetable juice that you make with a juicer.
Thanks!

Replies

• mskwatkins
    mskwatkins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm preparing to do a 3 day juice fast. Just wanting to detox from all the holiday binging. ;) I'm doing the "Reboot with Joe" 3-day fast which says that if you follow the diet then it should be roughly 1200 cals/day. Which one are you following?
  • Hbarry7
    Hbarry7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump, to see answers.

I was looking for this answer over the weekend too. I read somewhere "to log all the veggies/fruits that go into making the jucie since the leftover/non-used pulp is virtually calorie-free", but I don't know what to think about that. It was just some random website with no scientific data about it.
  • dubnut71
    dubnut71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you watched his film "fat sick and nearly dead?" Very inspirational film!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    This assumes that you are using a juicer that discards all the fiber...

When I have made juice, for calorie counts I take the grams of fiber in the fruits/vegetables that I used, multiply that by 4, then subtract that from the total calories.

For total carbs, you would subtract the grams of fiber from the carbs.

Edit to re-arrange the text.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    enter everything into the recipe builder for that particular juice and other juices. I don't juice but I cook and make most of my meals from scratch ingredients...recipe builder is awesome. It can take some time but once you have stuff entered in there you just click on it an you're done.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hey All,
    Just wondering how you would track fruit/vegetable juice that you make with a juicer.
    Thanks!

I use the juicing entries whenever possible. Works for carrots, but not some other stuff.
  • hcivitarese
    hcivitarese Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I made a recipe from juicerecipes.com - http://juicerecipes.com/recipes/beginner-green-59

I found that they actually break down all the nutritional data for you. So then I just created a food item. I may just stick to recipes from this site :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I'm preparing to do a 3 day juice fast. Just wanting to detox from all the holiday binging. ;) I'm doing the "Reboot with Joe" 3-day fast which says that if you follow the diet then it should be roughly 1200 cals/day. Which one are you following?

Your organs do a great job of detoxing all by themselves.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You don't! Just Juice!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    You don't! Just Juice!

:ohwell:
  • mskwatkins
    Options
    This assumes that you are using a juicer that discards all the fiber...

When I have made juice, for calorie counts I take the grams of fiber in the fruits/vegetables that I used, multiply that by 4, then subtract that from the total calories.

For total carbs, you would subtract the grams of fiber from the carbs.

Edit to re-arrange the text.

Great idea. I think I'll start calculating calories for juicing this way. It seems to make more sense.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I made a recipe from juicerecipes.com - http://juicerecipes.com/recipes/beginner-green-59

I found that they actually break down all the nutritional data for you. So then I just created a food item. I may just stick to recipes from this site :)

Thanks so much for this website! This is awesome!
  • mskwatkins
    Options

Thanks so much for this website! This is awesome!

Great find!
  • mskwatkins
    Options
    Update: I completed my first 3-day juice fast. :smile:

While I was juicing...
    I didn't feel extremely hungry like I thought I would. Food did seem to smell extra good to me though.
    I noticed that, by day 2, my face was not oily and had a healthy glow. Also, I usually have pain in my neck and shoulders at the end of each day, so much so that I frequently have to sleep with a heating pad on to get comfortable. The pain was gone by day 2!:happy:

The downside...
    When I went back to eating food. I decided to ease back into it. So I just stuck to grains, fruits and veggies for the first few days post-fast. The first day after the fast... I FELT LIKE CRAP! You know that empty, weak feeling you have after you've been sick with the flu for several days. Yeah, that's how I felt! It took the whole day and part of the next before I felt 100%.

Takeaways...
    I lost 6 lbs. during the 4 days of preparation and the actual fast, but I didn't feel that it was a "healthy way" to do it. While I'm sure that there are some health benefits to juicing, as I experienced them first-hand; I don't think that I will ever do a fast again. I feel that my body needs those macro-nutrients that get omitted when only consuming juice. However, I will continue to add juicing in as part of my daily diet in conjunction with food as it is much more healthy than those store bought juices and is a great way to add natural vitamins and micro-nutrients to the diet..

I'm curious to know... What were your experiences with juicing?